Whats the state of the union with remote start alarms?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats the state of the union with remote start alarms?

Its been a while since I've thought about this, so I'm hoping to open it up for some discussion. What is the best bang-for-buck remote start alarm? Here are the keys to success for me:

- Its for my wife's truck, not me, so simplicity and reliability are key. Tons of features are not necessary.
- Should handle alarm and remote start duties, replacing the OEM keyfob while maintaining lock / unlock functionality. Does not need 'super' alarm features like motion sensing or glass breaking, just the basics.
- 2 way is a must, I want the remote to read out to her the status of the vehicle.
- Preferably it comes with 2 remotes so I can have one as well.

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
hey buddy... do you care for name brand or have any particular budget... if you would rather go cheaper, i have had really good experiences with Crimestopper... they have a pretty kewl 2-way system called the infinity... you can see it on their website... has everything you want and a second remote...

http://www.crimestopper.com/

i have had a crimestopper RS alarm system on my 1G TL for over 8 years now with not a single issue... the cheaper alarms i have had in the past would usually crap out or begin to malfunction after a couple years... i was thinking about upgrading to a 2-way system but i don't think it is worth my time and money for a 10 yr old car...

if you want something more with name brand, DEI manufactures all Viper, Python, Clifford and Hornet... they are all basically the same but the Hornet i just installed on the Corolla in my sig came standard with a backup remote and was cheapest out of all the brands... that is basically why i picked it over viper or clifford...

when i compared the prices for all the 2 way systems... the hornet i got for $150, viper (quarter mile range was priced at $175, mile range >$200) and clifford was also over 200... crimestopper are usually around $100 but the store i know doesn't carry it anymore and i wasn't going to wait for ebay...

best of luck bro...
Old 12-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Kam.

It looks like the 'new hotness' from DEI is the Viper 5501 / Clifford Matrix 20.7X (same unit with different fobs)

Prices I've gotten are $539 retail, $300 internet.
Now hopefully I can find a shop that will install it for me. Not sure I want to tackle it myself.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
check ebay... alot of distributors usually sell on there too...

let us know how it goes...
Old 12-06-2008, 04:15 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reach
Its been a while since I've thought about this, so I'm hoping to open it up for some discussion. What is the best bang-for-buck remote start alarm?
I just had a Viper 5101 on the 2005 Acura TSX I bought my father-in-law. I must say that I'm underwhelmed so far.

It's not a two way, only has the buttons (no LED). It does door lock/unlock, remote start, and is programmed to open the trunk through an auxiliary button. I chose it because Viper seemed to have the best reputation among the remote start companies and because the installer recommended it. Although, in retrospect, I think he really had never worked with this model before, given the difficulties I've had with it.

When it's working, it works okay. You have to press the button pretty hard and at least two seconds to get something done, which is a good thing I guess, to prevent accidental unlocking. However, I need to press the auxiliary button seven seconds to open the trunk, which is far too long.

However, this has nowhere near the "quarter mile range" it claims. At best, it works within a two block radius, which is okay but certainly nowhere near claimed.

Also, the quality is dismal. A week after I had mine installed, I came back to my commuter parking lot to find out that not that the door and trunk would not open or unlock, but that now the "buttons" on the door would no longer unlock the door. Also, the interior lights on the car started going on by themselves intermittently. Took it back to the dealer and he had to replace the entire unit, which was defective.

After it was fixed, a week later my primary remote failed totally--wouldn't do ANYTHING. Again, took it to the dealer and he spent nearly an hour fiddling and diddling until he got it working (it took him 10 minutes just to get the cover off to check the battery!)

I really hope that I can go more than two weeks without something breaking with this, and I'm dreading the time I need to change the battery.

Suzie in MA