upgrading tsx rear 6x9s

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 11:51 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
upgrading tsx rear 6x9s

Hey i'm new to the audio territory, is there any key things i should know about our speakers?

Like what kind to purchase
watts?
I saw speakers say 120 watts ect

any tools?

I'm jsut looking to improve the back speakers no amp and such.

Any ideas where, what brand, and how much about?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:07 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hae you read the info on the TSX system in the Master DIY/Reference thread?

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/general-faqs-about-tsx-audio-system-289830/
Old 07-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a thead where some good discussion on replacement 6x9 for the TSX took place: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22606
Old 07-27-2005, 07:14 AM
CL9 ABP

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com:7777/pls/...in=10&p_more=y

So could I get any set of 6x9 like this?

I just want to upgrade the 6x9 so are their any specific ones off the bat that I should look into?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:14 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one thing you need to look for when buying 6x9's is the way the speaker grill will fit on to them. Every speaker you get will handle the OEM amp. But you need to make sure that the rim around the face of the speaker is very thin or the TSX speaker grills won't fit properly. Then you would have to cut the grills, and if you ever wanted to replace them they are like $30 each.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CJams
The one thing you need to look for when buying 6x9's is the way the speaker grill will fit on to them. Every speaker you get will handle the OEM amp. But you need to make sure that the rim around the face of the speaker is very thin or the TSX speaker grills won't fit properly. Then you would have to cut the grills, and if you ever wanted to replace them they are like $30 each.
Cutting the grill (actually the tabs on the underside of the grill) is not that hard. And it doesn't show when installed. I needed to cut the grill to accomodate elduderino's Avincar 6x9s.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
Cutting the grill (actually the tabs on the underside of the grill) is not that hard. And it doesn't show when installed. I needed to cut the grill to accomodate elduderino's Avincar 6x9s.
Did you have to cut all of them? If so, are the grills secured now by anything other than gravity?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by drewba
Did you have to cut all of them? If so, are the grills secured now by anything other than gravity?
Its a tab that fits all the way around the edge of the top of the OEM 6x9. I trimmed about a 1/4-inch almost all the way around (except the part facing the back window) That back part would have been hardest to cut. The grills snap in at 4 points, if I recall correctly, roughly the 4 "corners" of the grill. Trimming the tabs does not affect the grill's ability to snap into place. You can see the four holes where the grill snaps in in this picture

Last edited by jlukja; 07-27-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Its a tab that fits all the way around the edge of the top of the OEM 6x9. I trimmed about a 1/4-inch almost all the way around (except the part facing the back window) That back part would have been hardest to cut. The grills snap in at 4 points, if I recall correctly, roughly the 4 "corners" of the grill. Trimming the tabs does not affect the grill's ability to snap into place. You can see the four holes where the grill snaps in in this picture
Thanks. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Guinea Pig

It doesn't look like you needed to cut anything for those speakers. Are those the stockies or eldudes?
Old 07-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

It doesn't look like you needed to cut anything for those speakers. Are those the stockies or eldudes?
that is the stock speaker. Here are the pics so you can compare
Stock Speaker
Elduderino's Avincar Speaker

Note the lip around the perimiter of the Avincar 6x9 is a lot taller than the stock. That is the part that interferes with the tab on the underside of the grill. I wish I'd taken a picture of the tab. Eluderino's instructions have a pic. It has foam tape on it. You have to carefully peel back the tape, trim the tab, then put the tape back. I used tin snips and a utility knife where the tin snips didn't fit. The modification can't be seen when the grill is in place and won't affect anything if you want to put the OEM 6x9 back.

Last edited by jlukja; 07-27-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:04 PM
CL9 ABP

So could you guys list a few choices to look into?

So far I heard avincar

Is it all jsut finding the right speakers then reconnecting all the wires?

I tried going to this audio store, they gave me no help and said it be a crap load of work to put in a system.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Guinea Pig

There are many speakers out there that you can buy that you don't need to cut the OEM speaker grills to fit them. I am a little surprised eldude chose those since his avincar speaker upgrade makes the door speakers so easy to exchange.

icrazynl, if you're just replacing the 6x9's look for some that have a lip that resemble the OEM speakers, that way you don't need to cut anything at all. Just 4 screws per speaker and you're set! It's about a 15 minute swap out then.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Littering and.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used Alpine Type S and Type R speakers so far and both have had problems. I'm waiting for Eldude's speakers to arrive in hopes that his are better quality.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Guinea Pig

http://www.cartoys.com/Default.cfm/p..._Way_Speakers/

These sounded real good with the OEM amp. The pic shows a lip around the edge, but that lip comes off so you don't need to cut anything.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
So could you guys list a few choices to look into?

