Stock car alarm Vs. Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock car alarm Vs. Aftermarket

I realize that the stock car alarm is very basic, so how many of you have upgraded with a Viper etc.? Also, is there an alarm that can integrate into our cars system so that our seat memory feature works for 1 &2 settings?
Old 08-13-2003, 09:05 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I got the viper responder...the alarm with the remote that shows if your alarm is going off, or if a doors open or whatever. It is great...I never have to worry about my car because I can always see if anything is happening. Another thing that I like is that since I know if the alarm is going off, I am never the a**hole whos alarm is going off all night.

I didn't get it linked up to the seat settings...I don't know if you can do that or not.

I highly recommend the Viper....
Old 08-13-2003, 09:10 AM
Yeehaw

oh yeah it works from a half mile away too...so if you are in the mall or something (at the bar usually, in my case), you can see the status of your car...

I got the perimeter motion sensor too...so if you were to try to look in my windows up close (through the tint), it gives a warning beep. If you don't back up...alarm sounds.

My last car was stripped, and when the police dusted for prints they found a print from the side of a palm on the drivers window. Whoever robbed me had gone up to my car and put their hand on the glass to look in and check out what was inside. The perimeter alarm will make sure that can't happen again...
Old 08-13-2003, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I had a Viper. It was fine. Had remote start. The stock alarm isn't bad at all, you can add a few aftermarket shock sensors to it, & you get just as good protection as any other alarm. I have not heard of any alarm being able to keep the memory function. The Viper I had wasn't able to.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:39 AM

Can't the higher priced Vipers, like the Responder, be programed with the Bit-Writter software to assign settings like the seat memory to individual remotes? Has anyone checked it out?

Hey Fonzy, oh sorry I meant to say Beetroot, was
the proximity sensor extra, or did it come with the Responder package? Thanks. How about window roll-up?
Old 08-13-2003, 09:54 AM

I just installed a Viper 350 on my Jeep, a theif stole my radio and ripped up the dash. So I installed door actuators and unhooked the door lock tumbler linkages. I highly suspect that the theives used a blank or similar key to get into my Jeep, we'll now no key will work, hahahaha!!! I also installed that radar/prox. sensor. All of this for an ugly old Jeep. I think some one was planning on taking it to Mexico, since I have done alot of work on the drive train.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:55 AM

That's why I'm considering an alarm for my Acura, I don't want it getting vandalized as well. I guess may be add ons are the way to go, if the alarms won't interface with the seat memory feature, since there are two drivers on the Acura.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:55 AM
Yeehaw

Its vipers top of the line, so if any alarm can be programmed to do the seats, I am sure this one can.

The proximity sensor was 50 bucks extra I think. You can get remote start on it too...I didn't get that, but I am going to add it soon. It comes in the basic package, but they cut the price for me $100 bucks if I didn't get that.

You can add the window roll-up, but all the viper dealers have been quoting me prices of over $150 for it. You can buy the chip you need on eBay for about 30 bucks, but its not actually made by Viper so I am hesitant to do that.

I actually have to go to the shop today to have my proximity adjusted (shadows and wind are setting it off now...too sensitive). I will ask about the seat memory feature, and see whats the best price they can get for the windows....I will post tonight.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:01 AM

Cool Thanks for all the input Beetroot!!! Any one got the Viper with seat memory 1&2 working with the Viper remotes???
Old 08-13-2003, 11:27 AM
Advanced

There is no reason it can't be done. It would be just like pressing a button for trunk release, you just have to have an installer good enough to get into the seat controls.... I'm not sure what it would require, I've never done it, but I garauntee it's possible. If you find an installer you trust, get them to try and figure it out. I'll doubt you'll find many that have already done it.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:36 AM
boo

Beetroot

I got the same 2 way alarm u do. But most alarm shops were like the perimeter sensor from DEI was horrible. Always give off false alarms (when it rains). Also tint was a factor with the sensor as well. How is your experience with that??

