Video on My Navi Modification

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 11:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Video on My Navi Modification

I am thinking about adding the Pioneer GEX-P7000 unit to be able to play video and TV on the Navi display unit. But this requires cutting the RGB wires going from the Navi computer to the display unit.

Do you guys think it is a good idea to by the wire harness that carries the RGB signal so that the existing ones (all bundled to gether won't have to be cut)? Snook (Tim), Can you order the part?

A better solution is that if I can find pin (male & female) connectors that fit the factory wiring harness and Navi computer to bypass the RGB signal. Steve or Ron, any suggestions?

My biggest concern about the Navi modification is that if something goes wrong with the Navi computer or display unit (unrelated to the modification), it might not be covered under warranty if any wire is cut.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-12-2001, 10:48 AM
Instructor

The wire harness from your Acura dealer will be difficult and expensive to install. It's routed through your car and will cost a small fortune.

If you can find a source for the M&F plugs, please let me know. I've searched with no luck for these 'Amp like' plugs. It would have been great to provide a kit that was simply "plug and play".

As for cutting the 4 red, white, yellow and green wires. Remove the insulation up from the connector (keeping it, if possible) and cut the wires there. If you ever need to resort back to factory setup, use small butt splices to rejoin them and black tape up the insulation. Probably never noticed.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by SteveStMS on June 12, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-12-2001, 11:25 PM
Advanced

What I was able to do with SteveSMS's help was install the GEX-TV system into my CL-S. Everything worked great except that I wasn't able to get the on screen display to work through my Navigation screen. I also installed a Pioneer AVD-505 5.6" monitor on the rear of my center console. The nice thing about the AVD-505 is that it is on it's own base and is removable. I used a RGB-1 box to send signal to the AVD-505 monitor.
I spliced into the Navigation screen on the driver's side door sill. Under the door sill is a black wire loom with a yellow stripe that has shielding and inside the loom are the four RGB-Sync wires. There is also a black wire loom with a orange stripe, but I think that goes from the headunit to the amplifier. I spliced into the wire loom behind the driver's side seat and taped up the loom, the only way you would be able to find it would be if you traced the whole loom back and removed the door sill.
I also have an extra AVD-505 monitor I am trying to get rid of since I had originally planned on installing each in a headrest, but went with the center console location since I like the idea of being able to remove the monitor whenever I wanted to. Also by mounting it there I saved the cost of mounting each headrest and still let the rear passangers enjoy the system to the fullest.

I also wanted to thank SteveSMS and Street Effectz for all the work they have done towards making the Navigation system work so well.
Old 06-13-2001, 06:23 AM
Cruisin'

Did use the RGB1 box to set up AVD-505 as your rear monitor? I am wondering if the RGB1 box is necessary if you want both monitors to show the same video. Can't you just connect them in parallel?

How much are you selling your AVD-505 monitor for?
Old 06-13-2001, 12:56 PM
Advanced

I tried to wire the AVD-505 in parallel but couldn't get it to work. The Navigation screen would not sync up after the 505 was wired in. The screen would just roll. Maybe with a IC like a LM1881N the sync could be seperated from the signal after the 505 is installed.

I purchased the screen for $430 from Smile Photo about 2 months ago. I would like $375 plus shipping for it, I accept PayPal. The monitor is in great shape and was never installed. The wiring harness and the mounting bracket were never used. If interested please e-mail me at henrycc@netzero.net
Old 06-14-2001, 07:15 PM
Advanced

I had a problem with my GEX-TV box, nothing to do with the install clumsy rear passangers, and instead wired both the AVD-505 and the navigation screen together through the RGB-1 box. It was a very easy install following SteveSMS' instructions. I found that you can still use the Pioneer plug in and parallel off of the RGB-1's signal without losing sync. Although I have lost the ability to watch TV it never did receive very good reception and I wired in a hard switch until I can figure out which way to wire a relay. If anyone has any questions feel free to e-mail me.