Stock Subwoofer replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Subwoofer replacement options

I'm interested in replacing the stock Bose sub with an aftermarket sub and amp.

I've been reading about the Kicker RMB8's, but am concerned that they are not true subs and are only midbass speakers.

I'm trying to find other free-air subs that would mount in the same location without too much modification, that are shallow-depth. How deep of a sub (mounting depth) can I put in the stock location? The Kicker RMB8 are 2&1/2 inches, but I've also found Kicker Composite C8's (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BEMNES6....asp?i=2063C84) that are 3&13/16" mounting depth.

How low can I go?

Cheers!

Jay
Old 03-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
there isnt 1 that will fit in with out major modification that really isnt a midbass. the rmb8 works well from what i have read, but if you want something that hits harder and louder you are either going to have to do some big modificationor put a box in your trunk.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You wont gain hardly any difference with adding a different sub and/or a new amp for it. You cant get much more bass out of a freeair sub, for a cabin our size. Search in the Audio section, there are lots of discussions about this.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Boomer SOONER

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=71790
Old 03-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Boomer SOONER

Hey you are the same guy...what did you not understand? You are asking the same question again?
Old 03-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Advanced

OU,

I guess my questions haven't been answered completely yet...

I'm not looking for a HUGE gain in bass - just looking for a cleaner implementation that that crappy Bose - and I'm not keen on giving up any trunk space or my passthrough.

I've been looking onto the Morel subwoofers, (http://www.morel.co.il/car/component...s/frameset.htm) which are shallow-mount and can be used as free-air subs too.

What I'm really trying to find out is "how shallow" must the replacement sub be to fit in the stock location? How much clearance is there?

Cheers!

Jay
Old 03-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Boomer SOONER

I dont know for sure. Your best bet would be to go measure it yourself - to be exact. If you read about it more, like I previously said, if you upgrade the sub and/or the amp, you may get a moderate improvement in sound by using a freeair system.

A sub really needs its own box to produce quality/correct bass - not just my opinion but scientific. How many models of freeair subs do you see? Not many and that is for a reason. I promise you that you dont have to take up hardley any trunk space with a sub and a box. Go to a reputable installer in your area and tell them your situation, they should be able to help.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Boomer SOONER

by the way, your ride looks great!!! I love all your mods, wish I could afford some of those!!!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Advanced

Thanks OU!!

Jay
Old 03-02-2004, 10:04 PM
Boomer SOONER

Could you tell alot of improvement with the headers, intake and pulleys? I really want to get some headers and/or pulleys sometime soon. Did you have any fitment problems with your headers?

BTW sorry to change topic....
Old 03-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Advanced

A *lot* of improvement - definitely. I drive this car like a freak, and it loves it! No fitment problems with the Stone Headers.

Cheers!

Jay
Old 03-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Pro

Your options are limited too the Kicker 8" or the Pioneer 10" Those are the only free-air subs that I know of. The 8" will fit with a custom bracket while the 10" will need to be modified to fit the 9" Blose sub location and cut the protecting bar to fit the Pioneer's mounting depth. If you search for both you should be able to find what you are looking for. Don't forget an Amp for the new sub.

You planning on new speakers too? If so don't forget to Bypass the EQ. Do a search if you are unfamiliar with this topic.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jay.k
OU,

I guess my questions haven't been answered completely yet...

I'm not looking for a HUGE gain in bass - just looking for a cleaner implementation that that crappy Bose - and I'm not keen on giving up any trunk space or my passthrough.

I've been looking onto the Morel subwoofers, (http://www.morel.co.il/car/component...s/frameset.htm) which are shallow-mount and can be used as free-air subs too.

What I'm really trying to find out is "how shallow" must the replacement sub be to fit in the stock location? How much clearance is there?

Cheers!

Jay
I also came across Morel during my research, especially HCW 8. After searching through the internet to look for vendors that sell the sub, I discovered not many stores carry it and it does not come cheap either. If you search further, there is Morel (Italy) and Morel (USA) and they don't carry the same products.
So, the price, the fitment and the sound quality. Those are the variables that you have to weight.

