Upgrading Leased Car Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 09:17 PM

Upgrading Leased Car Stereo?

I'm thinking about leasing a 2002 TL with Navigation and I liked the car on the test drive except for the stereo. I cannot believe the stereo is that poor in a $30K car!
I was not satisfied with either the bass or the treble and I turned them both to the max. It just sounded muddy. I was playing FM radio because I didn't have a CD to demo, but I can't imagine the CD sound would have been that much better.

What are the best and cost-effective upgrades, for a car that will probably be returned in 3 years, to give the stereo some kick with crisp and clear highs and enough bass to feel?

I'm thinking about waiting for the 2002 Camry XLE V6 with navigation and JBL sound if it isn't going to be worth the effort and expense to get the Bose to were it should have been from the factory.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:14 AM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just get the system removed around the time of your lease end. I think it will be worth it in the meantime. Plus, you can always re-use.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:28 AM

I understand that. I was looking for specific recommendations of what has worked well in the past that would sound the best for the least cost and would also be undoable when the time came to return the car.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:53 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

well, almost everything install-able is also un-installable... it just depends how much time it will take to uninstall, and what may/may not be left behind as a result of its 3-4 year residency.

best advice.. create a budget for yourself. Know how much you are willing to spend. What kind of sound are you aiming for? Quailty mids, and highs? Top of the line full-range sound? pounding bass? what?? Subs? front/rear-mids replacements? custom boxes? single, dual, or more amp system?

what kind of head unit? single disc? multi? mp3 capable?

you can get generic brands, or premium ones. There are so many options and setups, that your best bet is to haul to an AV place and try some out. See what sounds good to your own disciminating ears, and checkbook.
Old 08-03-2001, 05:56 PM

I was not interested in replacing the head unit at all.
I wanted to know what will get the most bang for the buck. I am interested in MINIMAL changes that will add tight bass and generally, crisper and more reaslistic sound.
Maybe just a subwoofer and amp or a powered subwoofer and replacement front and rear speakers that sound better than the stock speakers.
I am not interested in spending thousands of dollars. If it takes thousands of dollars to get cleaner sound in the TL, I will just buy a different car that comes with a better factory system instead.
I am asking for recommendations from people who have already successfully upgraded their TL's Bose systems.
Old 08-04-2001, 01:08 AM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

that depends what your definition of "tight bass" and "crisper" sound is. those are subjective terms, of course.

A vast improvement in your sound system (to you) can take anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand.
Old 08-04-2001, 01:13 AM

Can someone make some specific recommendations of what will be the best improvements in sound quality that can be made for under $1000?
I am interested in specific brand and model equipment you have installed on your car or you have seen installed other TLs you've seen and heard.