TL electronics (DVD-audio, bluetooth, XM) in 04 TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004 | 10:50 AM
4th Gear

TL electronics (DVD-audio, bluetooth, XM) in 04 TSX?

Has anyone looking seriously into doing a major upgrade to add the capabilities of the 04/05 TLs to a TSX? I was just building and pricing a new TL on the Acura website, but I realized ALL I really want is to have bluetooth and DVD-audio added to my 04 TSX. Further, it would cost me several thousand $$ net to trade in the TSX for a new TL, which I do not even want. However, my desire for the technology is strong. I know it would be costly, but for a couple grand, would it be possible to get the needed parts to convert or update my navi/stereo to the TL's capabilities?
Old 12-23-2004 | 11:05 AM
Team Owner

Possible, sure. Anything is possible with enough effort. Is it cost effective? Not even close. You'd probably spend more on getting that stuff custom fitted, wired, and installed than you would trading in for a TL.
Old 12-23-2004 | 12:14 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Go aftermarket and you can get all of things you want . It won't be as integrated as the TL, but it will be a lot less cheaper and difficult.
Old 12-23-2004 | 02:43 PM
VP Electricity

Just out of curiosity, do you have a collection of DVD-Audio music discs?

I'm a bit unclear on having a higher-quality format unless you are already supporting it at home.

I'm also thinking that the TL doesn't let you take advantage of the better format with its sound system capability...
Old 12-23-2004 | 02:50 PM
4th Gear

Actually, DVD-Audio is not the real driving goal....it is integrated bluetooth. I do have some DVD-Audio discs, but they are not really that amazing. On the aftermarket front- what is out there that even approaches the navi/bluetooth/soundsystem integration of the TL? I considered trading my TSX in another few months for a new 05 Mustang Convertible. That would be a car I could see ordering with little or no stereo, and adding an aftermarket navi/stereo/bluetooth package, if such a thing exists.
Old 12-23-2004 | 02:53 PM
VP Electricity

I expect that there will be more integrated BT HUs introduced at CES 2005 in early January. (I'll report from the show).

BTW, what BT handset are you using? The Moto 710 on VZW, for example, has reported problems with both the TL and the LS400 (the answer to your other question: )

For instance, when a text message is received, I think it shows up as an incoming call but you can't answer it...
Old 12-23-2004 | 03:15 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by mikemav
Actually, DVD-Audio is not the real driving goal....it is integrated bluetooth. I do have some DVD-Audio discs, but they are not really that amazing. On the aftermarket front- what is out there that even approaches the navi/bluetooth/soundsystem integration of the TL? I considered trading my TSX in another few months for a new 05 Mustang Convertible. That would be a car I could see ordering with little or no stereo, and adding an aftermarket navi/stereo/bluetooth package, if such a thing exists.
Well...you can take a look at my setup. Mine is pretty integrated. I have my bluetooth car kit hooked up to the mute wire of my Pioneer N1 navigation unit. When I place or receive calls my stereo mutes. I have voice control of the Navi/audio/video and I can voice dial with my bluetooth kit. There is also an XM attachment available for my deck. I want Sirius later though, that's if I even get anything else. I already have plenty of entertainment.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=pioneer+n1
Old 12-23-2004 | 03:28 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

Im with Eld. Wait for an aftermarket HU with bluetooth and hook it up as an AUX component. Then when you are ready to use it to receieve/make a call, just change to AUX on your HU. This is all in theory, but I think something like this should be out very soon.
Old 12-23-2004 | 03:39 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Yeah an aftermarket HU with integrated bluetooth and navi would be tight!

Only thing is, when will come out and how much will it cost?
New technology usually costs big bucks right when it comes out. You get ripped off if you buy right when it comes out :thief:
Old 12-23-2004 | 04:59 PM
VP Electricity

"Ripped off"? Is that what we're calling early adopters now? Crime victims?

BT was too expensive but the chips are darned cheap now... it'll happen.
Old 12-23-2004 | 06:50 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Well...when new technology comes out it's usually really expensive. If you want to be an early adopter, then you have pay a lot of more money than someone who comes and buys a similar product a year or two later. The price difference can be really big depending on the product and it's a ripoff IMO.

Take Mp3 decks for example. When I got my first Mp3 deck, I got it right when it came out. I payed like $500 for the deck. After awhile..I started seeing better mp3 decks going for like $300 and now they are only like $150-200.

The bottom line is if you're an early adopter you are going to pay a lot more for the technology than someone who buys the same type of thing a year or two later.

When the bluetooth decks come out, I'm thinking they are going to be pretty expensive. I would be surprised if they came out and were about the same price as the current decks out there. I know that they will eventually get cheaper....but the big questions is how long will that take?

I know that "It'll...happen" but it's going to take some time for the price to go down.