Sound system at a budget... impossible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that the older mtx amps were very underrated and were great amps.. but you are pushing a sub that can take 1000w peak with an amp that pushes out 425w x1 @ 14.4v... so the amp is going to get very hot during extended lengths of play and the thermal protection circuitry is going to kick in and shut the amp down until it gets back into normal operation temp... also the type and size of box will play into how hard the amp has to work.. (ie small sealed box is going to take about twice as much power to push as a bigger ported enclosure will..)... are the gains all the way up.... and i am pretty sure that those speakers only came in dual 4ohms so you should have a 4 ohm load at your amp based on your wiring schematics.. so that would throw out the possiblity or your have a 2ohm load and the amp getting to hot for that purpose.. i still say that you need a bigger amp.. you never want to turn the gains up on your amp more than say 3/4... anything higher could result in a clipped or distorted output.. in my system i could have probably gotten away with using a jl 250/1 to push my 1 12w6v2 but then i would have had to turn the gain all the way up and would have ran into either heat problems or distortion so i opted to go with the bigger jl 500/1 that i only turn up about 1/2 way and the amp barely gets hot...

VINCENT... I am with I'm Batman on this one.. go to the store and audition speakers to find the one that is right for you.. alot of people have personal taste but that does not mean that you will be happy with the same speaker.. just remember that these speakers are going to be in your car and you are going to have to be happy with them.. you dont want to put something in your car that you are going to be disatisfied with and replace in a couple months.. trust me i am on my 3rd system in my tl and am finally happy with the sound.. onlything i want next is for pioneer to make some sort of music keg or mass media storage system..
Old 06-19-2004, 01:42 PM
My baby's daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vincent

So, what are some ways to get a good sounding subwoofer system without spending $600+? My parents won't help because they don't approve of loud music... :P
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showp...72&postcount=1

I just posted the above thread. There is a $900 amp on closeout, brand new, for $159. Get it

Upgrade your speakers if you haven't already, run the fronts off the amp, the rears off the head and the sub off the third channel. There are great deals on intermediate speakers that will beat the pants off the stock crapola. Remember, you can always replace them when you get a better job. Chances are, you'll get a newer TL! In that case, you will prbably take your sub and amp but leave the speakers and get better ones.

For the bass, get yourself a single Adire Shiva 12 inch subwoofer for $125 or an Alpine Type R for $108. Another great choice is the Infinity Perfect 12. around $150 each.

Build a box as someone suggested earlier on your thread.

Later on, you can add another sub and possibly a dedicated sub amp later if you need to, but this will be an awesome set up to start with. At that time you may want a 5 channel surround (or may get a TL that has one) and you'll be all set to amp the three front speakers.

Just be patient and watch for deals on qualified vendor websites.

http://www.SoundDomain.com
http://InfiniteCarAudio.com
http://www.crutchfield.com
Old 06-19-2004, 03:23 PM
Hippie Kill Team™

Series Resistance:

R=R1+R2...., where R is a resistance. So (2) 4ohm subs in series is a 8ohm load

Parallel Resistance:
1/R=1/R1+1/R2.... where R is a resistance, so (2) 4 ohm subs in parallel would be a 2 ohm load.

Ohm's law, learn it, love it.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:01 PM
Racer

I actualy need more help on speaker size... I herd that the size of the front speakers is important because if it's too big, you might have to do some cutting.

Thanks for the advice Rusky, but I'm flat broke now. What you said in the PM made a lot of sense though.