XM Delphi Skyfi install in TL-S (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up XM Delphi Skyfi install in TL-S (long)

Let's hope this link works!: http://photos.yahoo.com/cwrigh01

OK, first thing’s first: The sound quality with the Blitzsafe adapter (HON-DELPHI model) is terrific. No, not quite CD quality but far better than any FM modulator or cassette adaptor. DO NOT install in your car without one of these adaptors!

I purchased the unit and car kit from Tweeter on Kirby in Houston. The salesman was reasonably knowledgeable but had no idea the Blitzsafe adaptor existed (why doesn’t XM advertise this??? Even their tech support people were clueless). He ordered the part and it finally came Monday, so in I went for my install ($125, plus $100 for the cable). As you see in the pics, I had the antenna painted to match the car. I highly recommend this as it makes it blend in much better. My local Honda/Acura body shop did this for me at no charge. I told the installer I wanted the antenna at the rear center of the roof (the traditional place). Well, he mounted it at the front center of the roof instead because the cord wasn’t long enough (Delphi sells an extension). I *want* to believe what he said, but haven’t read about this being a problem on ClubXM.com or XMfan.com, so am pessimistic. Regardless, with it painted I got over this small issue.

They mounted the unit on a Panavise bracket made especially for the TL. This is a sweet way to mount because it puts the unit within reach, but totally out of the way. Canyon River sells these units and was fast & courteous in shipping to me. The Skyfi unit itself is of good quality and the display is quite clear. I wished for a display that matched the TL’s coloring, but the orange is at least inoffensive. I listened to the test stations on the way home from Tweeter and the sound quality was *very* good (the exception being the FoxNews station, which sounded a bit cheap, but it was news after all). Again, not quite CD quality but to me it's like digital TV versus HD, I know there is a difference, but I'm hard-pressed to discern it most of the time. I had to adjust the output volume so that it would better match the volume of the CD and FM, but that was easy enough using the Skyfi’s intuitive menu.

Got home and immediately got online to activate the system (save $5 online, though after spending like $400 for the unit, parts, and installation, who cares?). That was easy enough, so I went and plugged it back into the cradle in the car, all giddy with the thought of listening to BPM on the short drive to the office the next morning. The gods were not smiling. The unit powered on, then back off and wouldn’t come back on. I tried all combinations of buttons and car ignition options, but something was definitely wrong. Took it to Tweeter the next day(today), and the installer diagnosed that the connector was bad (where it plugs into the power source), replaced it and I was on my way. Since I activated online already, I just have to wait for it to find my receiver and I should get all 100 stations (I only have like 8 preview stations now).

If anyone has more specific questions or want better quality pics than the ones I have posted, just let me know. I have no idea the details of the install, but can certainly answer about the quality of the product.

Chris
Old 01-15-2003, 03:45 PM
Cruisin'

NICE...a few questions...is that the best place to stick the unit? on the passenger side? what other ideas did the installer have?does it interfere with the passenger? also..why didnt you mount the antenna on the dashboard in the passenger corner??? and..lastly can you post the url for the mount for the unit?

thanks! enjoy the xm dude!!!
Old 01-15-2003, 04:42 PM
Intermediate

It was the best place to install for me, and the installed couldn't come up with anything better. If anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears, but the height of the unit limits its placement. I mounted the remote control on the visor, but the Skyfi is so easy to reach (and I'm not all that tall) I will probably reserve it for home use.

As for the antenna, for best reception it needs to be mounted on the roof or trunk (though roof is supposed to be preferred due to the plane of metal). I will say that I park on the 9th floor of a 13 floor downtown garage and the signal was full strength.

Here is the Panavise:

http://www.panavise.com/nf/comm/inda...artn=75119-300

And Canyon River, the retailer:
http://www.canyonriver.com/
Old 01-16-2003, 01:11 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the great writeup Chris. You're blazing a trail for the others to follow!

It should be possible to move the antenna, no? I think it would look better on the roof's rear center, as you had originally envisioned. I would order the extension from Delphi and have Tweeter move the antenna.

