TSX - would full range 6x9s be worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TSX - would full range 6x9s be worth it?

I'm in the planning stage of my TSX's cabin audio upgrade. One of the things I'm considering doing is running a splice from the rear door speaker wire to the rear deck, in order to connect them to full-range aftermarket 6x9s. Would this be worth doing at all? Currently my bass-only 6x9s are disconnected in favor of my sub setup.

When I upgrade the cabin, I want a lot of high range presence to come from the back deck. I know it isn't the audio-purist way of doing things but its what I want.

Would the stock amp be able to power both the rear door 6.5s and new rear 6x9s from the same leads?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:27 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reach
. Would this be worth doing at all? Currently my bass-only 6x9s are disconnected in favor of my sub setup.
It's been done...

When I upgrade the cabin, I want a lot of high range presence to come from the back deck.
You must have a windbreaker that says "Security" you wear at concerts

Oh, well, freedom is letting people do things we don't like.

But I resist the "purist" label as an attempt at marginalization, like "liberal". How about "traditionalist"? Or "professional"? Just as accurate

Would the stock amp be able to power both the rear door 6.5s and new rear 6x9s from the same leads?
Hmm... it's not just a wattage thing, it's also an impedance thing. I suspect the answer is yes, but if it blew up, I'd be wrong. Deck power IC's run two pair per output a lot, though.

Based on what you said above, the rear doors aren't a big deal for you. The safest approach is killing the rear doors and just running the rear deck with those outputs.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by elduderino
But I resist the "purist" label as an attempt at marginalization, like "liberal". How about "traditionalist"? Or "professional"? Just as accurate
How deeply I agree with you about this characterization of marginalization.

But that aside. I guess I would like to hear of similar-but-different setups for rear area presence. I'm trying to avoid going all-out (for now) and just using what the factory amp gives me with aftermarket speakers and a little re-wiring if necessary.

Do you think I'd even notice if I went without rear door speakers and took the wires straigh to deck full-range by-nines? Sitting in the back seat, would I feel like I was missing something? This does seem to be an 'easy' setup to accomplish.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:10 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Do you think I'd even notice if I went without rear door speakers and took the wires straigh to deck full-range by-nines?
My opinion is probably not useful.

Sitting in the back seat, would I feel like I was missing something? This does seem to be an 'easy' setup to accomplish.
Not too hard to test. Change 4 wires at the OEM amp and try it.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Good point! I could re-wire the amp instead of stringing cabling through the doors. A novice like me doesn't always think of these things you know And yes, your opinion has always been valuable to me. I trusted you with the sub choice, and you were right on, so I'll listen to anything you have to say.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he's gonna tell you that 6*9's are shite, and tell you not to hook them up full-range.

and he's probably right.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

What I don't hear are any overwhelming 'yes!' answers. So I'll take that as a 'No' to my original question.

OK, I do appreciate the limited feedback. With my sub I'm really happy with the bass, but the treble needs to be fixed soon. I guess I'll just look into drop-in replacements for the 4 doors and dash tweeters.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought in one of many speaker replacement posts, someone had mentioned that using fullrange speakers in the rear did produce some amount of midrange. I got the impression it was more than zero (on a scale of 0-10), but much less than 10 (ie. full range). Maybe around a 1-3.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2006, 11:17 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Originally Posted by elduderino
My opinion is probably not useful.

Not too hard to test. Change 4 wires at the OEM amp and try it.
Question...

I did this, primarily beacuse i had a nice set of 6x9's and I didn't want to go buy a set of 6.5"s for the back doors. ( I have a JL Audio 12 in the trunk for the bass)

The setup worked fine for quite some time, now all of a sudden though my back deck speakers do not work. And since I killed the doors, I basically have no rear speakers.

I tried hooking up a cheap speaker to the wires to see if maybe the speakers had a problem, but after hooking it up and no sound coming to it, its clear that the wires aren't recieving any sound from the stock amp anymore.

So, I dont know how to test to see if the stock TSX amp has gone bad? Or what else could it be?

At first I thought that maybe one of the connections I made might have come loose from switching the doors to the deck, but that doesn't explain why BOTH back speakers are now not reciving anything from the amp.

Any ideas appreciated. I dont even know how to test the amp.