So far I heard avincar

Is it all jsut finding the right speakers then reconnecting all the wires?
Some speakers may be able to play lower bass than others. So if you want this as a "subwoofer", you'll want to look for something that will go fairly low. Now, you're not going to find something that'll be like a real sub, but if you get close enough, it might be good enough.

It may be helpful to get adapters to get the leads for the new speaker, because the factory speaker probably uses a harness. Or, you can cut and/or splice in connections. Most car audio shops seem to prefer the cut and hack method, but even though harness adaptors seem a bit expensive for what they do, it just makes things go easier and less prone to wiggling apart, etc.

I tried going to this audio store, they gave me no help and said it be a crap load of work to put in a system.
That's an odd thing for an audio store to say. They should say it's real easy and get you to buy something RIGHT NOW! Seriously, what work were they talking about?

It sounds like as long as the speakers aren't too deep (where they might hit the bars for the trunk), trimming the stock grille is the biggest problem. One nice thing about getting the Avincar speakers is as least you know what you're getting into.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Team Owner

The OEM 6x9, as far as I know, has standard mounting hole so you should be able to mount almost any 6x9 that has standard mouting holes. As vidgamer said, be careful with ones that are deep as they may interfere with the trunk springs. The TSX comes with standard Honda speaker harness, I believe you can pick some up at Crutchfield. In fact, I think if you order your speakers through Crutchfield they will throw in the harness for free.

Besides the Avincar I've read people using: Alpine Type S, Polk, Infinity, MB Quart. Undrestand that if you choose a 2 way speaker the tweeter portion will not really do anything. I would also try to get a speaker that is rated a power output close to the output of the amp (i.e. you don't need a 100Wrms, 350Wmax). Something in the 50W range is probably good.

FWIW, before I decided on the Avincar I was strongly considering the Alpine 690s. They are rated down to 35Hz.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Team Owner

^^Sorry, the Alpine model I was referring to is the SPS-690A
Old 07-27-2005, 01:38 PM
CL9 ABP

Thanks i'm not too picky i'm just learning and giving it a shot.

So if i order alpine sps-690a
I should have no problems from other's personal experience?
Old 07-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Guinea Pig

I went to Best Buy when I first got my car and they told me if I change out the 6x9's I would have to replace the entire system including the HU. I almost told the manager to fire him or move him from the car audio section.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Guinea Pig

^^Sorry, the Alpine model I was referring to is the SPS-690A
This is a 3way speaker. If you are planning on using it for the low frequencies you won't need the tweeter portion of the speaker. But it looks like it would fit without a problem! I might have chosen these if Car Toys had them in stock. All the other Alpines I looked at didn't have removable grills and wouldn't fit right.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:16 PM
CL9 ABP

I went to Best Buy when I first got my car and they told me if I change out the 6x9's I would have to replace the entire system including the HU. I almost told the manager to fire him or move him from the car audio section.
Exactly what happened when i asked, he asked me what car and estimated 800 bucks...

for crappy box sub, decent amp and parts needed to be ordered...
I was like screw that.

Well I just have not a clue to look for so basically throw any suggestions would be nice.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Team Owner

Well I just have not a clue to look for so basically throw any suggestions would be nice.
OK, lets start you off with:
General FAQ about the TSX Audio System

Then, a little background on:
Car Audio Basics

If you noticed, the above threads are by elduderino, our local sound "guru". Elduderino, using his extensive car audio knowledge, put together a speaker package he felt would, at a reasonable price, take good advantage of the stock HU in the TSX. His speakers are:
Avincar Speakers - TSX upgrade kit
I installed this kit, my review (note that in the first post I only discuss the 6x9s)

The Alpine SPS we have been discussing have many fans. Here is a thread on
Alpine Speaker Upgrade

These threads should give you a good start.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Best Buy? They almost convinced my friend to get DUAL brand Subs. He was impressed by the flashy lights. I talked him out if it and he is currently very happy with his JL subs (but he misses the flashy lights).
Anyways, I'm sure there are some reputable Car audio shops in your area that can give you better advice than Best buy. If you do more than 6x9's, make sure you have a good Installer (not just a well known store), who's had a few years experience. As far as I can tell, the TSX is a PITA to work on.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:11 AM
CL9 ABP

Crutchfield Say different speakers are for the 2005 tsx???
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QTgpgYx...=sps690#VehBox
Old 07-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Team Owner

Crutchfield Say different speakers are for the 2005 tsx???
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QTgpgYx...=sps690#VehBox
They should fit fine. Not sure why Crutchfield says that they don't. Maybe because of the Honda wire harness connector?