(Since I have the OnStar antenna on the rear roof area, I decided to put my Sony XM antenna on the trunk.)

The Delphi looks awesome! I'm considering replacing my Pioneer with it, but I do like the fact that the Pioneer remote is so small that it can be unobtrusively mounted below the radio. The flip side, however, is that a small display doesn't show what's playing on 5 different channels
Old 01-16-2003, 05:22 AM
/etc/car

XM80 (Move), XM81 (BPM), XM82 (System), XM9 (90s).

All you need. Move plays a lot of house, BPM plays excellent trance, and System plays a lot of obscure stuff like Moby, Orbital...all the stuff I want to hear that never gets radio airplay. Priestly and Girl 2.0 on 90s rock.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:45 PM
Cruisin'

Chris,
Great post with the information and photos. Since you've now had the Delphi for about a week, have passengers had any problems bumping their leg against the XM unit? Do you find yourself using the remote or do you just reach over to change the stations?
Mike
Old 01-22-2003, 08:42 AM
Intermediate

One of my friends keeps banging his knee, but he's the type to purposely do it just to hassle me, LOL, so I don't pay much attention. I have not used the remote at all, and as soon as I get the home kit, will move it inside permanently.

I still need to take the car back to Tweeter and have them relocate the antenna to the back of the car. I found out that the car kit comes with a 20' antenna wire, and so I can't imagine why they cannot mount it properly. The extension kit is like 50', so I definitely don't need that!
Old 01-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Cruisin'

Did you consider putting the unit where the cup holder is???? I dont really like where you put yours at just for that passenger confort deal...(I wouldnt want em to fux up the delphi)

Thanks
Old 01-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

The cup holder might be an option, but I didn't want to lose that feature. A smaller unit would work between the seat heater switches, but the Delphi is simply too tall. The only way my pasengers are affected is if they have the seat what I would consider to be too far forward and like to sit with their knees in the air and against the console Most are immediately intrigued with the unit and take obvious care not to bang against it.

There are trade-offs with each location. Many SUVs have more dash space and massive center bins, ergo more options. The TL certainly wasn't designed for such an addition, but to me it is working very nicely and manages to make the unit reachable without being in the way (much).
Old 01-22-2003, 06:52 PM
Cruisin'

what other locations do you suggest for placing the delphi???

Thanks
Old 01-22-2003, 11:06 PM
Cruisin'

I know your preference was to set it at a lower level, but were you able to determine if the Delphi unit would fit in the sunglass holder or in that area?
Mike
Old 01-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Intermediate

It would fit, but was awkward there at best. I can't imagine that being a permanent location.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Chris are you still able to use your cd changer? I have a 2003 TL-S and was wondering how you controlled the XM with one of the adaptors. Can you use your steering wheel controls to tune among preseta? Thanks
Old 04-17-2003, 07:24 AM
Instructor

You can use the CD changer, no problem. The CD button just cycles between the XM and the CD Changer, just like if you had a 'band' button that cycled between AM band and FM band.

You can use your steering wheel buttons to control the volume, but since the Delphi is technically a standalone product you cannot change the preset button unless you either the remote that comes with the Delphi or the buttons on the unit. This isn't a problem for me as the unit is within easy reach anyways.

Chris
Old 04-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Thank you Chris, you were a big help since blitzsafe isnt answering my email. I might go for the pioneer, has a smaller face and try to mount it in the sunglass holder.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:42 PM
Cruisin'

Where did your wires go?

Chris,
I have the exact same setup for my TL on the way in the mail. From the pictures you posted, I can't tell where the wires that plug into the Delphi car kit go. Did you have holes drilled in the dash to hide them away or do they fit along the trim? Also, where did you pull the power from. I'm sure when it all arrives it will make a little more sense, but I am just trying to get a headstart. I am waiting for 3 seperate shipments between the Delphi, the harness and the mount. Thanks.

Mike
Old 05-05-2003, 08:35 AM
Intermediate

Mike, I will make a note to check later today when I go out to the parking garage.

