2004 TL from a TSX lover's point of view

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003 | 05:33 PM
TSX Lover

2004 TL from a TSX lover's point of view

Here is a mini review from a long time TSX fan and Acura-TSX.com (and formally that other site to remain nameless) member. Sorry guys I haven’t posted for a while, but I have been lurking now and then. I took a 2004 TL out for a test drive last night.

First impressions with the TL:

It looks unbelievably nice in person. The dealership I went to had a white diamond pearl one on a revolving platform you could see from the Interstate, which displaced a TSX they had there before. Needless to say it made for a spectacular view. For those that say it looks white a not pearl, I don’t understand what they are talking about.

In the showroom another pleasure, the Abyss Blue is gorgeous, my wife really liked that one. The camel leather I didn’t like as well as the cognac leather in my Vigor. I am a little disappointed about that, but it was under fluorescent like in showroom. That may have played a part in my opinion.

The interior of the car I tested was parchment. It is a tad bit darker than the parchment on the TSX and wood looks a lot nicer as well. I very fine combination.

The sound system is wonderful. I have a number of DVD-Audio titles and I am itching to try them out with this system. Unfortunately I didn’t have them with me. I just played the dealer’s demo DVDA last night. The separation and clarity rivals my high-end home system, but the sub seemed to be the week spot. Many tracks had substantial base distortion. A new sub may be required to get the most of the system. Also a hint for all you guys and gals test driving the car, make sure the base and treble are flattened out to get a true test of the system. Set the settings to your preference later of course, but it is always good to get a baseline first. Some idiot had both maxed out.

The exterior was black and definitely gave the car a modern day classic look.

I don’t want bore you with other things you have heard about the car 1000 times before from other people. SO ON TO THE TEST DRIVE!!!!

All the TL’s they had were automatic. This being said, I will hold my final judgment until I drive a 6MT in a few weeks. The TL’s 6MT has a stiffer suspension, better brakes, and a LSD. And from my test drive they are all sorely need. I have never experienced torque steer on either a 5AT or 6MT TSX, but the 5AT TL had torque steer every time I pushed it hard from a standing start. It is not heavy torque steer, but it is there. I didn’t do any hard braking, so I can’t comment on the brakes. The 5AT TL also is nowhere near as tossable as the TSX. I didn’t have the same level of confidence in cornering as even my 10 yr. old Vigor. Maybe it was just because it was a bigger car, but I hope the stiffer suspension on the 6MT will make a great difference, or I will be saving 6 grand and buying the TSX.

I can’t over emphasize my last point. The 5AT TL handles closer to the Honda Accord coupe than the TSX. Check out the video on VTEC.net to get a good feel on what I am talking about. I can’t believe someone actually has reported that the 5AT TL handles as good or better than the TSX. On the plus side the acceleration was very similar to the Accord couple. It is a very quick car.

Again I want to test the 6MT before I make my final decision. I love the DVD-Audio, bluetooth, etc., but right now the TSX is clearly my kind of vehicle. My two cents, let the flames begin.
Old 10-08-2003 | 05:46 PM
Race Director

wow, Is the Handling of the TL that bad?

Maybe you psychologically thought the handling was not that good..

The thing is lots of people are biased, and psychologically, failed to admit that the TL is a good car, like many TSX owners and Many 2nd GEN TL Owners..

Not saying thats you, but that might be the case with Larchmont and that Skull Guy

Not to hate or flame, I am just stating that, it is a possibility

Or maybe because the car was bigger, you felt that it would not be as good as TSX..

But It is your own opinion, and nothing is wrong with that
Old 10-08-2003 | 05:53 PM
Yeah..

Originally posted by prballard
... My two cents, let the flames begin.
No flames here...thanks for taking the time to share your honest opinions and observations.
Old 10-08-2003 | 05:55 PM
TSX Lover

Well, I might be missed up in the head then. I agree with the vast majority of what Larch says about the TL. The skull, no comment. I doesn't handle bad, but the TSX amazes me the way it handles. I still may buy the TL, but the 6MT must have a much different suspension than the 5AT. BTW I don't own a TSX, I am still trying to decide, so the term I think you were looking for is "Cognitive dissidence" and it doesn't apply to me. I will keep an open mind and hope to get a 6MT TL on the twisty windies soon.
Old 10-08-2003 | 06:07 PM
Race Director

I See, so Maybe the real reason is, that the TSX IS JUST THAT GOOD!
Old 10-08-2003 | 06:18 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by 2004TL
Now you are talking. The TL is a great car and will be a wonderful seller for Acura, but it just may not handle as well as the TSX. Would that be all that bad? There was a quote from Honda Tuning magazine that the TSX was 2nd only to the NSX in handling of all Honda products, that includes the S2000. I don't remember the site. I posted this article here months ago. I will see if I can find it.

