where is our amp

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001 | 02:28 PM
Instructor

where is our amp

I have a 2000 TL and just wondering where our stock amp is. Is it like those built in ones in the headunit? Or is it hidden somewhere in the trunk. I'm trying to install my infinity basslink. thanks. If anyone has installed those things.... some tips would be helpful too. Although it shouldnt be THAT hard.
Old 08-14-2001 | 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Lightbulb

According to the Service Manual (22-149), it's behind the rear seat. However the (only one) diagram doesn't really tell you where exactly the amp is behind the seat.
Old 08-17-2001 | 07:04 PM
Advanced

For the 00' to 02' cars, our headunit has the 4 channel amp that powers the door speakers. The sub has it's own amp behind the rear seat. This amp gets its signal from the Bose EQ unit behind the nav screen (it's there even if you don't have a Nav unit).

You could either intercept the line level signal before it hits the sub amp (that's already been crossed-out), or feed your sub from the SUM-OUT coming from the back of the headunit (i have all the wiring diagrams from my Acura dealer).
Old 08-18-2001 | 12:09 AM
Racer

Originally posted by allanc45
For the 00' to 02' cars, our headunit has the 4 channel amp that powers the door speakers. The sub has it's own amp behind the rear seat. This amp gets its signal from the Bose EQ unit behind the nav screen (it's there even if you don't have a Nav unit).

You could either intercept the line level signal before it hits the sub amp (that's already been crossed-out), or feed your sub from the SUM-OUT coming from the back of the headunit (i have all the wiring diagrams from my Acura dealer).
Do your diagrams tell you what the sub is LP at? Is the SUM-OUT the label for the sub preamp output between the HU and the Bose EQ? Also, is it true the fronts are HP while the rears have a full signal. If yes, what are the fronts HP at?
thanks
Old 08-18-2001 | 04:56 AM
Advanced

>Do your diagrams tell you what the sub is LP at?

No, but by listening to it, i can tell you this - It is a VERY gradual rolloff (probably 6db/octave), in fact, while sending a tone generator through the sub, I noticed that it will generate sound past 1k . Unbelievable, but hey, it's Bose.

>Is the SUM-OUT the label for the sub preamp output between the HU and the Bose EQ?

You got it. If you follow along:

The HU has a R-out, L-out, Sum-out, and Common-out that go to the EQ. Coming back from the EQ is R-in, L-in, and Common-in which gets split to front/rear stereo amps in the HU, then run out to the speakers. The Sum-out never comes back from the EQ - it goes from there to the sub amp behind the rear seat to be powered before hitting the 9" sub in the rear deck.

>Also, is it true the fronts are HP while the rears have a full signal. If yes, what are the fronts HP at?

Funny you should ask. I'm still working on my big project and was gonna post about this when I'm done. The answer is...."sorta". The signal coming back to the HU from the EQ intended for the door speakers (same for front/rear) has a High-pass rolloff starting at about 90hz, but it gets worse - you should SEE the EQ curve Bose had to send to their 6" stock paper speakers to make them sound "good" .

Obviously, this makes using any good quality aftermarket speakers problematic at best (When I first got my Infinity Kappas, the treble was so harsh I could barely stand to listen to them - this was before I firgured out how to bypass the EQ)

After capturing this response curve, I got so pissed that I (thankfully) got my Acura dealership to show me the electrical service manual. I figured out how to bypass the Bose EQ unit, at least for the door speakers. We did a before/after capture on my friend's Audio Toolbox, and imported it into MS Excel and made a chart. The chart should be attached to this message. I'm sure you can figure out which line is before and after. Note the bass rolloff, the terrible dip in the midrange, and the "treble to the moon" starting at about 5k. This is how Bose compensated for not giving us tweeters. SIGH

Anyways, to make a long story short - I'm on my 3rd aftermarket amp, I still intend on keeping the stock HU and sub, and the Infinity Kappas are going bye bye, they're getting replaced with something better. My only problem at the moment seems to be some minor ground noise I've picked up, POSSIBLY as a result of bypassing the Bose EQ. I'll tell ya'll about it when I figure it out.

AllanC