Chris
Old 05-06-2003, 08:57 AM
Instructor

The wires basically run in between the bowling ball trim and the radio face plate. The wires are completely hidden by the bracket and unit itself so it wasn't easy to tell.

I don't know how the unit is powered since I had it installed.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Cruisin'

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if the wires would fit between the trim and the faceplate without some sort of modification. Hopefully it gets delivered today so I can start working on it. Mainly, I guess I wanted to know if you were getting power from behind the dash or if you were using the lighter adaptor. I didn't really want to have to leave a wire connected to the lighter all the time. Thanks again for your help. By the way, how do you like the XM service now that you've had it a while?

Mike
Old 05-06-2003, 07:38 PM
Instructor

The unit is definitely wired into the car, and for some reason I think it may be tapped into the lighter from behind the dash.

As for the service, it is terrific--worth every dime. I have recently purchased the boombox so that I can listen outside and will get the home kit soon.

I have heard that some people mount their antennas on the dash or back shelf and still get decent reception (in urban areas). I don't mind mine being on the roof and would consider my reception excellent, with few to no dropouts.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:51 PM
Cruisin'

That is exactly where I was planning on tapping into the power. Unfortunately, I didn't get any of my orders today, hopefully tomorrow.

I think the boombox is a great feature. Definately what made me decide to get the Delphi unit. I have heard of people using a mini din to RCA adaptor out of the headphone jack and tying into their stereos without having to buy the home kit. Sounds more versatile that way. There are a couple good threads about replacing the stock speakers over at xmfan.com also.

I'm thinking of mounting the antenna on the trunk. Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Instructor

I actually just had the antenna moved to the trunk (see pics under my first link), and I am MUCH happier with the look.

Chris
Old 06-04-2003, 05:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chris_w,
Where do you work or where in the are you?
Old 06-04-2003, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

Chris,
I did end up mounting the antenna on the trunk. It looks good and was MUCH easier than trying to feed the wires through the window. My install came out looking almost exactly like yours on the inside. The main difference was that I ended up pulling the power from the plug inside the armrest. It is totally invisible and was much easier than ripping more of the dash apart to tap in somewhere.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Intermediate

Chris,

Great photos.

Finishing up my SkiFi install this weekend using a similar mounting bracket and the Blitzsafe adapter - I've heard its possible to plug in the Blitzsafe without pulling the radio <crosses fingers>, otherwise I'm taking it to an installer to pull the radio. (And yes I know its a not rough do it yourself manuever but I'm not comfortable in my ability to put it all back together - hehe). I'm mounting a female plug unit in the area behind the console and just plugging the power unit that came with the SkiFi into it, figure the radio and lighter work with accessory power so it would be best to tap it that way.

George
Old 06-05-2003, 09:16 AM
Instructor

George, this sounds like how my installer did it. In fact, I have to take the car back today because there is a hissing sound when I use the CD or XM, and so Delphi send me a "noise reduction" wire that should help (this is apparently a very common problem, because they send the wire for free). If you have this problem, check out a few threads on XMfan.com for more info.

FYI, I don't think the installer removed the stereo at all, just the trim pieces around it.

Chris
Old 06-09-2003, 12:16 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice setup, chris_wTX ! I like the antenna on the trunk too I'm envious of your antenna. I just got sirius and my antenna is your typical mouse sized ugliness .. I have it on my rear deck for now. Miami probably has a decent amount of land repeaters. I'll see what happens when I travel to decide to move the antenna.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Intermediate

I finished my install this weekend - I'll get photos up later this week when I get my digital camera back.

The SkiFi mounting bracket from Pro Fit works very well - mounts on the right side of the radio just by pulling the panel there. Hasn't interfered with my passengers seat either.

I placed the antenna in the back window next to the Bose woofer, ran the wire beside the Bose, down the back of the seat and then along the door guards to the front then under the top of the passenger side mat and looped the extra wiring and hid it behind the center panel.

Put a female lighter plug behind the center as well - now when the Blitzsafe arrives I'll plug it in and finish hiding everything so it'll look clean.

George