System installs by Best Buy/ Circuit City

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
System installs by Best Buy/ Circuit City

hey guys i just called these guys up and i asked them about installs the prices are ok but i was wondering if they did shitty installs or whatnot. i dont want my car to have a shitty install. i called some local installer from cleveland also i will be talking to them tomorrow. i was just wondering if the private shops are worth the extra cash.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:55 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would be better off going to a smaller shop that does only car installs. Go to a reputable shop rather than these big chains, it'll be worth it
Old 03-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by WlcTL
hey guys i just called these guys up and i asked them about installs the prices are ok but i was wondering if they did shitty installs or whatnot. i dont want my car to have a shitty install. i called some local installer from cleveland also i will be talking to them tomorrow. i was just wondering if the private shops are worth the extra cash.
If you can't do it yourself ask around to local friends. If you get the "right" install guy at BB or CC you will be ok (plus they are insured if they f**k up your car). But if u don't get the right guy they sometimes take short cuts or do a half ass job. If u get it done at a big box store, make them know that u know your car.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:58 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i would say don't even let those guys touch your car.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Instructor

hmm i guess i dont really trust thoes guys either but i am getting in touch with one of the local installers tomorrow i just moved to cleveland so i dont know whats around here and i go to a school where everyone is from another state themselves.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Cartoys have done 2 of my installs and they are good. Bear in mind, these guys are all Certified and would not be working there if not.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:13 AM
Banned

you left out car model in your sig.

and no, those guys at BB/CC round here all look like some min. wage Latino HS drop out, former burger flippers --- not touching my car !
Old 03-17-2006, 02:34 AM
Racer

hahaha... i work at a circuit city in socal(irvine) and all my shit was installed there becuase of my employe discount and stuff. but i mean they did a very good job. i dont know your experience with chain stores like BB or CC but i had a good one. the only thing that i have to complain about was the time it took for them to do it. 6 hrs.

but everything looks very clean and well done.

-420-
Old 03-17-2006, 02:50 AM
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 134 Posts
I have had the opoiste experiance as the dude above, I seem to recall my stereo being grounded to a peice of plastic under the dash (in the dude's defence it kinda looked like metal)

Also the stereo wasn't switched to turn off with the rest of the car. The wiring was chopped to hell and held together with electrical tape, no connectors. The Center consol was also hacked to bits (1976 bmw 2002). The manager offered to re due it, but I declined and did it myself.

Anywho, like anything with a big chain like that it varies from store to store. So it's probably to ask around localy weather the place does a good job or not.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stapler
Also the stereo wasn't switched to turn off with the rest of the car. The wiring was chopped to hell and held together with electrical tape, no connectors. The Center consol was also hacked to bits (1976 bmw 2002). The manager offered to re due it, but I declined and did it myself.
I brought a new M3 to BB for satellite radio installation. Wasn't my car and I didn't want to take responsibility for problems (or something breaking). They wired the power to the cig lighter which is NOT switched. So my friend is always killing his battery because he leaves the receiver on (in his defense it is a PAIN in the ass to turn it off everytime you get out of the car).

The last time he drained the battery so bad had to be replaced ($300)
Old 03-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Friend of mine had his car done at BB, first time they went to install his sub box, they drilled through his gas tank. But they are insured so they did fix it, but still, I would never let any chain store touch my car. He's speakers always blew every 4-6 months due to their crappy wiring, and eventually the sub box just came lose.

