WHERE IS THE STEREO ANTENNA WIRE AND PLUG LOCATED???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 04:34 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
WHERE IS THE STEREO ANTENNA WIRE AND PLUG LOCATED???

Hello:
I am installing an MP3 Changer to my car tomorrow and I am hooking it thru an FM modulator that comes with the kit. However, I need to know where the wire and plug is for the stock antenna. I know the antenna is in the rear glass but where is the cable and it is a typical cable that most manufacturers use or do I need a special converter of some kind (like te ones BMW uses, for example)??

Also, what is the best way to reach the antenna plug behind the radio....should I pull out the head unit or go from behind the center console?? ANYONE KNOW THIS?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED TO MINIMIZE MY SEARCH TIME!!

I will post pics when I am finished.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The antenna is on the back of the radio on the drivers side.
You can get to it by: removing the wood trim next to the shift gate(it pops off). Then you will have to remove the molding under the steering column(the peice that your interior light level knob is on. You can remove this piece by opening the the fuse door and unscrewing one gold screw that is at the bottom closest to the engine. Then just pull the peice off. You can then access the 4 screws that hold the molding thats next to your feet. You will then be able to make out the side of the radio. Feel behind the radio(it is a tight fit) and you will be able to locate the antenna. You DO NOT have to take the radio out! I made this mistake and it took a long time. I have yet to get good sound from the FM modulator(a lot of feedback-engine noise). If yours works, hit me back and tell me where you got your power from. Thanks,

BTW, there is another guy on here that found out how to put a switch between the headunit and the stock amp that will allow you to send an auxilary source to your speakers. Therefor cutting out the need for an FM modulator. Hey if that guy is around... Hit me UP!
Old 07-19-2001, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Man...Welcome to the Board and THANKS ALOT!! That's what this place is all about!

Anyone else have an opinion?