those using ps2 with their vdo in navi check this out!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 01:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got bored tonight and was thinking of how ugly and tack it was to use those power inverter things so i modified my ps2 and took a cd player car adapter thing and modifed it so i can plug straight in 12 volts and skip the whole....extra crap!!! check it out

here is what the connection looks like

here is what the plug looks like i use the exisiting hole that all ps2 have..so it look like a regular ps2 but (CAR READY) hehehe

here is a pic of it pluged into the portable 12volt battery...i was too lazy to walk to the car so i just plug it in there

here is a pic of it on!!!

here is the whole thing

btw...it works both way...the home 110v plug still works too!!!
Old 02-17-2002, 01:56 AM
Instructor

You really know what you are doing!!!
Old 02-17-2002, 02:03 AM
Banned

Madd Props. Will do soon
Old 02-17-2002, 03:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

And it works fine? No problem with little power to te PS2?
Old 02-17-2002, 03:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

yep works fine...watched fast and the furious just fine.......the poswer is an issue tho my batter pack is almost dead from just a few hours of use but if you plug it into a ciragrette adapter...your have more then enought power......
Old 02-17-2002, 03:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by asiankidd
yep works fine...watched fast and the furious just fine.......the poswer is an issue tho my batter pack is almost dead from just a few hours of use but if you plug it into a ciragrette adapter...your have more then enought power......
Damn that's cool, how much will you charge if I sent you my PS2 and have you do this for me?
Old 02-17-2002, 10:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Nice, I need one of these, b/c my Power Inverter is always humming and gives extra noise that I don't need, esp when I was watching Saving Private Ryan. It helps create hiss on the FM Modulator. I think your idea would actually help kill most of this noise b/c there is no power inverter.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:52 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bdimc2001
my Power Inverter is always humming and gives extra noise that I don't need, esp when I was watching Saving Private Ryan.
That humming noise when you're watching Private Ryan has nothing to do with your power inverter- that's the sound of the bombing overhead!! :flamer: :thefinger
Old 02-17-2002, 12:34 PM
Pro

Just be careful about supplying too much voltage to your PS2 for extended periods of time. Not all car bateries actually supply 12V. Most supply greater than 12V, up to 16V. It might be prudent to use a multimeter to measure the actual voltage that you are getting at the output of your custom adapter. If its too much, you can drop the voltage using some resistors in series. Just a thought...
Old 02-17-2002, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Very nice tip, Thanx. It'll help solve my clearnce problems as both the PS2 and powere inverter use too much space under the seat and the PS2 always ends up sliding out. Its also real annoying getting at the power inverters power buttons down there.

What modifications were involved?
Old 02-17-2002, 03:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by nameeri

Just be careful about supplying too much voltage to your PS2 for extended periods of time. Not all car bateries actually supply 12V. Most supply greater than 12V, up to 16V. It might be prudent to use a multimeter to measure the actual voltage that you are getting at the output of your custom adapter. If its too much, you can drop the voltage using some resistors in series. Just a thought...

yeah i did use the resistor but then i thought where the hell am i gonna fit a 79 watt resistor so what i did was tap into the powersupply regultor hence the reason the fan still works!! but yeah i dont plan on selling it or switching it from car to car so in the tl i'll test it out and when its ok...Bam its set!!! thanks for the heads up!!!
Old 02-17-2002, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
Very nice tip, Thanx. It'll help solve my clearnce problems as both the PS2 and powere inverter use too much space under the seat and the PS2 always ends up sliding out. Its also real annoying getting at the power inverters power buttons down there.

What modifications were involved?
first of all material.....

-old car power adapter(cord) male plug (riped it off a cell phone setup)

-female plug (riped it off a CELL phone and grinded it down in a lil cube)

-then open up the ps2 entirely.....remove the powersupply and then remove the metal ground piece that is locked in by clips there the hole is!!!

-once done dremmel out enough space so that you can squeeze the female plug in.

-stick the male plug thru the hole and make sure it fits into the female plug and then power the plug to make sure power gets thru once the plug from outside looks ok super glue the female plug inside.

