TSX: adding amp and preserving navi voice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX: adding amp and preserving navi voice?

I've been going through the TSX audio forums to find a solution to my problem.

I have 2 amps a dedicated class D for the subs and a 4 channel amp. I have an 05 TSX with navi and replaced the fronts with components and the rears and disconeccted the 6 x 9s. My question is this? Can you guide me on how to keep fader, balance, and the voice navi (mute and voice directions) in tact with this setup?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Advanced

I don't quite understand. Did you just replace the speakers? If so, then nav unit functionalitry really should not have changed.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
So you're running an aftermarket HU?

Mercman here on the forums makes a custom amp bypass harness, on downside of it is you don't get as much tuning options up front. I still think it's well worth it, keeps your car looking stock and you keep all functions
Old 01-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Sorry for not clarifying...

I have an '05 TSX with navi

I kept everything stock (including the headunit) and added a 4 channel amp to power aftermarket component speakers and rear door speakers.

I also added a mono amp to power my 2 10' subs.

Everything works except my fader, balance, and navigation voice (it doesn't mute and it doesn't put the voice through).

So my question is this...

1. how can I regain the fader, navi voice, and balance (either by rewiring, buying mercman's adapter, or buying some other reverse harness adapter?)

2. Has anyone added a new amp and subs while keeping stock headunit and stock navi voice for a TSX?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Not sure how you have it hooked up but it appears that your amp is connected to the rear speakers only. The fronts Mute and the voice is front only. This would explain why your fader doesn’t work.

More importantly, you just can’t add an amp to the TSX factory system (with the exception of a sub amp off the rear deck speakers) and expect it to work. The TSX requires an amp that can accept a balanced audio signal.

Take a look at the FAQ TSX section; see the post on the correct way to bypass the TSX amp.

jeff
Old 01-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Wow you're good at what you do Mercman...

That's exactly what my "professional installers" did, wire it off the rear speakers. So my question is this...since you have an '06 with Navi, does your Navi voice still work after you added an amp with your custom harness, or no?

Let me know and where do you sell your harnesses? ebay?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes mercmans harness lets you keep the navi and voice. just pm him about the harness and he'll make one for you.

i also have an extra mercman harness with the new rfi protection on it that i'm not using anymore. i ended up going with an afermarket headunit. so if you want a used one, pm me or if you rather have a new one pm mercman.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by michep21
Wow you're good at what you do Mercman...

That's exactly what my "professional installers" did, wire it off the rear speakers. So my question is this...since you have an '06 with Navi, does your Navi voice still work after you added an amp with your custom harness, or no?

Let me know and where do you sell your harnesses? ebay?
In addition to the harness you will need a device to convert the HU outputs to unbalanced RCA coaxial. I make them too but won’t have any ready for a few weeks (testing a new design). You can pick up zidenx’s extra harness or wait for the next batch. I am currently out of wire and waiting for a back order.

jeff
Old 01-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mercman
In addition to the harness you will need a device to convert the HU outputs to unbalanced RCA coaxial. I make them too but won’t have any ready for a few weeks (testing a new design). You can pick up zidenx’s extra harness or wait for the next batch. I am currently out of wire and waiting for a back order.

jeff
1. Will these also work for the '05? have they been tested since the nav is different?
2. How much $_$ are we looking at for both of these?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. The nav output is the same, it will work.
2. Take that to private message with mercman. If you're too new for private messaging (it takes a while and a few posts before it will turn on for our new members) post your email address and he will get back to you.