Here we go http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...=&threadid=502
Old 10-08-2003 | 06:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the excellent review, prballard! The only thing I would disagree with is that the handling is nowhere close to an Accord, otherwise I agree. I think the handling would definitely be better with the lowering springs, though. I'll be waiting for those to appear at the dealer and hope they're not too expensive.
Old 10-08-2003 | 08:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by 2004TL
Yes, the TSX is that good! I test drove the TL (auto, non-nav) on Monday and then had my second test drive of the TSX (auto, non-nav) this afternoon. Yes, the TL is fast and the interior is amazing, but from a handling standpoint the TSX has the TL beat, no questions asked. I actually gave the 'fit and finish' edge to the TSX as well. There is just something about the way the doors close in the TSX...

I kept comparing the interiors and the only 'significant' edge the TL has over the TSX is shoulder and hip room. With me not being a big guy (5'11', 175 lbs), I was comfortable in the back seat of both cars.

I made these comparisons because I was trying to justify spending the additional $6160 (33,195 - 27,035) for a TL. Don't get me wrong, the TL is an excellent car and perfect for someone who wants the best blend of luxury and sport in one vehicle. But for me personally, I'd rather have a TSX in my garage.

And maybe I'm biased. I have '96 Integra SE Sedan that I love to drive and driving the TL did not give me that same driving excitement even with almost twice the hp. The TL (w/ auto tranny) is definitely more like a touring sedan than the sports sedan image it wants to portray. Like prballard, I'll need to test drive the 6-spd version to see if it matches the tossability and nimbleness of the TSX.

Just my $.02.....
Old 10-08-2003 | 09:40 PM
Banned

I'm sure many have checked this out already, but if you haven't, be sure to look at the TSX vs. Accord Coupe videos at the Temple of VTEC. I was amazed at how easily the TSX could catch up to the 6MT Coupe in the turns (after falling behind in the straightaways). My guess is, the automatic TL's handling is comparable to the Accord Coupe's.
Old 10-08-2003 | 09:47 PM
Photography Nerd

I think the TSX's suspension will be difficult to improve on. It's going to be tough for the tuners...
Old 10-08-2003 | 09:49 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by Iceman
I'm sure many have checked this out already, but if you haven't, be sure to look at the TSX vs. Accord Coupe videos at the Temple of VTEC. I was amazed at how easily the TSX could catch up to the 6MT Coupe in the turns (after falling behind in the straightaways). My guess is, the automatic TL's handling is comparable to the Accord Coupe's.
The TL handles better than the Accord Coupe, but the handeling is closer to the Accord Couple than the TSX. IMO Thanks again for mentioning that video. I need to put a direct link here. You have to be a VTEC.net member to watch it, I believe.

Here you go: http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=147731
Old 10-08-2003 | 09:50 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by Dan Martin
I think the TSX's suspension will be difficult to improve on. It's going to be tough for the tuners...
Right, it is hard to improve upon perfection.
Old 10-08-2003 | 09:54 PM
Intermediate

I think acuraman hit it right on the head in stating that this car is the best blend of luxury and sport in one vehicle. Let's not lose sight of the fact who Acura is trying to sell this car to - Males late 30's early 40's wanting a little bit of both luxury and sportiness. I think Acura hit it dead on while adding state of the art electronics to boot. This car will have more than enough power and handling for 99% of those who buy this car. If you want pure sportiness get a BMW 330 or G35. You want pure luxury get an ES330. Me ... I'll take the best of both worlds.
Old 10-08-2003 | 11:20 PM
Banned

, so the term I think you were looking for is "Cognitive dissidence" and it doesn't apply to me.
...did you say "cognitive dissidence"? WEDGIE!!!!
Old 10-09-2003 | 12:01 AM
Racer

wow, wish I have chance to test drive a TL already.
Old 10-09-2003 | 12:45 AM
Advanced

...now, after thoroughly checking out every photo from every angle, I have to say my vote still goes to the TSX for overall good looks. The TL has a much longer nose on it, which many may prefer, and more overhang fore and aft. To me the TSX is gorgeous, and posesses just the right combination of smooth curvature and angles that make it a design that will remain timeless and good looking for a long time, plus I have always liked four bangers...TSX for me, please.

Lorne Miller
Old 10-09-2003 | 03:03 AM
More On

Welcome back, PRB -- missed you! Nice to see you back. And real nice write-up.

Well, I might be messed up in the head then. I agree with the vast majority of what Larch says about the TL.....
You need help -- bad.

......It doesn't handle bad, but the TSX amazes me the way it handles. I still may buy the TL, but the 6MT must have a much different suspension than the 5AT......
Before seeing this thread, I just posted elsewhere that most people who have actually tried both the TSX and the TL are saying that they prefer the TSX's handling. Although there appears to be a lot of disagreement on which car has better handling, I've had the sense that most of the those who argue for the TL haven't actually driven both cars.

