Upgrade my upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade my upgrade?

In my '04 TSX, I had an installer add a MRP-240 to drive my fronts and rear 6x9's (all upgraded to SPS-170's and SPS-690's). The amp is under the passenger seat.

When listening to CD's, I get plenty of tight bass. It's lacking on the low end but I didn't expect that out of the 6x9's. Overall there's great improvement.

When listening to XM, I really don't get the equivalent bass and punch that I do when listening to CD's.

I'm thinking I need to add a sub? What are my best options? I guess the easiest is kill the 6x9's and use the 4 channel amp to drive a sub. Question is, will this amp have enough juice to run a decent sub and run the fronts? What kind of sub would you suggest? For space and power reasons a single sub would probably be best.

Is this something I could DIY? How would I wire it to maximize power? Thanks!
Old 04-23-2005, 11:00 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
How is your XM connected to the '04 system? If it's FM Modulatated, bypass that and go direct. If you are already direct (SHOND or equivalent) get a line driver (PAC Turbo1 ) especially if the volume is too low.

To improve sound overall:

That amp doesn't have a ton of bass power. I'd suggest trying those 6x9s as woofers only by trying the xover for the R on LP, that would let you drive them a bit harder, and let you use your fader as a woofer level control for when you need more.

Finally, there are better 6x9 woofs than those - the MBQuart 269s (which are almost unavailalbe), and I think my avincar av69w1's could work well on that amp too. Easier than a sub box and use your current amp.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Instructor

elduderino, the XM is a line-in connection. I had some problems with noise and finally worked it out by pulling power directly from the head unit instead of the fusepanel and by repositioning a GLI. This was resolved after I had a PAC Turbo1 installed and for some reason it died after a few months. This was before the amp install. I have a Phoenix Gold LD22 line driver that's been sitting around, I guess I'll give that a shot and check xover settings. I appreciate the quick response, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Wired in the line driver this morning. That seemed to help a lot with the XM radio. Of course the downside is it seems to have uncovered some residual noise. The noise doesn't change pitch when I rev the engine so it doesn't sound like the alternator noise I got rid of earlier. Maybe I'll try moving the ground. Right now it's grounded to a bolt in the center console. Probably not the best location.

I also played with the amp a little. The xover for the rear was already set at LP. I noticed the gain and bass settings were as low as they get. I played with them a bit and the bass distorted pretty quickly. I guess that's because my 6x9's suck? elduderino, tell me what's different between your 6x9's and the alpines I have.