TL: Speakers. 1 set of comps. or 2 sets of coaxials

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speakers. 1 set of comps. or 2 sets of coaxials

Hi guys, i am going to be upgrading my speakers soon because the stock Bose system can only play so much. I am debating on a decent set of Components (t3 audio, with amazing reviews brand new for $120-140 depending if i buy more stuff from this guy.) Or for $70 i can buy 2 sets of alpine speakers type S. The comps are 6'' and the Alpines are 6.5'' all 4, also new. What do you guys think? Btw, i have read and read about the bose eq but i am still having trouble understanding on how to bypass it. Eg; if i change just the fronts with a component set, does that mean i only have to bypass a certain set of wires on the eq or does it mean that my front will sound good and ill loose my back completely? I understand the fact that the eq is pre-amp and that its located close to the A/C unit but thats about it.
Another question is, how will i go about wiring the comps if thats what i will get. Furthermore, I am planning to amp just the front, regardless of what i get.

Plz, plz explain in detail. Thanks in Advance guys.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, if you're planning on amping the fronts, components are the way to go. I haven't had rear speakers in almost a year and I won't run them again in my Acura. Front comps are the way to go.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd run T3... They always seem to be putting off shipping gear and always make a large number of claims, but never seem to actually have anything shipping out to customers. So if you can't physically see them before you buy, I wouldn't get your hopes up...
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Racer

Guy,lives about 20k from me, has 11 sets of these comps, 6 sets of 5.25s, and many coaxials. So im not really worried about that. In regards to the other stuff, can you help me out? I remember that you gave me good advice when i was hooking up my deck, and a few months later my subs as well.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Racer

Btw, ill give him a call talk to him, so if any one wants these (and if it is a problem getting them directly i can get them from him) and this guy will cut the price if i buy in bulk. Ill post model # later on.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Drifting

In that case, you should be fine. Unfortunately, I don't know squat about your car, just basic stuff to look at.

Do you have the stock deck or aftermarket? If you have aftermarket, it's really easy. Stock, you'll have to talk to someone else, since like I said, I don't know much about stuff with the stock amps/eq's...
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Racer

Aftermarket HU, mid level Alpine 9884. I mean ill figure out how to run the wire to the amp and all that, but my main issue is with the eq. Ill read over the DIY thread again but since last time i read it all i remember is a guy just gloating on how good his system sounded after he by-passed but little to no technical info lol.

Also for the speaker crossover:

1. Where should it be positioned? In the door? In the trunk? Im clueless lol.
2. The crossover has outputs for a.power, b. woofer. c. tweeter. From where and to where should i wire all of this?

Thanks Again!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Racer

Oh and amp is aftermarket as well, 4-channel but im bridging 2 channels for 1 of my subs (dont need the other one lol) Therefore, 2 channels left out for speakers.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Drifting

Good choice with the 9884, it's a nice solid deck. I had one in my car for awhile before I sold it to my buddy.

That being said, you won't need to worry about the EQ for the front speakers. Since the signal for them will come from the RCA's on the back of the hu, the factory EQ won't be factored in at all. Hell, I would even disconnect the front speaker wire connections between the hu harness and the car's harness, so you don't have to worry about anything shorting out.

For the speaker crossovers, you can put them wherever you want. If you've got space in the door, and a way to securely mount them, that's probably your best bet. It'll save you in speaker wire, which is nice. Personally, I ran my crossovers in the trunk, and I'm glad I did, now that I'm running active, so I need separate speaker wire for the tweeters and mids from the trunk.

The power for the crossover comes from the amp. I'd like a picture of the crossover first to confirm this, however, but assuming it's the same as every other crossover I've ever seen, this should wire to the amp. Then the woofer wires to the mid and the tweeter to the tweeter. Each should have a + and a - hookup, which attaches to the corresponding connection at either the amp, mid or tweet.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Racer

Man, i have no words lol. Detailed and precise explanation, all i ever wanted. Ill update the thread once i get the comps.

Again, thanks a bunch Matt.