There is plenty of room behind the grill for mounting stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 01:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is plenty of room behind the grill for mounting stuff

Just a bit of helpful info and a picture for those about to install an alarm upgrade. The engine bay is a bit tight to mount a siren and air horns (yep, i got them both wired to the alarm i installed, a Compustar 3000. with remote start too).
But, if you remove the front grill, which is held in with a few plastic clips on the top and bottom (once you remove the ones on the top, you will figure out how to get off the three on the bottom side of the grill - you cant get them from underneath the car, but you carefully slip an arm down in there from the top, and then CAREFULLY and GENTLY pulling the grill back just a little to get your arm in there and then use a 'shorty' flat screw driver to pop the pin out of each clip).
I actually got the entire air compressor for the air horns in there to, mounted off in the front to the right side (when viewed facing the car from the front). The bracket I made out of a piece of metal i picked up at the home center for about a buck. (see the inset in the picture below). It attaches to existing bolts you will find on the car over there too. When done right, the siren and air horns cannot be seen from the outside of the car, (they are located behind the bumper area) nor can an arm be stuck up from underneath to yank them out when the are tripped by the alarm! Only the remote radar head, that I mounted on a bracket near the hood latch, can just barely be seen through the grill, but thats only because it has to be able to "see" unobstructed down the road. Its black though, so its basically a non issue anyhow.

Good luck with your install.
Old 12-25-2001, 11:16 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THAnks!! i was looking for a place to mount my bigass Clifford horn..
Old 12-26-2001, 12:40 AM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
how much is ht compustar alarm w/ remote start
Old 12-26-2001, 08:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

I got my CompuStar from Fred Gallo who is another frequent visitor to this site. I think his name on the site is FredG. He was really great to work with and very helpful. He also has an Acura so he knows the car in and out. He works for WireMagic, a company that makes wiring diagrams on CDRom for car audio shops. His company is a distributor of CompuStar. Give him a call at 514-920-0245. I paid about $260 which is beyond a phenominal deal.
The active antenna on the new model adds even better range. I know my remote will work through 7 floors of steel and concrete at my office, AND thats in addition to my car being on the other wing of the building's parking garage. The range is PHENOMINAL! Dont even consider any other alarm/remote start combo. (i did use a different siren because it comes with one of those annoying 6 tone warblers, and I also opted to reuse my Clifford Omnisensor from my last car. The Compustar comes with a 2 stage sensor which may be ok too, but i chose to continue with the Omnisensor because in six years it never falsed, even in major thunderstorms, and with airhorns on my alarm, i cant afford too many false alarms at my condo development at 2am!!!)
Old 12-26-2001, 08:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

One update to my last email: He also sells the transponder bypass that you need to start the car with. Its the model PHK2 and i think i paid about $35 for it. It learns the code embedded in the ignition key so that you can start the car without the key. I know some folks are just buying a second key and taping near the steering column, but that defeats the whole point of the system since anyone can now steal the car.
Just so you know, the transponder works by disabling the fuel pump unless the correct key is inserted, or in the case of the PHK2, the correct code is sent to the module.