TWEETER'S Top 16 List

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005 | 02:13 PM
Instructor

TWEETER'S Top 16 List

TWEETER'S Top 16 List A quick rundown:

First, my brother and I installed an amp and a sub on our own w/o a hitch. Only problem, too much bass for my liking. I decided to just upgrade the interior speakers. Didn't want to take the time and energy to do all the labor again, so I figured I'd pay "professionals" to do it......or so I thought!

Sunday the 12th was my appointment (a week and 2 days ago)

Here we go folks.

Tonight's Top 16 List: "NEVER have TWEETER perform car audio installs" (Drum Roll...)

16) Right RearDoor Passenger Speaker Not Working

15) Right FrontDoor Speaker loose (not mounted securely)

14) Damaged Metal Trim Kit (Center main, Cup Holder, Front Left Door, Bottom CD Storage Bin)

13) Center Console Loose (Missing two screws)

12) Glove Box Taken apart...not fully re-assembled (Dropped to the ground when I opened it)

11) Remote Wire tapped into cigarette lighter (Constant feed...)

10) Front DriverSide Floor Kick Panel not fullly aligned with the other pieces

9) Finger grease stains on A & B Pillars

8) Chipped/Loose "Not an ashtray" storage bin (Outer frame chipped and never screwed back into place)

7) Upper storage bin pitch black at night when open (Light connection from behind the bin was never reconnected)

6) DriverSide heated seat light NOT working

5) Amp mounted to the floor of trunk (I specifically indicated to the back of the left rear seat)

4) Damage to the outer frame of the center console

3) Rear seat bench not fully secured/latched in place (you can easily lift up the entire left side of it)

2) Upon vaccuuming my car, I found 3 miscellaneous screws and a broken round plastic piece from the passenger side floor (it's supposed to go right underneath the dash)

...and the number ONE reason to NEVER have TWEETER perform install work on your car....

1) After a second shot at remedying the situation...I now have no working audio at all!!!!

Funniest line during the "it's ready" phone conversation:
"Yep, it's--all--good--to--GO!"

Car Audio manager has been informed, along with the store manager. Compensation in terms of discounts and replacement pieces are being discussed.

Last edited by Bootlegged; 06-21-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2005 | 02:27 PM
I=X - optomos

They couldnt even build me speaker spacers for my speakers & they had 3 days to do it. I am actually glad I didnt have to go through your ordeal. I feel for you
Old 06-21-2005 | 03:08 PM
Team Owner

What a joke!
Old 06-21-2005 | 03:21 PM
Not Asian

Same would go for Best Buy and Circuit City, Im sure.
Old 06-21-2005 | 03:33 PM
Guinea Pig

Go get your money back and have them pay for the parts that they broke! Here is a link to a parts department with a price of all your parts. http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/home.jsp
About mounting your amp to the floor of your trunk area. Make sure they didn't tap in to your gas tank.

What a joke! I have never even heard of "Tweeters" before. What a good first impression. The only way they would ever get my money is if they had a 85% off sale and I was aloud to test the stuff before I left the place.
Old 06-21-2005 | 04:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Ouch!

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
Old 06-21-2005 | 05:08 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by mantis23
Ouch!

If you want something done right, do it yourself.

What a bunch of idiots.
Old 06-21-2005 | 06:16 PM
El Presidente

wow, thats scary!
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:51 AM
Honda Lover

Originally Posted by phipark
Same would go for Best Buy and Circuit City, Im sure.

Those stories would warrant a forum of their own.

Sorry to here about your troubles. Speaking from experience I know that these stories tend to be the exception, not the rule.
Old 06-22-2005 | 10:21 AM
VP Electricity

Very sorry to hear you got such a crappy job.

Originally Posted by 11psiGSR
Sorry to here about your troubles. Speaking from experience I know that these stories tend to be the exception, not the rule.
That statement only means that these types of installs occur less then 50% of the time - "most".

But look at the installation business from a quality-control perspective. What percentage of comebacks would GE tolerate in their businesses? Or Toyota or Honda? I will say from experience that there is no large or midsize chain any more that has practices or controls that prevent this sort of thing. You are totally at the mercy of getting a good installer by chance - IF they have any.

