Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 06:18 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Upgrade

(Ok, slam me for etiquette if it is inappropriate to post a thread in more than one forum. I posted this one other place.) Hope you guys can help me as I'm confused!

I just picked up my new TSX w/ navi last night and I'm fired up! I've read a lot about possible stereo upgrade options. I'm ignorant when it comes to installing stereos, technical aspects, etc. But, I love music and clean sound! I wanted to see if anyone has any comments on a system I'm looking to have put in Friday. Thanks for any thoughts!

Kenwood Sirius package (KTCSR903)
Infiniti 6000CS (Front doors and dash tweeter)
Infiniti 6002I (rear doors)
Eclipse Amp (PA5422 - 85W x 4 RMS) OR
Eclipse Amp (EA3422 - 50W x 4 RMS)

Miscellaneous:
Blitzsafe interface for auxilliary input to stereo (sorry if I'm not saying this quite right)
Zero Noise connections?

The Eclipse amp will power all speakers except the 6 x 9's which I plan to keep stock for now and run off the stereo. The sat tuner will go in the sunglass holder (I love that for whoever came up with that idea!).

I'm struggling with saving a couple hundred bucks going with the smaller eclipse amp. All-in with installation, they are quoting me about $2,000 with the larger amp or $1,660 with the smaller amp.

Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch in advance.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:30 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
OK, I personally don't like your speakers, you could do a lot better on amps, and your system disign is wacked. But welcome to the board !: )

Seriously, I am totally unclear on what your system design intent is - but you asked for opinions.

You say that you like clean sound. The members are tired of me asking this, but oh, well - what is your reference for clean sound? Actual concerts? A nice home hifi? PC speakers? MP3 player headphones?

We all compare to a reference -what's yours?

BTW, with 2K installed, I could blow the doors off this thing - using my design principles, which may not work for you at all. That's why I ask...

I would seriously recommend you read through the threads here - lots o' good info - and I would go someplace like Soundings in Denver and hear a real good hifi. Your reference may change.

Here's a place to start: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...663#post265663

Best of luck!
Old 10-27-2004, 06:32 PM
VP Electricity

Oh, and Zero Noise connectors used to all be twisted pair. I like twisted pair and have a set of the lower-end Zero Noise Streetwires in my CR-V. But I wouldn't go very high in any RCA series... just get the twisted pair.

Edited to add: Oh, and see cfox1952's thread at the bottom ofthis page under "similar threads".
Old 10-27-2004, 08:41 PM
2004 TSX

Originally Posted by elduderino
You say that you like clean sound. The members are tired of me asking this, but oh, well - what is your reference for clean sound? Actual concerts? A nice home hifi? PC speakers? MP3 player headphones?

We all compare to a reference -what's yours?
Yes! this info need to be like posted under people's names, hehe with what car they own!

One of my references is Thiel speakers, at House of Stereo in Jacksonville...listened to Diana Krall..DAMN!!!

http://www.thielaudio.com/
http://www.houseofstereo.com/
Old 10-28-2004, 03:59 PM
VP Electricity

Hehe... I have Thiel speakers at home with Audio Research and old Counterpoint... and a Theta DAC.

Hey dodgemn, what's up? What have you decided?
Old 10-28-2004, 05:46 PM
3rd Gear

Man.. . Thought I could "slink" out of here without telling. Just kidding. I'm actually leaving the office now to drop the car off. Had it two days and I'm leaving it! To call a spade a spade, I'm not sure what the best option is, but I'm going with what I e-mailed to you here. I decided to stick with the larger eclipse amp. I will say that I listened to several speakers, amps, etc. and I do like the sound I heard from the Infinity speakers. It may not be the "best" system, but I think it will upgrade the sound significantly.

I'll let you all know how it sounds when its done. I really appreciate the comments and the recommendations. When I'm ready to add the sub, I'll probably come back and spend more time.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:12 PM
VP Electricity

Cool. Have a good time. Hoep things go well.

So, out of curiousity, what was the purpose of your question?
Old 10-31-2004, 07:48 AM
3rd Gear

Elduderino,

Thanks for your advice and comments. I've seen a number of your posts and you are clearly very knowledgeable and put a lot of thought into your replies. The forum is fortunate to have you! The purpose of my question was that I was researching on my own through reading in forums, other websites on what to look for in speakers, listening to speakers myself, etc. and I wanted to ask questions to gather more facts. I'll admit, I was really excited and could have waited longer, spent more time researching, etc. I was just very anxious to upgrade the stereo! Maybe if I decide to upgrade the bass later I'll be back and spend more time.

Oh yeah, I wanted to at least let everyone know what I thought of the upgrade. Everything was completed yesterday. I am ecstatic about the difference in sound quality! Elduderino asked what I was looking for in the upgrade and I knew what I wanted, but have a hard time articulating "clean sound". The best way I can explain it is that I can now hear much more separation in highs/lows, drums, etc. Although I agree that th stock system isn't bad, I still thought that things sounded "muddled". Everything just sounds very "crisp" now with no distortion. I love the Sirius as well! The installation in the sunglass holder is a great place. I think its been said before, but the Sirius does seem to have somewhat lower volume, but it isn't an issue for me as I have more than enough power/volume for me that I just turn up the system a little when necessary.

If there is any "downside", it is that by replacing all of the door speakers (and dashboard tweeters) these speakers probably overpower the 6x9's in the back. But honestly, I still think the system has enough bass (for me) and sounds tremendous.

Thanks again for everyones comments.