Speaker Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 07:13 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speaker Question?

hey
iv been reading that the polk dx6's are being discontinued and were an easy upgrade. what other speakers are comparable if not better and are easy to install just like the dx6's?
Old 05-08-2002, 03:17 AM
Pro

I wish I knew!

They were definitely a good thing. The POLK EX series is the next closest thing in their lineup. I took a look at them... they look like they would fit the door cutout. They looked like they would have to have ONE hole drilled in them to fit the screw hole pattern of the stock TLS. They did seem to be a bit lighter in weight and only had a 3/4 inch tweeter as opposed to the full 1 inch tweeter that came with the DX6. However, it does rotate so that you can aim it. I have spoken to the factory and they claim it has been selling better than the DX6, so they discontinued the DX6 and now only make it in their component line. The msrp of the DX6 was $169.00 the EX365 has a msrp of $139.00. It would probably fit, by only having to drill one hole at the TOP of the speaker. If you check it out online, you can see at the top of the speaker where there is a notch for the hole, but it isn't actually drilled out.

The new GXR series are definitely inferior speakers, they only have a 1/2 inch tweeter.

There are LOTS of other higher priced coaxials that sound good in the store but sound like crap in the stock TLS due to the factory EQ. Also a lot of the better grade speakers require mods to the door frame cutout or a deeper custom spacer, or definitely need the factory EQ bypassed and an aftermarket amp to drive them. It's a bummer, I found the DX6 to be just right as a stock system upgrade with a bit of room to grow. I guess I'd try the EX365 if I had to go for something now...
ONE GOOD THING, I believe that the POLK EX365 does have a slightly better efficiency than the DX6. The EX is 92db/1watt/1meter... The DX was 90db/1watt/1meter. I don't think it could handle quite the power of the DX6, but it should be able to handle the stock power quite easily. SO GIVE IT A TRY AND GIVE US A REPORT!

Southbound
Old 05-08-2002, 08:50 AM
Advanced

Component???

What about the Polk Component 6 1/2"'s? I will be the first to admit that I know nothing about this stuff and I'm totally flying blind w/o radar here, but I love Polk. I have them in my house and I'd love to have them in my car.

The component speakers look pretty sweet, but outside of that, I really don't know how they would work in a swap with our stock Bose?

Lil help here???
Old 05-08-2002, 10:34 AM
Drifting

dis is a stupid question but when ordering the dx-6s online do they come in pairs or just 1 speaker? also do i need an amp to power da speakers orcan i just use the power form da hu?
thanx
Old 05-08-2002, 10:20 PM
Pro

The POLK components would probably sound really nice. The new DX component series (I forget the model number off of the top of my head) are essentially the same midrange and tweeter that came together as one sweet coaxial package in the sadly discontinued DX6. Their new component set up has from what I can tell the same midrange and tweeter along with a MUCH higher end (but separate) crossover network. The crossover has some level adjustments for the tweeter, etc. It might make things a lot easier to adjust to the factory EQ. It's just a matter of mounting the tweeter and crossover somewhere. If you're prepared to go through that exercise, I'm sure they would sound REALLY nice. The new POLK MOMO component series is supposed to be even better, but I know that it takes some serious door mods to make the midrange fit. It's quite large for a 6-1/2 inch. Somebody on this board put them in and said he had to make a 1 inch spacer and they still barely fit. He then had to put new door snaps on the door panel because it kept popping off. I'm sure the MOMOS sound nice, but they are a bit big for the stock door hole and door panel.

Since the DX6 combo coaxial has been discontinued, your only POLK option is the EX365 coaxial or the new DX component system. It's just a matter of how far you want to go with the mod routine.

The speakers are ALL sold as PAIRS. They will come shipped two speakers per box.

The POLKS are all pretty efficient. Therefore, you CAN drive them with the stock head unit. They were one of the few that you could get away doing that with. The stock EQ really boosts the high frequencies to try and make the cardboard BOSE produce any. BUT because they are silk dome tweeters they aren't TOO bright if you turn the treble down a bit. The new DX component series with the adjustable crossover, might just make the stock pre-emphasis problem even easier to deal with. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of drilling a hole in my door panel or sail panels for the tweeter mod. However, I'm sure it's worth it in the long run.

Hope this helps
Southbound
Old 05-09-2002, 02:37 PM
Drifting

thanx alot south!
btw how much does it usaully cost for installers to install?
thanks again
Old 05-09-2002, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Just wanted to say that I installed Focals in my TL front and back. It does take a little bit of modification, but I do feel that they are worth it. Sounds VERY nice...I should have done it sooner...I made 3/4" spacer for the fronts and 1" spacers for the rear with sound absorbing ring to make a good seal (rears were shaped a little weird)...Also, the focals were 6.5 components in the front and 6.5 coaxials in the rear. Am I forgetting anything? Hmmm...Well, I guess that's it, and I hope I helped a little.

Never heard the Polks that you are referring to, but from the other Polks that I have listened to, the Focals blew them away...All I need now is to add an amp for the speakers, and I bet they will crank out some nicea$$ tunes. I got my speakers from carstereotime.com REALLY cheap. Check em out. Free shipping and awesome prices...

Ummmm....that's it...if there are any questions, feel free to ask...I know I did, and I got some help, but not enough to make a trouble-free install...Had a lot of trial and error (especially on the spacers). So, I would like to help someone who is doing an install that requires some sort of spacer...Thanx to all those that helped, though...saved me some time...