Just my $0.02.

Good Luck !!!
Old 03-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Advanced

Chet03TL-S,

I'll check out the Pioneer - thanks. I already have the Polk DX6 speakers in my doors....

Dr. Cookie,

I'm trying to locate a dealer that has stock on the HCW 8 or 10. I've sent an E-mail to every dealer that Morel lists on their website in the USA. BTW, Morel is in Israel and not Italy.

Cheers!

Jay
Old 03-18-2004, 03:04 PM
8th Gear

I hate it when a guy asks a question on here and gets "attacked" for not searching the forum. Listen not everybody on here has been with the forum from day one, so, naturally, they aren't going to remember if a given topic was discussed 1.4 years ago. Be helpful guys, most of us come on here for usefull information and not chat.

I am having the same problem. I want to replace my stock speakers and nothing else.

1) what sub can be used with the stock amp? (i.e a drop in)

2) what door speakers can be used?

Thank you kindly to whomsoever may offer help.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Advanced

1. The three choices that I've come across are in this thread: Kicker RMB8, Pioneer 10", and the Morel HCW8 or HCW10. I've met nobody who has any experience with the Morel line, except one dealer I was talking to on the phone. He said that the Morel speakers are awesome, either $300 (HCW8) or $350 (HCW10) shipped, and that I probably wouldn't notice a difference between one of them, and a Kicker RMB8 as a replacement for the Bose (as a free-air sub).

Unfortunately, NONE of these subs will work well with the stock amp - it's a piece of SH*T. If you're going to replace the sub, make sure to budget for a new sub amp too.

2. I replaced my door speakers with the Polk DX6's and the sound difference is significant! I purchased them from someone on this forum, and they had already performed the modifications to the speakers to take into account for the Bose EQ. If you do a search on the "Polk DX6" you will find all of the info you need here. Additionally I can send you the wiring diagram for the modifications, if you have trouble locating it here.

Unfortunately the Polk DX6 speakers are no longer manufactured, but they can be found on eBay sometimes.

Honestly, I believe any 6.5" door speakers would work better than the Bose speakers we have stock.

Cheers!

Jay
Old 03-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Got a *used* (3 months or so) RMB8 for sale....$50 plus $5 shipping.
This is a single one only..not a pair (you only need one though anyways).

I bought a pair back then for 176 plus shipping or so...slitted with another guy...anyways, email me if interested.

randomwalk101@yahoo.com
Old 03-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by randomwalk101
Got a *used* (3 months or so) RMB8 for sale....$50 plus $5 shipping.
This is a single one only..not a pair (you only need one though anyways).

I bought a pair back then for 176 plus shipping or so...slitted with another guy...anyways, email me if interested.

randomwalk101@yahoo.com
nevermind...just check...the price for both has dropped down to like $99....doesn't worth the trouble..just buy it new.

BTW, sucks that you can edit/delete the post..
Old 03-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Racer

so what do i need if i just want to get like a stronger sub?
Old 03-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont know how many times i have seen this topic come up and i have never once seen anyone talk about the illusion audio carbon series subwoofer..... it is shallow and will out perform the kicker and pioneer in a free air application.. I think that illusion audio has since went out of business but you can find them on the web and on ebay... also i have seen a guy at the car audio store have 1 10w7 in the stock location.. anything is possible it just depends on what type of mods you want to make... but check into illusion audio (www.illusionaudio.com) and i believe planet audio (www.planetaudiousa.com) also makes a woofer similar to the design of the stock bose (reverse motor design)... and OU Sig for your remark about a sub needing a box to perform well.. no a free air sub is not going to give you the same spl as a the same size sub in a properly tuned box but you can still get very good bass response out of a free air sub... oh and another i believe the way the bose free air woofer is designed is to use the trunk as its box so to say... just my $.02...