Would a Capacitor put less stress on the..

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a Capacitor put less stress on the..

Would a Capacitor help put less stress on the Alternator?
Im about to install pulleys, and i thought maybe i should install a cap to avoid any problems with the alternator, but would a cap even help for that?

I was just going to add a cap to the DEI 1100d amp
and not the PG 500w amp, what ya think?
Old 12-27-2001, 11:17 PM
10th Gear

Think of a Cap as a an electrical reserve, when your alternator doesnt pump out enough power (say at idle, if your gonna install pulleys the alternator is gonna be spinning somewhat slower) for the amps, it will quickly supplement more power into your system to satisfy the amps demand at that moment and then it will fill back up when the alternator is supplying enough, this will give you better sound quality.
I would do it
Old 12-28-2001, 01:31 AM
...and then there was One

I agree with the previous post.
Do you notice the bass having any problems? It's usually during bass beats when the amp can't keep up, I think. Like it will hit the first beat, but after that it's like the amp isn't supllying enough power to the sub. Or, your lights may dim because it is taking all the power for the amp.
The norm is a 1 farad cap per Kilowatt, if I remember right.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I always thought that you could get after market "pulleys" that were not smaller in diameter just lighter in weight/mass.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:17 PM
Banned

You guys seem to have this pretty much covered. All I'll say is this:

The only time you would use a capacitor is if the total draw is less than the total alternator output. Keep that in mind. Second, you would only use it if you have voltage dips. How would you know if you do? If you have a system with no or a small bass setup, you probably won't. You usually only do with large bass systems. Telltale signs of voltage dips are amplifier clipping and dimming lights. Also you can hook a multimeter across your battery's terminals to check it out. If you have a voltage dip, then you'll want capacitors...depending on the wattage of the system, you can determine what you need. I can do the math for you as to the capacitance you need if you tell me the wire gauges you're using, maxmimum draws (watts) of the system...output of the alternator (max), and maximum draw of the car electronics, ignition etc.

Austin519