TSX speaker poll - who has what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tonka_146
hey do you know how to change out the dash tweeters?or how much of a hassle it would be
Getting them out is cake. they pop right out, carefully using a screwdriver or other less damaging flat object. Not sure if there are many that "fit" in the existing plates

-mark
Old 07-01-2005, 09:33 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
Just curious, why the Alpine type-s in the rear as opposed to Polk db690's -- am I wrong that those would "match" the db650's in the doors? I'm a neophyte to car audio but know a little about home audio/pro audio. I, too, want to tighten up the bass and smooth out the mids. The stock speakers sound pretty generic.

Also, how do you wire power amps into the stock system -- does the head unit have pre-outs? Do you need them?
Speakers don't "match" that well.

Since this discussion isn't in the A/V thread, you can't easily see that in the AV thread there is all this info about the TSX system - and more (such as yes, it has preouts):

FAQ's on TSX audio:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/general-faqs-about-tsx-audio-system-289830/

Preamp outputs:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/instructions-install-shop-preamp-output-300209/

And with all "what rocks in this car" discussions, there ought to be a budget in there. What "rocks" for $99 a speaker is pale compared to what "rocks" for a higher budget.

I have $800 of audio gear, retail, in my TSX. I probably have as much in retail installation (sound damping in the f doors, modded F tweeters, amp concealed under F seat, molded fiberglass sub enclosure.) I only have 5 drivers and a 4-channel amp... but it sounds better than most systems.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
speakers: stock
cost: N/A
satisfaction: Sound is just OK but I'd like a little more clarity and a cleaner bass. The tweets sound a little harsh/shrill and there isn't enough midbass from the front doors. Loooking to upgrade
I will be installing the Avincar speaker upgrade kit. Elduderino informs me that it should be arriving soon. For those who don't know about it, check here.
I'm really looking forward to hearing it as it promises to be an excellent upgrade. Where else can you get an experienced audio pro to custom design and match speakers to your car's HU and interior, including all hardware for a drop-in installation, for that price? For those interested I'll post my review in Audio/Video once its installed.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
System
1. Front Speakers: AVI Sound Direct 6.5 Component. $280
2. Rear Door Speakers: Rockford Fosgate 6.5 Component. $120
3. Rear 6X9: Alpine Type S. $90
4. Trunk: 2 Phoenix Gold 12" Subs with JL W6 Factory Box (Got it for free from friend), Phoenix Gold Sub Amp. $650
5. Alpine IVA-D300 connected to AUX using SOUNDGATE Adapter, and bypassed using PAC TR-7. $1300 installed.

Damping
1. Four Doors: Cascade Audio Engineering (CAE) Spray Damper.
2. Trunk: Dynamat. <--Really HEAVY! My trunk won't pop up anymore...
Old 07-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I will be installing the Avincar speaker upgrade kit. Elduderino informs me that it should be arriving soon. For those who don't know about it, check here.
I'm really looking forward to hearing it as it promises to be an excellent upgrade. Where else can you get an experienced audio pro to custom design and match speakers to your car's HU and interior, including all hardware for a drop-in installation, for that price? For those interested I'll post my review in Audio/Video once its installed.
Definitely interested. In fact, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to listen to you car once you get them installed as I'm interested in upgrading my sound system as well.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Definitely interested. In fact, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to listen to you car once you get them installed as I'm interested in upgrading my sound system as well.
Once I get everything installed and post the review PM me and we'll work it out. I also know that there is a SoCal TSX meet in the works and I'm planning on attending so you can also listen to it there.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
just bought the alpine type-s 6x9's..gonna put them in tonight...cant wait to hear how it sounds...eventually gonna change the door speakers probably this coming week...i was just wondering before i bought these 6x9's...if i should go with the type-r or type-s...i'm not changing the oem amp or the stereo...i was wondering what the difference would be as far as sound between the 2...the type-r was around $40-$50 more...so i went with the type-s...not looking to spend too much money...i just wanted to upgrade the speakers to get better quality sound as many of you here have done so...any suggestions would be appreciated...
Old 07-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the type-S if you do not plan on getting an amp, they are more efficient with the stock amp....if you planned on getting an amp to power all the speakers, then get the type-R
Old 07-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Drifting

thanks..i did get the type-s...i just wanted to make sure that i would notice a difference versus the stocks also...also i have a 4channel alpine amp sitting around...i was told that if i decided to hook it up to the speakers that the type-s would be fine...but for now...i'm just upgrading the speakers...
Old 07-02-2005, 01:43 AM
Drifting

