Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will these speakers fit?

Would this fit the beloved TSX?

CDT Speaker Details

Classic Series Component Systems

CL-61 model: 6.5" mid, .1" silk swivel

Mounting Depths | Mounting Holes | Tweeter Protrusion

2 & 7/8" | na | 5 & 11/16"

thanks. (and sorry if I asked a question whose answer could've been found elsewhere, if that place exists.)

ok, I think I've got myself covered!

Old 09-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Registered AssHat

Those speakers are REALLY deep.

By comparison, people are having to use 1/4" or 1/2" spacers just to get the Polks to clear the window and those have a top mounting depth of about 2" even. You're talking something that's almost another 1" deeper.

I know for the Alpine 174 Type-Rs that someone had installed they did have to do a custom fit involving sheetmetal cutting. Those appear to have a top mounting depth of 2, 3/4".

My opinion is that while it may be able to be done, it'll be a real pain and involve some serious customization.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Hey thanks for the detailed response. Someone I trust recommended this brand of speaker for another car, so I wondered if they would fit the TSX also.

All their 6.5's have similar depths.. so, guess it's on to another option.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:19 AM
Racer

CDT makes AMAZING speakers, it's unfortuante that they wont fit.

I thought they had another line/series of speakers that weren't as deep though
Old 09-05-2003, 08:24 AM
Burning Brakes

get some Kenwood Dual MAG speakers they have Neoydimimum magnets just loke the OEM ones do and will fit in very tight applications'
Old 09-05-2003, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by vasu
CDT makes AMAZING speakers, it's unfortuante that they wont fit.

I thought they had another line/series of speakers that weren't as deep though
yea, I think they have a slimline series too.. it's just that most of their speakers tend to be deeper, or so I've noticed.

Glad you can confirm their quality too.. this guy really seems to know his stuff.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
get some Kenwood Dual MAG speakers they have Neoydimimum magnets just loke the OEM ones do and will fit in very tight applications'
sorry for my cluelessness, but.. are speakers with Neoydimimum magnates inherently shorter in depth? or are you recommending them for some other reason?

I guess I'm unclear as to why you are suggesting them with reference to the fact that the OEM ones have that feature.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:05 AM
who's right, who's wrong?

CDT does make a slim line, as does Focal. My question would be, could you use some MDF baffles to help with the depth? Using an MDF baffle also gets rid of some resonance too, so I use them with each car I put my things into now.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by combustible1
sorry for my cluelessness, but.. are speakers with Neoydimimum magnates inherently shorter in depth? or are you recommending them for some other reason?

I guess I'm unclear as to why you are suggesting them with reference to the fact that the OEM ones have that feature.
im glad you asked. let me give a little education on the subject seing as how i happen to be an ex subwoofer manufacturer

firstly in the caraudio market there has always been a sad misconception that a bigger magnet is always better. the fact is the magnet size has almost nothing to do with how powerfull it is. the strength of a magnet comes from the amount of lines of magnetic flux (density) not how large it is. also too much magnet power can actually have negetive affects on the sound because of the damping factor created by the magnetic field itself.

neodimium magnets are about 11 times more powerfull than ceramic magnets (commonly used on speakers) therefore they need far less crossectional area to exert the same force on a coil of the speaker. the TSX i can only assume uses these magnets to conserve on cost, weight, and space. because the end used that buys the TSX isnt going to care what they look like they dont have to worry about making them look pretty the way they have to do in a retail store with aftermarket speakers. unfortunatly since you cant educate the public as a whole, speaker manufacturers are in fact using ceramic only because the magnet has to be larger. and of course larger magnets on the speaker attracts more buyers. belive it or not the majority of audio buyers buy what looks good not what sounds good.
take a boston pro series component speaker, if you ask me their frequency responce of the 6.5 midbass driver has a crappy frequency range and they have big ass magnets so they are a hot selling product.

my point is about the dual mags is that because of the small magnet size they fit in OEM application very easy and the sound awsome. this is in part due to the larger magnetic crossectional area of the motor and coil assembly. the dual mags are the only speaker i have come across in a while that will play as low as 50 hz clean and not get distorted with power, they are reasonably priced and easy to install.

so yes they are a thinner mounting depth which was my first reaction to the problem at hand, and secondly because they are a great sounding speaker with a wider range especially in the midbass section than most i have installed.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Thanks, Bass Mechanic. Good info.. and I'll check out those Kenwoods.

I guess it makes sense that people buy speakers more on looks than sound. Obviously, that seems stupid, but sometimes it's easier for the average listener to make a judgement on looks rather than on sound.

People are used to making quick judgements by the way they look, whereas, we don't often come across situations where we using our sense of hearing to make decisions.

Old 07-10-2004, 02:26 PM
Instructor

wow thx bass mechanic, that really helps me out as well
Old 07-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Advanced

listen before you buy, because neodimium or ceramic is only 1/10th of the equation. the CDT's may (and probably do) have an advantage in cone/surround material, voice coil diameter, basket rigidity, etc...

i have a pair of CDT HD62s. they fit in my TSX, and they're probably atleast as deep as the CL61s. i needed an MDF spacer, but really thats a good idea in any install, whether or not you need to bump the speaker out. (MDF is a good dense baffle) some metal cutting was needed because the basket wouldn't fit, but the magnet slipped through the stock opening without a problem. also, on the back of the door panel (the portion which faces in on the speaker) has plastic that can be cut away, allowing a replacement speaker to come even further forward without intereference.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:30 AM
Instructor

what will fit in a TSX

I was looking through different sites, and came upon the polk one:
http://www.polkaudio.com/car/toolbox...php?carid=3834

the above link shows which speakers fit the tsx with/wo spacers. although they are polk speakers, i would assume that similar specs on another speaker would fit the guide
Old 07-16-2004, 05:28 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
One of the reasons that neodymium is a good speaker material is that it is smaller and lighter than ferrite, lowering shipping costs, which are a major portion of both sales costs and warranty costs.

Oen of the reasons that it has been limited in use is that the manufacturing machinery that can effectively give neodymium alloys a permanent magnetic bias has been very rare and expensive. So the number of neo magnets availalbe has been limited, which has caused higher prices. This seems to no longer be the case.

As far as speaker firms only using big magnets because they are larger... no, it's because of the cost of machinery that could magnetize a neo woofer magnet. The cost doesn't pencil out... do the ROI calculations.

It's absolutely true that magnet power does not correlate to speaker performance. And it's true that speaker companies glue magnet covers on frequently to make the speaker look beefier and brawnier.

But as far as speaker companies using ferrite instead of neo for looks only... if they could go to neo for a similar price, they would, because the impact on shipping costs in their chain (to the stores, and then the re-ship on returns, which are high on speakers for cars) are very significant.