Tweeter Placement

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tweeter Placement

Hey, I'm still trying to figure out where I want to have my tweeters. I've tried them in different places and I seem to like them on the door panel right below the door sail. The problem is that I don't want to drill into the door panel. I tried them at the stock location and it seems like the sound is to far up front. Tried them in the top dash venting holes and they sound a little to harsh/bright to me. At the moment I have them on the door sail and they sound ok.

I've been searching around and it seems like everyone is placing them in the stock location. Now, did you guys test out the tweeters in different locations before deciding to go with the stock location?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Instructor

I wish i had tested tweets in the door. Cutting the door made me too nervous.

I replaced tweeters (tsx) and placed them in the stock location. They were overpowering until the tweeter signal amplitude was reduced. You can use an L-pad (although i haven't used one before)... i hacked up my stock amp and put in a variable gain/attenuation stage. Now the high/mid balance is much better.

Being near the glass has been concerning though... part of the tweet output travels direct to the listener and part gets reflected off the glass, then travels to the listener. Usually, a studio would work with absorbers to kill ugly reflections that can screw up the timing of when information reaches the listener. As is, the tsx presents the same information (highs) at least twice with a time delayed version of the first. Door mounted tweets i bet would kill the concern of reflections/time delayed versions assuming its angled correctly.

The A-pillar could be another possibility, but working around airbags would make me nervous.

you might find the acoustic answers you seek at www.diymobileaudio.com

Last edited by Castles_Saloon; 10-04-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Racer

alright, I'll do a little more searching.

I was also thinking about doing the a-pillar but the airbags scared me.

By the way, I'm running some Rainbow 265 cmx kicks.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in the sound-staging world. you would want your tweeters with-in 6'' of your driver. ive have found in the past, that the kick panel is a very good spot for these.... it just all depends on what your looking for..
Old 10-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Racer

I've tried them in the kick panel and I really like it but the sound just sounds to low for. I like the sound to be at least ear level..