upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrading

I really want to upgrade my system, but I have a few questions. Will installing aftermarket stuff void my warranty? If not, here's my prob:

I had a sweet system in my Jeep, consisting of:
ALPINE CDA-9820XM head unit
Alpine Type R 6.5" components w/ kenwood sub powering
Two 10" Rockford Fosgate Subs w/ MTX sub powering both

Now my problem is, most places I have checked with say that the Apline head unit cant be installed with the Navi system, and I'll have to get an FM Modulated XM unit ( I need my XM!)

I sold my head unit and XM antenna, my subs and box. I kept the Alpine type R's, and got a 12" Diamond audi sub and an XM commander, which will go in my little flip down sunglasses holder.

Why is it so difficult to add stuff with the Navi system? Will it be worth it in the future to upgrade my components and 6x9's? If i did, I would replace the factory amp, but would it be worth it to rewire everything with better wire or keep stock stuff in there?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 10:44 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Warranty void? why the heck would it do that? = NO
The places you talked to dont know what they are talking about, you can install a new HU; the only thing you will lose is the NAVI voice, everything else is fine.
I assume you have a CL? because of the 6x9 comment (6x9's are not ideal IMO)

It will be worth it to remove EVERYTHING and start with new speakers and wire and amps all around - trust me, you will be happy if you spend a little extra money and time and do it right the first time, instead of half assing it.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:29 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Uh, what kind of car do you have?

There are a lot of upgrade threads here... read up on them as they apply to your car.

As far as warranty goes, the law says that the FACT that you added aftermarket equipment cannot be a reason to void your warranty.

However, if someone does a hack job on your particular car, a dealer may decide to not honor the warranty. Not the same thing.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:14 PM
Cruisin'

I have a 2004 TSX. The stock speakers sound pretty good as far as mids and highs go, which is why I want to add the 12" sub. XM radio is a must for me. Installation prices for a 4-channel amp and new speakers were outrageous . . .
Old 01-31-2005, 09:20 PM
Cruisin'

Also, does anyone have any reviews on Diamond audio subs? Sounded pretty good at the place, but I'd like to hear any thoughts ( Diamond Audio CM312 12" D2)
I have an MTX amp powering it (5002)
Old 01-31-2005, 09:27 PM
VP Electricity

Sigh... there are a ton of upgrade threads on TSXs... and you're wrong about the mids and highs, they suck ass : )

Read this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/want-upgrade-stock-audio-294826/

I personally am worried about suggesting a system to someone who complains about pricing - so what kind of prices were so high? Help us out a bit, k?
Old 02-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Cruisin'

It would have been $600 to install all of the stuff I mentioned I had in my Jeep (2 amps, 2 subs, components, HU). That seems high, maybe it isnt, my last car I did the sound system one piece at a time so it never seemed like I was spending alot. My next step in the TSX is going to be to replace the front components, 6x9s, and amp, so what kind of price should I look for as an install?
Old 02-01-2005, 09:18 AM
VP Electricity

If someone is adding an amp to the OE HU and they don't know how, I would expect them to charge as much as $100. They may have been charging a seperate charge for figuring out how to add an amp to that car (I wold have if I were in retail and didn't know the TSX amp-addition tricks...) For two amps in the trunk, were they making a beauty board too? That would up the cost...

To install R 6x9s is around $40-50 in many places.

To install F speakers - tweets, mids, and xovers - some places charge around $100 since it's work to get the xovers in, especially in cars like the TSX where the tweet is NOT in the door. If they know they are making spacers they might have charged more...

To install a HU into the TSX is a PITA - you hav to mod the pocket or replace it, looks like custom work, and is. A DIN HU is too wide to keep the door. Best ticket is to get the Acura DIN panel for the optional DVD/MP3 player. (If you're committed to upgrading the HU). HU install is usually around $50 base, but yours they probably quoted as custom hourly work... get a requote with that panel (pics with it in use are available around here). What did you want with the OE HU? Do you have nav? What did you ask them to do to inttegrate the two together?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Cruisin'

Yes I have Navi, and asked them to try installing the HU as an aux unit off of that (replacing possibly the tape player). Didnt seem to be something they were willing to try (alot of splicing I think)

As far as the new 4 channel for the speakers, I think most of the charge came in from having to run the wire for the new speakers, and taking off the dash for the tweeters.

Right now I will be happy with my sub and XM radio, but in the future (read: after my house downpayment) I am def. going to upgrade F Components, R 6x9s and amp

Thanks for your help
Old 02-01-2005, 02:37 PM
VP Electricity

THe dash does NOT need to come off for most tweeters... they pop out.

I upgraded the tweeters and F door mids without upgrading the speaker wire.

Where are you located? You need a new shop.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:11 PM
10th Gear

Diamond subs are the ish, if you get the right ones. I had two diamond 12's in my accord, when i was in high school and it hit harder than anything else. I don't know exactly what models I had but they were the top of the line. I still have them two, they have been in two totalled cars and still hit as if they were brand new.