-running the wires....you see that there is 4 metal plugs that goes from top to bottom.....2 of them are positive 12 volts and 2 are ground...i confirmed that their both connected so i have no idea why sony used 4 prong instead of 2...but they did and well tap the power into those prongs.....that will serve to power the ps2.....

-put the ps2 back together....and make an adapter of 12 volts with about 7.5 amps during testing the highest the ps2 ever drew was 4.6 amps but the stock power supply was made to put out 8...so be on the safe side.... hope that helps
Old 02-17-2002, 09:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by evolaerok

Damn that's cool, how much will you charge if I sent you my PS2 and have you do this for me?
i have no idea...hehehe....if you send it on a weekend and want me to do it for you ...id be more than happy, but while doing so you void sony's warantee.... but its up to you.....but the time put into it i woudl probably say i would charge 50 bucks....just my opinion but i dunnno if i would do it as a service to anyone...unless you reallllly wanted it or something....i would do it as a favor instead.....lates

JON LERD
Old 02-18-2002, 11:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats a good idea...would you mind writing a step by step instructions (possibly with pictures ) that we can dumpin the FAQ section to help otu other members? That would be really cool to do and I'm sure a lot of other members would love to do this too.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ArN 2000 TL
Thats a good idea...would you mind writing a step by step instructions (possibly with pictures ) that we can dumpin the FAQ section to help otu other members? That would be really cool to do and I'm sure a lot of other members would love to do this too.
will do...i'll try my best to help you out check back soon!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 10:55 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2002, 12:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ArN 2000 TL
if this will surely make it in the faq i would gladly and be my honor to break it down with pics...but at this time i can only half a$$ it with the instructions cus i think my ps2 is getting sick of being ripped apart so many times..heheh...imma cross my fingers and hope this gets FAQ when i put up instructions

JON LERD
Old 02-20-2002, 09:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

for all the work i put in i hope this makes it to the FAQ PAGE!!!!

First turn your ps2 upside down and pry off the clips hiding the screws. (use a fine flat head screwdriver) once they are popped up use your finger to pull them completely off, after that remove the screws, once all the screws are off both the top and bottom pieces of the ps2 will be loose start off with taking off the bottom piece like the pic above indicates. Once done remove the 2 screws marked in yellow the right steel cage has a top piece remove that and the left side has a aluminium heat shield remove that also…put that aside.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

You need to unplug the power for the fan simply pulling out the wire harness.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Once done…remove the following cables, by lifting the brown latches and slide the cable out also there is a little black plastic guard that is removeable also so just take that off and put it to the side, and remove the ground screw . I don’t have a pic but on the left of the fan there is a screw that you need to remove before you can remove the main board…once off lift the other part of the steel cage to the right to make room so you can fit your hands around the board grab the bottom right and top left portion and firmly lift both sides evenly and carefully take the main board and the steel cage TOGETHER and place it to the side…
Old 02-20-2002, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Once the main board is remove you will have the following pic, now I didn’t take pic of the stock setup but you will need to turn it over an remove the top cover of the ps2…(when opening it up…have the ps2 facing you and slide the cover towards you just a little and then lift up once off there is a wire on the right hand side, so just fold the cover to the right and leave the wire connected..now you will see a power supply board there is 4 screwes on each corner take those screws off and the power supply will simply lift upwards….(grab the board by the heat fins and pull up straight and then put off to the side….once removed you will see clips holding a metal ground stud (the place where the ps2 12volt power will connect at) you will need to remove this and then cut around to fit a female plug in its place be careful not to cut too much you will want a “wall” to glue the female plug against.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 02-20-2002, 09:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