Thanks
Old 08-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Yeehaw

hmm they never told me what brand the perimeter alarm is. i thought it was viper.

but yeah, mine gives me tons of false alarms. shadows from tree branches moving in the wind set it off. pretty much anything moving anywhere near my car sets it off. right now i have the car locked without the alarm on since its so damn sensitive. i'm taking it to the shop today to see if they can adjust it. my cars tinted so I am sure that adds to the problem.

hopefully the shop can tune it so its not so sensitive...i'll let you guys know what the shop says tonight.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:56 AM

DEI = parent to just about all alarms, Clifford, Viper etc. I think the proximity sensor from DEI is heat sensitive
Old 08-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Yeehaw

HEAT SENSITIVE!!?? I live in Arizona...its 116 degrees outside, no wonder my alarm is going off all the time...
Old 08-13-2003, 12:52 PM

I live in Ca. and the weathers been a little hot, anyhow I've noticed that the perimeter on my proximity sensor on my Jeep seems to have expanded. Or maybe I'm just crazy.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:34 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really doubt the seat control could be integrated with aftermarket alarm unless the remote control can imitate the signal from the stock control. I wired my CompuStar so that it uses stock control wires from the stock alarm (so I arm and disarm both alarms at the same time) and the seat control does not work which means it is control by the signal from stock remote control.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Advanced

The Alpine prox is the best on the market.. The DEI has a few advantages though, like the ability to role up the windows when the prox is triggered. The tint should keep the alarm less sensitive, but it will still go out the winsheild. As far as heat affecting the prox, it does, so does cold. It affects the range. The alpine is all digital, so heat does not affect it at all, and it does a great job with my tint. With the windows up, it goes out about 4 inches, with the windows down, about 15. I don't have any falsing issues. The only drawback to the Alpine Alarm is the fact that the siren isn't very loud, but a battery siren should be used anyway, and it also gives it a lot more output.

As far as integrating into the seat position controls, it's a matter of seeing what type of output the buttons give, what voltage and so on, and then just integrate into it (probably isolating the alarm away from it). It would just take getting to and testing a few wires to see if relays would be needed.... It's not about having the remote imitating the stock button, it's about having an accesory port acting as if the stock button was being used. Same way you would make a garage door opener work off of an alarm...
Old 08-13-2003, 08:08 PM

So the Alpine will roll up your windows if the proximity sensor is triggered? That's a very cool feature. I think I'll check out Alpine also. I guess if the alarm has a specific set of output wires, active only to each individual remote, you could trick the seats by hotwiring the seat memory buttons? I don't think that's possible though, to find an alarm with that setup.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:58 PM
Advanced

The alpine won't do the windows up, it's the DEI, and you have to have winodow roll up also installed. Any alarm acc. output can be programmed to work with the seat position.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:25 PM
Retired. Not available.

Kyle,
If you ever mess with the stock alarm, you would notice from the receiver, there are 4 outputs.
- Door lock
- door unlock
- trunk
- panic
ground any of these four wires, you get the designated result. The thing that I dont understand is there is no such thing as seat control output from the receiver. Therefore, I would have to say the receiver set the door unlock output to a different resistance when the unlock (seat control not link) button is pressed than when the unlock + seat control linked is pressed (like the way the audio control buttons on sterling wheel work).
This is the only logical guess that I could come up.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Why does what the stock alarm has matter? I assumed that we are talking about adding an aftermarket alarm.... I could have made an......out of myself, but I guess i missed that. I'm not concerned at all with what the factory does. It's a matter of taping into the seat position button, and hooking that up to an aftermarket alarm..... In which case grounding the factory alarm doesn't matter... Did I miss something big?
Old 08-15-2003, 06:51 AM
Retired. Not available.

I searched the HELM but didn't find anything that deals with seat positioning input. So the only thing left is from stock alarm. That's how I brought it in.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Advanced

Then why not just do directly into the button and solder on a connection to the board?
Old 08-15-2003, 12:59 PM

There is only thing that the stock alarm does that I would like the aftermarket one to do, to have one remote tied to memory 1 and the other to memory 2 of the seat setting. I'm not the only one who drives the car, unfortunately.

I know it's not a big deal, I just wanted to know if it was possible.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:17 PM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by KyleWatson
Then why not just do directly into the button and solder on a connection to the board?
I'll let someone who needs the feature to try it.