Subwoofer frequency!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Subwoofer frequency!

I'm looking to get the Pioneer TS-W254F, a 10" Free Air Sub. I noticed that the frequency response is 18 - 2500Hz. Is it high because its a free air or does this mean it's not a true bass? Will such a wide range in frequency prevent a nice deep thump?

Thanks!!

-Rich
Old 08-20-2002, 04:58 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure it wasn't 250hz? You should definately use a crossover, I usually cross my subs at 200-250hz. A free air sub usually doesnt hit as low or as hard as a sealed or ported box, but they are designed to sound good, so if you want a deep hard bass, free air is not the way to go.

Chris
Old 08-20-2002, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by sssick
Are you sure it wasn't 250hz? You should definately use a crossover, I usually cross my subs at 200-250hz. A free air sub usually doesnt hit as low or as hard as a sealed or ported box, but they are designed to sound good, so if you want a deep hard bass, free air is not the way to go.

Chris
Positive, checked a few sites and the all spec out the sub to range from 18 - 2500Hz. I know I won't get the same result as a ported box, but I do want something that is better than stock. I see it this way, stock is a 9" powered by 100W amp. If i swap it out and put in a 10" 250W sub powered by a 250W amp the sound will definitely be an improvement!
Old 08-21-2002, 10:39 PM
Advanced

Don't worry about what a sub goes up to because you would use a crossover to cut the frequencies above 70-90Hz. By the way, most good 12" to 15" subs don't go down to 18Hz reliably so I wouldn't put much faith in Pioneer's numbers.

I agree with you on replacing the factory sub and amp. Do a search for the Kicker RMB8 as it has been pretty popular as a direct replacement. DrCookie was the first to do this mod and is the father of the RMB8 stock replacement.

There is actually a very recent post about randomwalk101 installing the RMB8. By the way, I have one for sale for $80 plus shipping. I bought my pair from Sounddomain.com.

Other alternatives that are low profile and will fit without removing the torsion bars include the Illusion Audio ND8 and Morel speakers.

David
Old 08-22-2002, 09:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SuperDave
Don't worry about what a sub goes up to because you would use a crossover to cut the frequencies above 70-90Hz. By the way, most good 12" to 15" subs don't go down to 18Hz reliably so I wouldn't put much faith in Pioneer's numbers.

I agree with you on replacing the factory sub and amp. Do a search for the Kicker RMB8 as it has been pretty popular as a direct replacement. DrCookie was the first to do this mod and is the father of the RMB8 stock replacement.

There is actually a very recent post about randomwalk101 installing the RMB8. By the way, I have one for sale for $80 plus shipping. I bought my pair from Sounddomain.com.

Other alternatives that are low profile and will fit without removing the torsion bars include the Illusion Audio ND8 and Morel speakers.

David
Well the RMB8 isn't a true sub, its a mid-range! For that reason I wanted to try the Pioneer! As for the torsion bars, I didn't remove them, I just removed the metal bar that runs just underneath the sub.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Rmarin2

I know what you are saying about the RMB8 since I bought it to be a midbass driver to go in my doors. However, it can also go fairly low and play like a sub although it is most efficient as a midbass driver. It is obvious to me that the Pioneer specs are inaccurate. Therefore, I would have a difficult time trusting the Pioneer. See my post to you in **********.com for more reasons I don't believe in their specs.

There are other freeair low-profile speakers to look at including Morel, Illusion Audio, DEI, and Blaupunkt. Unfortunately, most of these are somewhat expensive.

There was one person on this forum that I remember seeing use a Pioneer freeair driver. I would ask that person their opinion of the Pioneer freeair.

Going back to your original question. You would use a crossover, preferably adjustable to remove those high frequencies from the sub. The higher the sub plays, the more localized you will hear it. If you have a sub play below 80, you shouldn't be able to identify where it is coming from due to the frequency wavelength. However, above 80Hz, the sub will start to become localized and you will be able to tell it is playing from the back. An adjustable crossover allows you to dial in the sub where it plays smoothly with the front speakers.

Check some other forums for product advice such as Elitecaraudio.com, carsound.com, and sounddomain.com.

David