once the ground stud is removed….you will need a heat knife or some plastic cutting tool to cut and fit a female plug in…before you fit a plug in make sure you solider the wires on first… once you run the wires you need to plug it into the system power lines…from the images I provided the red is positive and the black is negative…the terminals are the following from left to right 1,2, 3, 4. 1&2 being +12 volts and 3&4 being ground run those wires you might prefer to solider it onto the board directly as I did but not in the pics…… make sure the wires are too small and not too big….once your done…test the terminals so that you can verify that nothing is shorting. Once you tested it simply put everything back together and flip her around and install back the power supply board as for an power adapter….i used an old cell phone adapter and modified it internally….make sure you use a capacitor of decent size to eliminate some of the engine noise and a voltage regulator to protect against any surges but I think you can get by with out either…you can pick up a dc cord from radio shack as for the female plug also….the specs are 12 volts at 3 amps radio shack has it as a high current adapter….so use that….. and enjoy!!!
Old 02-20-2002, 11:49 PM
Banned

Thanx for the pics.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:52 AM
Banned

nameeri:
You're quite correct. The only problem with this setup is that although the car battery is 12V, the alternator and, thus, entire car power supply, is 13.8V-14V. If it was 12V the battery would never charge.

asiankidd and I have been talking about this online. To take care of any problems with voltage...especially those with stereo systems...you'd just hook up a Zener diode with 12V cutoff inline, wiring a capacitor in parallel to sustain 12V in large draw situations, and you're done! Then just run a 12 gauge wire back from the battery to the PS2+, ground it, and you're done.

Austin519
Old 02-21-2002, 04:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

GOT IT!!! whoo hoo....ps2 car ready is now in effect!!! thanks nameeri and austin!!!
Old 02-21-2002, 05:12 PM
Pro

Allright,

Hey Jon good to see that you got it all hooked up. Yeah, my expertise is certainly not in power circuits, im more of a digital domain guy myself. But anyways, it seems like Austin is truely a stereo and power whore Mad props to his skillz on that one. I knew that the zener diode regulates voltage drops, but man, thats got to be one phat cap you have there, at least a couple mili farads!! Anyways, happy ps2'ing
Old 02-21-2002, 05:51 PM
Banned

asiankidd:
Glad to hear it bud...I'll talk to you about it more online And listen to you brag!!!

nameeri:
"But anyways, it seems like Austin is truely a stereo and power whore Mad props to his skillz on that one. I knew that the zener diode regulates voltage drops, but man, thats got to be one phat cap you have there, at least a couple mili farads!! Anyways, happy ps2'ing"

Ha ha yeah nameeri I'm using a similar setup for my computer power supply design...though on a much larger scale

Austin519
Old 02-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Racer

Re: those using ps2 with their vdo in navi check this out!!!!

Thats garbage

i got bored tonight and was thinking of how ugly and tack it was to use those power inverter things so i modified my ps2 and took a cd player car adapter thing and modifed it so i can plug straight in 12 volts and skip the whole....extra crap!!! check it out

here is what the connection looks like

here is what the plug looks like i use the exisiting hole that all ps2 have..so it look like a regular ps2 but (CAR READY) hehehe

here is a pic of it pluged into the portable 12volt battery...i was too lazy to walk to the car so i just plug it in there

here is a pic of it on!!!

here is the whole thing

btw...it works both way...the home 110v plug still works too!!!
Old 02-22-2002, 05:33 PM
Banned

kk939:
Hm? What's garbage?

Austin519
Old 02-22-2002, 07:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Re: those using ps2 with their vdo in navi check this out!!!!

Originally posted by kk939
Thats garbage
um yeah sure...if you say so bud....you know just cus you said that i think imma go over and buy one of those ULTRA COOL DISPOSABLE DVD player that got repossessed......no time for you anymore, so hit the streets
Old 02-23-2002, 01:27 AM
Banned

asiankidd:
I thought he got flamed into next year? Wow...I guess not. I sure hope he doesn't start up again though

Austin519
Old 02-23-2002, 01:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

i wouldnt be surprised if he just disappeared....maybe a hand of god will just not let him post or maybe he might realize he is a dumbass and post somethink like how he likes penis between his tits? heheheh take it easy man

JON LERD
Old 02-23-2002, 02:20 AM
Banned

asiankidd:
I think you and I are the only ones that'll understand that Ha ha ha it sounds really bad without the context....

Austin519