Suggested aftermarket stereo for 99 TL w/Navi

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006 | 06:54 PM
10th Gear

Suggested aftermarket stereo for 99 TL w/Navi

Hi all, I originally posted this in the 2nd Gen TL forum, but fsttyms1 recommended I post it here, so here's the post slightly modified:

-----------------------------------

I think I'm finally ready to ditch the Bose stereo that came with the 99 TL, but being that I know almost nothing about car audio, I was hoping you guys could help me select a stereo that would be right for me.

I did some searching and came up with some stuff already. Originally, I had planned on replacing the speakers and such as well, and I know you'll all probably try and talk me into it, but I spoke with a friend today who is a car audio enthusiast and we calculated up a total with that option... that total was just too high. For now, at least, I'd like to just start with a new head unit.

So, that being said, I have just a few requirements:

1. Some kind of navi passthrough -- fsttyms1 pointed me to a post to show me how to do this, so strike this one.

2. MP3 playing capability -- preferrably the ability to play MP3s from DVDs (9.4gb on one disc? That would kick ass.)

3. Some kind of pass-through so I can plug in an MP3 Player or iPod.

Also, it would be great if I could use the steering wheel controls. I use those a lot.

Given all this, can anyone suggest a head unit that would do all the above or almost all the above? What kind of/where can I get a harness to plug it in and use the OEM stuff (including the sub)?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2006 | 01:40 PM
Not Asian

Well, they almost all play MP3's and have Ipod adapters. Any can bypass the navi, that's just the installers job. You will need to by a separate adapter to keep your steering wheel controls, check out Crutchfield.

I'd suggest Alpine or Eclipse.