Stock sub alternative

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 10:45 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock sub alternative

Hi All

Has anybody considered using Kicker comp series or JL Audio IB4 series free air subs?

I know that lot of members in this forum choosing kicker RMB8 since its an "easy fit". But I also noticed member "rmarin2" successfully replacing stock sub with pioneer 10" free air sub.

So will it be allright if I decide to replace the stock sub with any one of the sub above?

And if you could, which one would u recomend?
Old 09-27-2002, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Stock sub alternative

Originally posted by ash3ktl
Hi All

Has anybody considered using Kicker comp series or JL Audio IB4 series free air subs?

I know that lot of members in this forum choosing kicker RMB8 since its an "easy fit". But I also noticed member "rmarin2" successfully replacing stock sub with pioneer 10" free air sub.

So will it be allright if I decide to replace the stock sub with any one of the sub above?

And if you could, which one would u recomend?
I think any sub you choose will be fine as long as you get a free air. I wanted something with a high RMS wattage as well as a true sub, not a mid-range. I think of all the subs I compared the Pioneer had the most power, 250W RMS @ 4-ohm. The only issue was that it has a broad freq response curve so I used a crossover at 80Hz to kill signals above that.

There really wasn't that much of a large selection of free air subs a few months ago when I was looking. I'm happy with the Pioneer, even though I had to modify the stock location to make it fit.

Good luck with your choice. If you need any more info feel free to drop a line!! rmarinls@nyc.rr.com

-Rich
Old 09-28-2002, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Thx Rich

I was just wondering if anyone had used / knows abt the Kicker F' series/Comp series OR JL Audio IB4 series subs. They all are free air or can be used as free air. As far as the wattage is concerned, i think they have lower wattage than the pioneer sub. But as u know, the stock sub is 1ohm and the stock amp is 100w. So the wattage delivered to he pioneer sub in your case will be 100W/4ohm=25w. So wont the sub be underpowered? Does your sub enough "thump"?
Old 09-28-2002, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i belive that any of those would be a good choice... but i am curious why no one has tried the illusion audio 10 free air.... i mean it is slim like the kicker but a true sub like the jl or pioneer..... but either way you go i would imagine that you would deffinately need an after market amp....
Old 09-29-2002, 11:59 AM
Advanced

I'm having hard time finding Illusions. Does anybody know where to find them?
Also the morel hcw10 has a 2.91" mounting depth.
and try this http://www.gspr.com/blau/odwp_flat_subwoofers.html
Wonder how is it?
Old 09-29-2002, 02:07 PM
Racer

stock set-up is 8" sub....
will a 10" fit?
Old 09-29-2002, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by paultl
stock set-up is 8" sub....
will a 10" fit?
Stock sub is a 9". 10" will fit with modifications!
Old 09-29-2002, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Thx Rich

I was just wondering if anyone had used / knows abt the Kicker F' series/Comp series OR JL Audio IB4 series subs. They all are free air or can be used as free air. As far as the wattage is concerned, i think they have lower wattage than the pioneer sub. But as u know, the stock sub is 1ohm and the stock amp is 100w. So the wattage delivered to he pioneer sub in your case will be 100W/4ohm=25w. So wont the sub be underpowered? Does your sub enough "thump"?
Well I'm not using the stock amp. I bypassed it and am using an old phoenix gold amp. I believe the amp is rated for at least 250W (it's really old model and can't find any info on it).
Old 09-29-2002, 08:13 PM
Advanced

Thats right! Stock sub is 9" and 10" sub fits with some modification. I know rmarin2 and t.diddy has successfully done it.
Here's the link
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=45542

rmarin2
Is it possible to remove the old amp and use the power and the line level sub signal to another amp? I really don't want to run cable from the battery. Thats little too much for me right now.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Thats right! Stock sub is 9" and 10" sub fits with some modification. I know rmarin2 and t.diddy has successfully done it.
Here's the link
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=45542

rmarin2
Is it possible to remove the old amp and use the power and the line level sub signal to another amp? I really don't want to run cable from the battery. Thats little too much for me right now.
Well I think its possible to use the power line that runs to the stock amp but I wouldn't recommend it. If you use that power and run it to a separate amp, its possible that the amp will draw more power than the wire can hold and end up causing the wire to burn, thus causing a fire. I highly recommend running at least 8 gauge wire from the battery to the new amp.

As for the line inputs, i tapped into the low inputs that run to the stock amp and ran it to my crossover and then outputted that signal into the amp.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:26 AM
Advanced

Thx Rich

I guess u r right. Looks like I'll have to run wire thru the battery anyway. One more question.

Lets say I want to drive this Pioneer free air sub (4Ohms) using a 2-channel amp in bridged configuration. So now each amp channel will see the load of 2Ohms. Will it works without any problem?
Old 10-01-2002, 01:57 PM
Pro

What is the model number of the amp?

Bryan

Originally posted by rmarin2

Well I'm not using the stock amp. I bypassed it and am using an old phoenix gold amp. I believe the amp is rated for at least 250W (it's really old model and can't find any info on it).
Old 10-03-2002, 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Thx Rich

I guess u r right. Looks like I'll have to run wire thru the battery anyway. One more question.

Lets say I want to drive this Pioneer free air sub (4Ohms) using a 2-channel amp in bridged configuration. So now each amp channel will see the load of 2Ohms. Will it works without any problem?
Well thats the config I'm using. Since there is only 1 channel for the low level sub inputs, I ran it to a crossover, boosted the signal and filter out signals above 80Hz and then ran that single channel to the new amp and out to the sub. So far I haven't had any problems. No hissing noises or what sounds like bad "juice". Although if I was to replace the amp with a better one I think the sound would be a tad cleaner.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by autophile1
What is the model number of the amp?

Bryan

Well the only number I can find on it is "SA1.0x" 2-channel amp by Phoenix Gold.

No other info on it.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

here is some info on that amp
http://www.phoenixgold.com/webfaq/Sapphire.htm

hey what sub are you pushing with this amp

i am considering buying one from ebay for 60 bux

to push a jl audio 15w0 rated at 150wrms 4ohm

right now im using a punch 40.2 and ithink its only rated at 40wrms 4ohm bridged

and want a little more power

l8r
Old 10-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by backwerd
here is some info on that amp
http://www.phoenixgold.com/webfaq/Sapphire.htm

hey what sub are you pushing with this amp

i am considering buying one from ebay for 60 bux

to push a jl audio 15w0 rated at 150wrms 4ohm

right now im using a punch 40.2 and ithink its only rated at 40wrms 4ohm bridged

and want a little more power

l8r

That amp is no longer in use. I've been using an MTX 302 which is rated at 300W RMS bridged w/ a 4ohm load. Im using a Pioneer 10" free-air sub with it. Check out sig or my website for more details.

-Rich
Old 10-19-2003, 10:15 AM
Racer

the power handling does not change. the coil is still going to handle as much power as the "non-freeair" brothers. only thing changes is the mechanical power handling, unless the company added a stiffer suspension or something.

as far a infinite-baffle subs go, there are many out there on the market.

RE XXX-series
Adire audio Brahma
Elemental design O-series
Image Dynamics IDMAX
Image Dynamics IDQ
JL audio W7
Kicker CompVR

etc...

A LOT more subs out there. depends how much you're willing to pay. out of those subs, the ED O-series is probably your best bet. sounds similar to the idmax in an IB setup. not to mention its only about $150+shipping. that a heck of a deal for a high quality sub. u don't regret it (as far as SQ and output). 17mm of xmax i believe. not too bad eh?