BTW, I can't vouch for them because I've never bought anything there but, Discount Jungle has some pretty awsome prices. http://www.discountjungle.net/speakers2.html
Old 07-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Racer

just to throw in two cents ..

If you're upgrading the 6x9's and using them just for bass rather than full range sound, might I suggest one of the 3 following speakers:

1) The woofer from the MB Quart RCE-269
you can get them for $190 off ebay .. you could even then resell the tweeter and crossovers to lower the cost more
http://mbquart.com/2003/en_US/produc...&model=RCE+269

2) Genesis P69
$400 yikes! .. hard to find, I think eldude has a few floating around ... these are designed to be 6x9 subwoofers
http://www.theautophile.com/products/P69.html

3) The woofer from the Digital Design DDC6x9
like the MB, you can just use the woofer and discard the crossover and tweeter. these are an interesting find, as they have a pretty massive magnet and voice coil (i think the same size as the Genesis) and the best part is you can get them for $150. I haven't personally heard them, but I talked to a few people that have and they love them
http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/w...sp?series=C6x9

I think i'm gunna get those DD speakers in a couple weeks, just as soon as I go to the bank and get a money order to send them since they don't take amex

-vasu
Old 07-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

I like the MASSIVE magnet on those DD speakers! In the specs, it says that the "free air resonance" is 50Hz. How well is it going to play frequencies below that? Does it depend on things like how it uses the trunk? (I mean, is it really free air mounting?)

I bet there are fitment problems. Oh well!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Racer

I'm a little sketchy on free air resonance (Fs), i did a little digging and got this explanation:

This parameter is the free-air resonant frequency of a speaker. Simply stated, it is the point at which the weight of the moving parts of the speaker becomes balanced with the force of the speaker suspension when in motion. If you've ever seen a piece of string start humming uncontrollably in the wind, you have seen the effect of reaching a resonant frequency. It is important to know this information so that you can prevent your enclosure from 'ringing'. With a loudspeaker, the mass of the moving parts, and the stiffness of the suspension (surround and spider) are the key elements that affect the resonant frequency. As a general rule of thumb, a lower Fs indicates a woofer that would be better for low-frequency reproduction than a woofer with a higher Fs. This is not always the case though, because other parameters affect the ultimate performance as well.
so what I take that to mean is that at 50hz, in a free air situation, it will be it's most efficient/loudest. the center frequency of it's response would probably be largest at 50hz.. it'll play lower, and higher of course, but at 50hz it'll be louder than all the others since it's resonating at that frequency.

I could be totally wrong, but I think that's what it means. I remember called DD to ask about the freq response of it, and while I can't remember what he told me exactly, it did go lower than 50, I think even lower than 40 .. though to what extent I dunno.

Also, why would there be fitment problems? At 3.75" deep should it fit .. just barely?
Old 07-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vasu

3) The woofer from the Digital Design DDC6x9
like the MB, you can just use the woofer and discard the crossover and tweeter. these are an interesting find, as they have a pretty massive magnet and voice coil (i think the same size as the Genesis) and the best part is you can get them for $150. I haven't personally heard them, but I talked to a few people that have and they love them
http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/w...sp?series=C6x9

I think i'm gunna get those DD speakers in a couple weeks, just as soon as I go to the bank and get a money order to send them since they don't take amex

-vasu
Good God, those magnets look GINORMOUS!!

Specs say 50oz. 92db sensitivitiy is nice but I bet it takes a lot of power to move those magnets. Not sure the stock amp is the best way to drive those.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:26 PM
CL9 ABP

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TJcs0NR...0&I=500SPR69LP

I just did the install today, it was easy except the far corners you need to use a monkey wrench.

There is a plus in bass jsut good enough it actually rattles the back and its crisp.

So now i'm really just loving the sound thanks all.