If the install industry were a carmaker, as an industry, we'd be looking up at Yugo in the JD Power standings. (This is not a slam at shops that are good - it is a comment on the indsutry as a whole.)

As stereo chain stores get bigger and get run by b-school MBA types, they start slashing installer pay, and the problem - already bad - gets worse. More and more of the good installers have gone into home theatre installation - easier on your back, and no competition from the superstores.

No store trains people any more - they don't have the profit margin to take the time any more. You just hope to find an installer to hire who's already made his learning mistakes on other people's cars in another store's bay...

As a consumer, unfortunately, it's a bad job to rely or trust a store - the store could be good, or could suck. You have to trust a person. You have to meet who's wrenching on your car and decide that he knows what he's doing. Unfortunately, many stores don't want you to meet that person, either because you might figure out he's shot-in-the-head, or because he might tell you that the salesman sold you a bunch of crap - they're afraid of either or both at the same time.
Old 06-22-2005 | 10:22 AM
Instructor

You have to trust the installer working on your vehicle. Any tweeter store should aloow you to speak to the one that will be working on your vehicle. You can normally tell from someones personality if you want them working on your car or not. I know plenty of installers from tweeter, actually i used to be in management at tweeter, I trust them fully. Some stores, and this goes for alot of companies and even small shops, have bad installers. There are people out there that think the can install, but their not worth shit. Again, you should never let a shop work on your car unless you speak with the tech first.
Old 06-22-2005 | 10:31 AM
VP Electricity

Tweeter is not the same in every region. GMfreed is pretty close to their original New England home market - but they have expanded over the last 10 years by buying other regional chains, and like the other companies that have done this, they have not extended the culture or the organizational process into all of those new stores, even though they all say "Tweeter" on them now.

Some guy at a former Dow in San Diego or Sound Advice in Florida doesn't feel the same way about Tweeter as a guy on the Atlantic Seaboard would - and a lot of them have shorter tenures and greener managers.
Old 06-22-2005 | 11:37 AM
Instructor

very well said, Eldude. we can base that under corporate bullshit. Anyone that has ever worked for a large company like i have can agree with me. So happy to be back in a small shop
Old 06-22-2005 | 02:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gmfreed
You have to trust the installer working on your vehicle. ...Again, you should never let a shop work on your car unless you speak with the tech first.
Yeah, I should've been wise enough to realize that this wasn't going to go off w/o a few bumps along the way (16 to be exact).

Same question asked 3 times:
"Have you ever worked on a TSX before?"

Sales Rep = Yeah, definately (whilst breaking eye contact)

Tech Guy = Uuuuuuuuuuuh, I think so?

Audio Manager = We just worked on one the other day

Today it is being worked on for, hopefully, the FINAL time. I have about 1 more hour to go until I can assess whether or not they have fully redeemed themselves.

They are replacing all damaged pieces as soon as they come into the store: (Metal Trim Kit, Trunk Floor Partition, Not an Ashtray Bin)

Plus: Free dynamating on all the doors.

We're still conversing about a discount of sorts with regards to the final bill.
Old 06-22-2005 | 11:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CJams
Go get your money back and have them pay for the parts that they broke! Here is a link to a parts department with a price of all your parts. http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/home.jsp
About mounting your amp to the floor of your trunk area. Make sure they didn't tap in to your gas tank.

What a joke! I have never even heard of "Tweeters" before. What a good first impression. The only way they would ever get my money is if they had a 85% off sale and I was aloud to test the stuff before I left the place.

lol i got an alpine amp for 70% off from them when they were closing in philly. didnt let them instal tho haha. but i feel for u man.
Old 06-23-2005 | 11:42 AM
5th Gear

Bootlegged. I'm sorry to hear about your install. I've been through it too. I am down on my knees right now thanking god for Avincar.
Old 06-23-2005 | 01:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by madgame
Bootlegged. I'm sorry to hear about your install. I've been through it too. I am down on my knees right now thanking god for Avincar.
Yeah...I wish I was right there with you.

Got it back yesterday:

1) All speakers now pop when turning off the radio

2) Rear speakers make an audible low clicking noise whenever you adjust the bass levels from the Navi screen

3) Continous feedback/interference from front speakers when radio is off (like a broken radio transmitter)

4) The tweeters on the Rear MB Quart 6x9's rattle when amp is set to No Lo or Hi filtering (like they're blown?)

