video ipod in nav screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006 | 05:39 PM
honk not beep

video ipod in nav screen

Ah.. it's been quite a long time since i've posted here.. nice to be back.

Well I have sort of an interesting set-up I would like, but it seems like a pretty difficult problem.

First off, I have an 04 tsx with an avelectronics system in the back (which is a 4 way video switcher.. overpriced if you asked me) and a ps2 in my glove.

What I want to do is hook up my video ipod to the nav screen while playing music. I already can hook up my video ipod to the avelectronics device if i want to play the video.. but I need a docking station.

So if I haven't confused most already, I am going to get this..

http://www.densionusa.com/dice_cradle_info.htm

Run a video cable from the docking station to the avelectronics device.

Plug the docking station into the aux of my tsx.

So in essence here, I can play videos on my ipod and watch it on the nav since I have the system set-up already.

Ok.. enough of the background info.. here's the problem.

As some of you know on the video ipod, you can only display video from videos or slideshows. Cuz what I think would be cool is to display the music screen while playing an mp3 onto the nav screen.

Looks like the only solution to this is a company creating a hardware solution like..

http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/...medock_deluxe/

but the problem is it would be difficult for it to run for the car..

any ideas anyone?
Old 05-11-2006 | 08:15 PM
Instructor

Here's another adapter that you might find interesting. It's smaller so it would probably be more suited for your car. It's also less expensive.

TuneCenter
Home Media Center for iPod

As far as running it in your car, you could probably just use a power inverter.
Old 05-12-2006 | 12:07 AM
honk not beep

sounds good, but the problem with that solution is you can't change the tracks with your steering wheel up and down which the dension option offers..
Old 05-12-2006 | 12:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by palidanx
sounds good, but the problem with that solution is you can't change the tracks with your steering wheel up and down which the dension option offers..
There are several adapters that allow you to control the ipod from the steering wheel. The best one, in my opinion, is the UsaSpec PA11-HON2 because it also has an extra set of aux inputs. The Dension just adds the convenience of integrating the cradle (which you can get anywhere). This wasn't the problem you were addressing though. My understanding from your post was that you want to be able to see the ipod menu and song information on your screen.

To do what you want to do, the only real solution viable at this time is to get the TuneCenter from Giffin and use this to control it through the steering wheel. It's a learning remote, so all you have to do is teach it the commands from the Giffin remote. The combination of both these devices will enable you to view the song information and menu on your nav screen and control it through the steering wheel. Not the best looking solution, but you'll get almost exactly what you want to do.

Last edited by Masterpoolcat; 05-12-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2006 | 01:49 PM
Instructor

Here's another thread with someone using the iLink from Valor:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/favorite-driving-song-119355/#post1454966

This solution seems more compact. It can also display a menu on your nav. Unfotunately it also has remote.
Old 05-12-2006 | 04:18 PM
Racer

I think the setup you have is fine. No big deal.

My question is, is the video quality clear on the nav screen when you are watching videos or movies using the ipod? Can you take some pictures please? Thanks
Old 05-12-2006 | 06:05 PM
honk not beep

yo guys,

thanks so much for the info in the other thread! Looks pretty interesting, i'll examine it in more detail.

Meanwhile.. here are some pictures.

my nav switcher (av electronics)

ipod temporariliy connected to the unit

live screen

live screen

avi file
http://www.shinzu.com/tsx/ipod/MVI_2369.AVI