well...i replaced my 6x9's with the alpine type-s...couldn't really tell much difference except with songs that have that deep bass... much tighter and deeper....my factory speaker grills stick up a little towards the back windshield...anyone with they type-s have the same problem? if so...do i need to cut or shave off something? i also noticed when the deep bass kicks in..i get a rattle coming from the center inside part of the trunk... will be switching out all 4 61/2's by next week...
Old 07-02-2005, 01:45 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drigo
well...i replaced my 6x9's with the alpine type-s...couldn't really tell much difference except with songs that have that deep bass... much tighter and deeper....my factory speaker grills stick up a little towards the back windshield...anyone with they type-s have the same problem? if so...do i need to cut or shave off something? i also noticed when the deep bass kicks in..i get a rattle coming from the center inside part of the trunk... will be switching out all 4 61/2's by next week...
Did you slide the tabs that point towards the rear windshield in before you popped the front side into place?

There's a good chance that's your problem.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:10 AM
Drifting

that could be it...but im not sure...i'll have to check it out tomorrow or should i say in a few hours...thanks...i hope thats the problem..
Old 07-02-2005, 02:14 AM
Drifting

i' not sure if thats what i did but if you are talking about the white tabs that pop in and you can see it from the inside of the trunk then yes i did that...otherwise i owuld have to check it out later...i hope thats the problem..thanks...
i thought the cause of it was from the center part of the speaker itself...since its a 3way the tweeter part sticks up compared to the stocks or type-r's...
Old 07-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Racer

System
1. Front Speakers: MB QUART P-Series 6.5 components
2. Rear Door Speakers: MB QUART R-Series 6.5 component
both running on Soundstream Van Gogh VGA320.4 amp
3. Trunk: JL 13W6V2 with a JL 500/1

forgot price for all of them haha.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:11 AM
Advanced

Stock HU bypassed - using Pioneer 9450
Front - DLS UR6s - tweets run by PPI 280, mids by Cadence Q400 bridged
Rear - zip, nada, - rear speaker holes now act as vents for the sub in the boot/trunk
Trunk - IDMAX12 sealed box run by JBL BP1200.1
Old 07-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Cruisin'

Just curious, why the Alpine type-s in the rear as opposed to Polk db690's -- am I wrong that those would "match" the db650's in the doors? I'm a neophyte to car audio but know a little about home audio/pro audio. I, too, want to tighten up the bass and smooth out the mids. The stock speakers sound pretty generic.

Also, how do you wire power amps into the stock system -- does the head unit have pre-outs? Do you need them?
Since the head unit is sending out different freq's to the speakers it's not that important that they "match". It is important that they have the same db/watt.
Also the Alpine s was a proven fit with lots of positive feedback. I think the db690's may be a little deep for the trunk springs. If adding a amp you have to get one with line level inputs as the stock HU does not have RCA outs for a ext. amp.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:43 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nivla
If adding a amp you have to get one with line level inputs as the stock HU does not have RCA outs for a ext. amp.
Give 'em books and give 'em books and all they do is eat the covers.

Don't ANY of you guys read the A/V section? Your car has preamp outs just with no RCA connectors, and you do not need speaker-level inputs. It's a very clean-sounding HU when you do it right.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300209
Old 07-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Instructor

eld, the tweets are mounted coax style electronically x ed over and time aligned using my alpine 9833. jl300/4 for the 240 gt's and a 500/1 for a 10w3v2. i will be turining in this car later this year and will get another tsx or a tl (if my gandson grows any bigger soon; he's only18 months). i'll be getting navi this time (the main reason i am changing cars) and i will want your input on what can/should be done. jps
Old 07-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Registered Driver

how do you like the 650's with the 690's? i agree, ebay is the way to go if you know what you want and you pay attention to feedback, can save $$.

i installed the 650 and the 690's today .... they sound good its just they need some more power thats all.... and the 690's fit perfect in the rear
Old 07-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Team Owner

Avincar 6x9s installed

I'm part of the way there. The Avincar speaker kit arrived last week. I finished the 6x9 on Sunday. My review is here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/avincar-speaker-upgrade-tsx-review-312425/

I'll be doing the doors/tweets soon.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Did you slide the tabs that point towards the rear windshield in before you popped the front side into place?

There's a good chance that's your problem.
thanks..checked the tabs and did it like you said and now its all flushed...also completed my speakers..
alpine type-s 6x9's
infinity 6012i'a 6x5's(all 4 doors)
stock radio & stock amp
sound= awesome...more crispy and tighter bass
Old 03-19-2010, 03:02 PM
2nd Gear

Have anyone put in a jl component speaker system into their cars?