TL HU Primary Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL HU Primary Wiring

Hi All,

A while back I posted my plan to install a TL HU, with 2 front speakers only, in my Austin Healey. I expected a simple wiring installation but am a little confused after reviewing the connector-wiring diagram. I don’t want to blow the unit and would appreciate any clarification on the following:
1. A1 - ORN - Radio Switched Power - Is this 12V power with the Ignition ON?)
2. A2 WHT/RED - ACC (Main Stereo Power Supply) - What does this do and is it required?
3. A3 - GRN/RED - Radio Remote Switch - Is this the steering wheel switch?
4. A4 - BLU - Security Input - Is this the constant 12V input required for the security system?

I would appreciate any help?

All the best,

Ray
Old 02-23-2007, 07:23 AM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
make your life easy and get an adaptor for your car........it plugs in to the factory plug and all the wires on the other end match up with the standard aftermarket HU wire colors its really easy........
Old 02-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for your very desirable suggestion. If it were possible I would go that route, however, this is a 1964 British sports car that came with an AM radio at best…1 power, case ground, and speaker line.

Although I expect I need a switched power line, ground, and constant power line (for security system) I would like to verify what A2, A3, and A4 are, and, if they are also necessary.

Thanks again for your response,

Ray
Old 02-23-2007, 08:26 PM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
wow i just realized what your trying to do...........why do want to put a tl head unit into your austin healey.........
Old 02-24-2007, 01:54 AM
Intermediate

I purchased the car new in ’64 and traveled throughout the country. Over the past decade I totally restored the car and now plan to drive from NJ to Florida, Arizona, and California …and back. I have converted the car from generator to alternator and made a few other modifications to secure added reliability. My last step is to be able to listen to something during the hours on the road.

Originally, I considered upgrading my AM radio to a period AM/FM and install a satellite receiver. However, when looking at the cost/benefit, the benefits came up short.

One day when driving my TL, I glanced at the HU and realized it had most of what I wanted…AM/FM, CD, Tape. As with all my modifications, installing a modern unit would require the change to be reversible and the original vertical dash would have to be severely altered to accommodate the TL’s HU. After reviewing my options, I purchased a TL HU from eBay and replicated the vertical dash as closely as possible to allow for the HU’s accommodation. Now I am at the installation stage.

I am looking for a simple installation (A2-Switched Power, A10-Constant Power, A9-Dash Light input, and (2) front speaker connections) and, after reviewing the “A” connector; want to verify my understanding before I blow the unit. Original I thought A1 provided power to the radio, however, now I believe it is A2. At first glance I thought A4 required a constant voltage for the security system and now I think it is A10. Presently I am not sure whether A9 or A19 should be connected to my dash light circuit.

Well, that’s the story. Not quite an audiophile but more a tinkered looking to hear more then my self think.

Sorry for the long winded answer. Any help verifying my connection understanding would be appreciated.

All the best,

Ray