BTW I'm realizing that I haven't sufficiently taken into account the differences between the 6MT's and the 5AT's. Assuming that the 6MT TL has better handling than the 5AT, my impressions of the TL that I drove (AT) might not have anything to do with the MT. But anyway, I was comparing the TL and the TSX on a "level playing field" -- both are 5AT's, and I think most people who try both AT's will favor the handling of the TSX. It's possible, however, that the relative merits of the MT's might be the other way around.

...... "Cognitive dissidence".......
That's "cognitive DISSONANCE" -- but it doesn't matter, because I think "bias" actually was just what he meant anyway.
Old 10-09-2003 | 07:42 AM
Advanced

Personally, I'm actually glad to hear that the new TL doesn't handle as well as the TSX. I'm hoping that also translates into the TL not having as harsh a ride as the TSX. That was too much for me. The majority of my driving does not allow me to take advantage of the tighter suspension.

I have an '03 TL-S that offers enough performance for me. I'm more interested in the new looks, inside and out, and the added refinement of the new car. I'm planning on driving an '04 TL tomorrow, and will be very interested in the compromise between comfort and performance. Acura is not going to sell 60,000 cars if the car rides too harsh. Hopefully the manual trans. '04 will offer the added performance that the enthusiates are looking for.
Old 10-09-2003 | 08:16 AM
Advanced

PRBallard: Just a guess, but I think you visited Acura at Oxmoor. Am I right? I also am going to guess that you went to Ballard High School? Am I right? I went to Ballard a lonnnnnggggg time ago.
Old 10-09-2003 | 08:23 AM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by larchmont
Welcome back, PRB -- missed you! Nice to see you back. And real nice write-up.

That's "cognitive DISSONANCE" -- but it doesn't matter, because I think "bias" actually was just what he meant anyway.
Thanks Larch!!! This shows another example how engineers can't spell, or at least I can't.

BTW I think you may want to edit your post. You have 5MT and 6AT, instead of 5AT and 6MT. Good talking to you bud!!!
Old 10-09-2003 | 08:49 AM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by AcUrAgUy
PRBallard: Just a guess, but I think you visited Acura at Oxmoor. Am I right? I also am going to guess that you went to Ballard High School? Am I right? I went to Ballard a lonnnnnggggg time ago.
Yes and no. I was at Oxmoor Acura. My last name is Ballard. I am orginally from the Bardstown KY area.
Old 10-09-2003 | 08:52 AM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by fdefulvio
Personally, I'm actually glad to hear that the new TL doesn't handle as well as the TSX. I'm hoping that also translates into the TL not having as harsh a ride as the TSX. That was too much for me. The majority of my driving does not allow me to take advantage of the tighter suspension.

I have an '03 TL-S that offers enough performance for me. I'm more interested in the new looks, inside and out, and the added refinement of the new car. I'm planning on driving an '04 TL tomorrow, and will be very interested in the compromise between comfort and performance. Acura is not going to sell 60,000 cars if the car rides too harsh. Hopefully the manual trans. '04 will offer the added performance that the enthusiates are looking for.
The 5AT TL definately has a softer ride than the TSX. But, part of this could be because it has a larger track and wheelbase, not just the suspension. I don't think the TSX has a harsh ride, but firm is a fair label.
Old 10-09-2003 | 10:05 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

originally posted by prballard
...... "Cognitive dissidence".......
Now, now, let's not jump to convulsions here...
Old 10-09-2003 | 11:05 AM
Racer

The 5AT TL definately has a softer ride than the TSX. But, part of this could be because it has a larger track and wheelbase, not just the suspension. I don't think the TSX has a harsh ride, but firm is a fair label.
That's great to hear, because I'm looking for a softer drive than what the TSX offers. I've had the 96 Prelude and the Accord (4 cylinder) in the past, so it's about time for me to get a smooth V6 engine. Part of the "aging" process, you know?

I always believe that 4-cylinder cars should handle better because they have less weight and are also smaller in size (usually).

Can't wait to test-drive the TL in Toronto. Damn these Canadian dealers, they're so slow in everything.
Old 10-09-2003 | 11:53 AM
More On

Thanks Larch!!! This shows another example how engineers can't spell, or at least I can't.

BTW I think you may want to edit your post. You have 5MT and 6AT, instead of 5AT and 6MT. Good talking to you bud!!!
......and I can spell, but I can't count. Thanks, PRB, I did correct it.

About the ride: I didn't feel that the TL ride was significantly better or softer than the TSX ride, but we had a "split decision" over here because my wife felt it was.

Funny though -- she said maybe it was just that she liked the SEAT in the TL a whole lot better and that this affected her perception of the ride. And I, in turn, thought that maybe the fact that I so much prefer the TSX seat was part of why I thought its "handling" was better than the TL's.
Old 10-09-2003 | 03:52 PM
TSX Lover

Funny though -- she said maybe it was just that she liked the SEAT in the TL a whole lot better and that this affected her perception of the ride. And I, in turn, thought that maybe the fact that I so much prefer the TSX seat was part of why I thought its "handling" was better than the TL's.
No, it handled better.