Stock charging system question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 06:48 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock charging system question...

Can the stock charging system provide the necessary current for a JL 450/4 and a JL 1000/1?

I've already got a 1 farad cap but it's obvious that it makes very little difference based on what the JBL BP 1200.1 is pulling.

Every time the IDMAX hits, so do my lights. I think the stock alternator is 120amps.

Any suggestions concerning upgrading the system to withstand the current draw of these amps?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Intermediate

go with an optima red top battery
Old 08-11-2003, 11:26 PM
Drifting

yellow top would be better..dont know how much that would help tho...i have one but i dont know what thje benifits are....all i know is it can be fully drained and rechaeged withut damage...i dont think that would help your headlights....im no expert but from what i read....a rewound alternator or a second battery is the way to go...i have a second battery...the yellow top...i have no problems with dimming headlights...altho my system isnt that large..im just paranoid...im running a 1500bd btw

oh...and the only downside ive found to the battery is the extra weight
Old 08-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Racer

Originally posted by njtls
yellow top would be better..dont know how much that would help tho...i have one but i dont know what thje benifits are....all i know is it can be fully drained and rechaeged withut damage...i dont think that would help your headlights....im no expert but from what i read....a rewound alternator or a second battery is the way to go...i have a second battery...the yellow top...i have no problems with dimming headlights...altho my system isnt that large..im just paranoid...im running a 1500bd btw

oh...and the only downside ive found to the battery is the extra weight
How and where did you mount the second battery? I'm guessing in the trunk. Do you have details on how you did it?

I don't want to kill my alternator trying to feed my IDMAX.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Bozz,
Another option would be to have your alternater upgraded/rewound. It involves shipping the thing out and I'm not shure of the cost, but I know "Austin" (former A-TL member who is now active at A-world) had it done.

Head over there and do a search or just ask him. He's the Mod in the audio forum.

Iggy

p.s.- I've been monitoring your progress since the start and I must tell ya............nothing short of awesome!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 12:57 AM
Drifting

i think i remember it being quite expensive to get it rewound...i was gonna go with that option..i think i read the price on his cardomain page...
Old 08-13-2003, 05:34 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Iggy
Bozz,
Another option would be to have your alternater upgraded/rewound. It involves shipping the thing out and I'm not shure of the cost, but I know "Austin" (former A-TL member who is now active at A-world) had it done.

Head over there and do a search or just ask him. He's the Mod in the audio forum.

Iggy

p.s.- I've been monitoring your progress since the start and I must tell ya............nothing short of awesome!!!
My first thought was about upgrading the alternator but I'm going to try the battery route first. From reading about the Optima Yellow Tops, I think the D31 should do the trick since the stock alternator is already producing 120amps. Hell, that's what some people upgrade to!!

Thanks for the compliment. You and Southbound were instrumental in what I've accomplished so far!!

I'm still not through though. I've got this power issue to work out since my lights look like a friggin strobe light when the IDMAX is hitting.

I also realized that my front doors need the full dampening like yours were done. I used a test tone CD and the doors had more rattles/vibrations than a 55 Chevy!!

Sooo, now that I've drug this on. All I can say is stay tuned for the rest of the "fun"!

Thanks again,
Pete