Go to a reputable local shop that specializes in it. It may cost you more, but the saying "You get what you pay for" rings true.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do not go there. Especially, with these cars, they seem to be more delicate than others. I had mine done by a private shop and they did a shitty job as well. It took me a while to find a very good reputable shop to do a good job.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:56 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you see a CC/BB run as fast as you can the other way

Ive heard of cars getting messed up at local shops too, but alot more at the chain stores. Don't get your work done at a shop unless you can see previous installs they have done. Also make sure they have experince working on nicer cars then what you have.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,465 Likes on 3,059 Posts
Originally Posted by brianlin87
i would say don't even let those guys touch your car.
I've seen nothing but problems from both those install shops, and have charged for people to COME BACK with a non-working install. They claim to have a warranty, but they usually don't honor their own work. Go to a smaller audio shop, they'll do a better job. Also, Best Buy claims they're not liable for breaking clips and such when installing. That's a if you ask me, I'm just telling you from what I've seen wth friends, I do all my own installs so i don't have personal experience, but I've seen plenty first hand
Old 03-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Whats Good? CL

i actually work as a saleman in car audio at best buy...and am getting my system installed topday as i type this...lol......im getting, components, rears, two mono amps, one four channel, and 2 12's...all type R alpine shyt......but anyways..........everything installed for 190$ and i kno the guy personally he knows his shyt......but yeah i agree...some people at local best buys and CC's are shyt.......but like everyones said....depends where ya go and if the "right"guy does it.. oooo and they also built me a custom amp rack for the 3 amps that looks sick for ***FREE*** i'll have pics soon
Old 03-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

I had a customer bring is Cadillac CTS to my shop to re&re his trunk back to stock. Had a Kicker Solo Baric 15" in the trunk, done at a Big Box Store(i will not mention names). Customer told me that the installer said 100% returnable to stock, no modifications made.

Looked at it:

26 Screws from the bottom of the tub from outside underneath the car screwed into the custom fibreglass bottom of the sub box. Took the sub out, another 20 something screws going through the bottom of the spare tire tub to the outside of the car. No insulation whatsover. The guy did, fibreglass right against the the metal of the spare tire well, couple layers of fibreglass, some dynamat, then those 20 something screws through it all, then poured just RESIN ontop of the screw heads about 2 inches thick. Cut all his oem panels, ie. trunk liner and so on. He didn't get his factory panels or anything back from the original install. Customer needed it reversed to return the lease vehicle.

The big box store head office of one of the departments sent this job to us to reverse cuz the guy was so pissed off.

Nothing we could do except chop his whole spare tire well out with a jig. Welded him a new spare tire well on, painted it, made him back factory trunk liner panels. Big Box Store paid us to redo it for them, $3600.00 and a very unhappy customer.

I work at an independant custom shop.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:01 AM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggplant-EX
Cartoys have done 2 of my installs and they are good. Bear in mind, these guys are all Certified and would not be working there if not.
certified what? mecp? that doesn't mean shit

hands on training > certification
i have a MECP, so you learn what resistor colors and ohms...still not good enough to start installing unless your getting real experience
Old 04-11-2006, 09:36 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
when i was still in college my roommate worked at the CC near Yorktown, NY during the summers and told me the installers used to take the cars out joyriding when the customers left.

i won't let BB touch my car because one time i went to buy a quick connect harness from them for my TL and they insisted no such thing existed. clearly it does because i got it from CC across the street. they don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground.

learn to do it yourself and take pride in the accomplishment. that's my most people marvel that i installed my own radio. makes me feel pretty good

SSTS
Old 04-11-2006, 10:57 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrandonClaps
certified what? mecp? that doesn't mean shit
Unfortunately, he's right. I helped write the test and study guide, but it won't make you know how to take cars apart.

I wish MECP meant something. Not.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:09 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't bring your car to BB or CC....I keep on hearing about horror stories on those stores from people subscribed to other automotive forums that I visit from time to time . Don't let them make a fool of you and let your car be a guinea pig!!
Old 04-12-2006, 02:13 AM
Burning Brakes

just say no
Old 04-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Instructor

BB did the door spearkers on my last TL and they did a good job... but anything more than that i wouldnt trust them to handle it.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Six, Six Bats.

Don't let them touch your car or computer!! They didn't even put shielding around my speaker terminals on my camaro and had me replace the head unit because they couldn't figure out where the distortion came from.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:47 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggplant-EX