Stock Head Unit + New Speakers + New Amp. Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 06:34 PM

Post Stock Head Unit + New Speakers + New Amp. Possible?

Hi, I have asked around this forum and the answer is Stock Head Unit + New Speaker + New Amp is possible. And I know many of you guys do the same thing.

HOWEVER, I've just went to A&B Sound (local audio/video retailer) and they told me 02 TLS system is BOSE, and the only way to upgrade speakers is to change everything including head unit. Is that true? They said because the head unit lacks Amp Output. Making it impossible to add a new Amp + New speakers.

Can anybody help me on this? I'm really puzzled. I really hope it is possible because I like Acura's Head Unit (6disk in-dash) and changing it means more $$$

Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Use a Line Output Converter. It has 8 leads that you splice onto the 8 speaker leads of the Bose. The other side of the LOC has front & rear channel pre-amp outputs for RCA interconnect cables. That's how you connect an amp to the Bose. Then install spkrs and of course the spkr wires to the new amp.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.acura-tl.com/_borders/TL_in_Pacific_Grove.jpg" TARGET=_blank>1999 ACURA 3.2TL
</A>

List of Mods!
Old 06-12-2001, 12:12 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its amazing how people try to take u for a ride.. etc.
Old 06-12-2001, 12:32 AM

Thx a lot. I've been trying to explain to them. Obviously they know nothing so I better find a better dealer so they know their stuff :P

Another question, I want to keep my stock Sub. How do I connect them with my new amp and speakers? From deck? Or from new amp? Will they work? From a 4 channel amp which goes to the 4 speakers? Which goes to the sub?

Thx I know that's awful lot of questions. Thx again.

BTW where to buy a good pre-amp output? Prices? Websites? Brands? Thx

Originally posted by TL Daddy:
Use a Line Output Converter. It has 8 leads that you splice onto the 8 speaker leads of the Bose. The other side of the LOC has front & rear channel pre-amp outputs for RCA interconnect cables. That's how you connect an amp to the Bose. Then install spkrs and of course the spkr wires to the new amp.
<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by CK on June 12, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-12-2001, 01:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its **always** possible to use the speaker level output since that's what is going to the speaker. However line level output (pre-amp level) are preferred because they are cleaner. Some head units also offer higher voltage pre-outs which result in cleaner amplification.