Front and Rear Speakers = Focal Access
Rear 6x9's = MBQuart RCE
Amp = JL 300/4

Now they're telling me I can't get it back in until July 4th. WTF?! July Freakin' 4th!! I have demanded sooner and they will "get back to me on that."

:silvermad :troutslap :angryfire :smitler:
Old 06-23-2005 | 01:09 PM
VP Electricity

OK, right off the top, I can almost guarantee that they used LOCs or the amp's speaker level input and did not follow the HU interface article. (You did give that to them, right?) I think that is the cause of 1 and 2.

I think they are using the signal-sense turn on on the JL instead of the RTO input - at least when I had a 300/4 in the TSX mine never did that. That's 2.

The front speaker xovers are picking up noise - they probably put them either behind/below the HU (on top of the Airbag ECU) or they put them below the glove box byut too far to the left, too CLOSE to the Airbag ECU. I had this problem and moving the xovers to the outbard side near the pass kick panel totally solved that problem. That's 3.

YOu have the tweeters on the R 6x9's? (I didn't even connect mine - ran mine as woofers only and set the amp R channels to LP at about 70 Hz). That would solve 4...
Old 06-23-2005 | 01:12 PM
VP Electricity

You have a PM...
Old 06-23-2005 | 02:00 PM
Instructor

Ha...SWEET!

Dude to the rescue
Old 06-23-2005 | 02:16 PM
Guinea Pig

Bootlegged- I think you should get a full refund for the install labor charges and take it elsewhere.
Old 06-23-2005 | 05:16 PM
VP Electricity

Faxed new installer 7 pages of data. System is being re-installed on the 28th. I don't have any influence on the parts replacement, but I am confident that the noises and the pops will be gone and the SQ will be muich better.

"They're nice guys - those CIA guys, they're nice guys...they just needed to think it through is all"

Robert DiNiro, Wag the Dog
Old 06-24-2005 | 09:53 AM
I=X - optomos

Originally Posted by elduderino
Faxed new installer 7 pages of data. System is being re-installed on the 28th. I don't have any influence on the parts replacement, but I am confident that the noises and the pops will be gone and the SQ will be muich better.

"They're nice guys - those CIA guys, they're nice guys...they just needed to think it through is all"

Robert DiNiro, Wag the Dog
That was nice of you.
Old 06-24-2005 | 09:57 AM
El Presidente

Go Elduderino!
Old 06-24-2005 | 10:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dark inspire
Go Elduderino!
Yeah, Elduderino! Thanks a million! I don't know what I would've done if you didn't take the reigns on this one...

Tuesday's the big day...should go off w/o a hitch this time. I'll keep you guys posted for sure

This ACURA forum rules beyond belief...

We're all just one BIG happy family

:gheyhug: :gheyhug: :gheyhug: :gheyhug:
Old 06-24-2005 | 11:02 AM
El Presidente

I think we need a WestCoast Meet at Elduderino's shop!
Old 06-24-2005 | 12:50 PM
VP Electricity

Yeah, with my room for all of one car at a time : )
Old 06-24-2005 | 01:10 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by elduderino
Yeah, with my room for all of one car at a time : )

forgot about that! but it would still be fun, my car would be in there first of course
Old 07-04-2005 | 02:44 PM
VP Electricity

So how did this all turn out?
Old 07-04-2005 | 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Elduderino,
I may just make a road trip from TX for an install I do not need just because you have such great customer service.
Old 07-05-2005 | 01:06 PM
Instructor

Finally, Tweeter figured it all out and I now have a quality upgraded sound system!!

None of which would be possible w/o the knowledge and experience of Elduderino! He gave them a call, faxed over some paperwork, and VOILA...knocked it out in one day w/o any hiccups. If only it could've been done right the FIRST time...

Only remaining issues are replacing the specific center console pieces they banged up, the floor trunk partition, and an overall discount on my purchase for my time and effort away from work, home, and the money spent paying for cab rides to and fro.

Thanks to everyone for their support in this... If I could, I would upgrade all of your speaker systems while recommending Tweeter as the installer....

...wait a minute
Old 07-05-2005 | 01:27 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

good thing this all worked out man