TL: second speaker in door

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
second speaker in door

has anyone here added a second speaker in the door, or in a non stock place? if so pics?
i dont mean tweeters, but a full sized speaker (im going for 6.5in comps)
Old 08-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Instructor

Why would you want to? When it comes to speakers, the fewer the better. Is it because you want more volume? Because one set properly powered should be able to get loud enough to cause hearing damage.

Or are you looking to add a midbass driver? I know on my 02 TL you would probably have to completely rebuild the door panel to fit another set of speakers in them. Your only other option would be to put the speaker in the kick panel. That would be an ideal location considering imaging cues in that frequency range are time based.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Kephart
Why would you want to? When it comes to speakers, the fewer the better. .
3 way>2 way
Old 08-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Racer

there is no room near the kick panels, esp since the hood switch is there.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
3 way>2 way
Ask any speaker engineer and they will tell you that a well designed 2-way speaker would be better. Ideally you want a single speaker on each side producing all ten octaves flat with no distortion. Unfortunately it is very difficult to achieve, so compromises must be made. And the more speakers added, the more compromises there are. The question you must ask is whether the gains outweigh the means.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by taintedplay
there is no room near the kick panels, esp since the hood switch is there.

I never said it was going to be easy.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:41 AM
Drifting

I'll take 3 way in a car any day over 2 way for one simple reason.

Midbass.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:25 AM
Instructor

Midbass.
I doubt you could find a 3-way set that has more midbass than the 2-way set in my car. 3-way systems in vehicles just aren't worth it IMO and for the very reason this thread was started. Where do you put it?
Old 08-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Midbass.
Get better speakers if you want more midbass or add more power. I know my Bravox 6.5's easily handle music down into the 30's. A buddy of mine's Rainbow 6.5" comps play down into the 40-50 hz range without much trouble.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mattastick
Get better speakers if you want more midbass or add more power. I know my Bravox 6.5's easily handle music down into the 30's. A buddy of mine's Rainbow 6.5" comps play down into the 40-50 hz range without much trouble.

I'm having a hard time believing you have a 6.5 that can play down to 30hz at a respectable volume.

I doubt you could find a 3-way set that has more midbass than the 2-way set in my car. 3-way systems in vehicles just aren't worth it IMO and for the very reason this thread was started. Where do you put it?
From a set? you're probably right...piecing raw drivers together is a whole diff ball game though.

As far as locations, that depends on the drivers.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm having a hard time believing you have a 6.5 that can play down to 30hz at a respectable volume.
Takes power to get there, but it does. I really need to take a vid of these mids playing, since nobody believes anything I say about them. Their FS is 90hz, according to Bravox, but they're also only rated at 100w rms yet I'm feeding them 2 channels of my RF P450.4 bridged to each speaker (rated 225w rms at 4 ohms). And yes, they'll play juicebox, which is argued to be between 37 and 39hz.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Instructor

piecing raw drivers together is a whole diff ball game though.
Why? Do you think that speaker manufacturers only have inferior speakers to select from for their product lines? Sure, mine isn't an off-the-shelf set. But the speakers and crossovers were still designed by a speaker manufacturer.

There are plenty of 2-way speaker sets available known to have great midbass response. The one's I'm most familiar with are Diamond Audio Hex Pro's and JL Audio's ZR series. And considering the midrange in my set was designed as a competitor for them, the Seas Lotus should have pretty good midbass as well.

As far as locations, that depends on the drivers.
I'd say that depends on the vehicle owner There is already a factory location for the midrange. So you just have to find a location for the tweeter which is not a huge issue due to it's small size. However also finding a third location for a larger driver is an issue and requires major modifications to achieve. Especially considering you don't want to separate the speakers too much. You may be willing to go through all the extra effort for this, but I'm not. Especially considering a 2-way set that does have the midbass capabilities would be ideal.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mattastick
Takes power to get there, but it does. I really need to take a vid of these mids playing, since nobody believes anything I say about them. Their FS is 90hz, according to Bravox, but they're also only rated at 100w rms yet I'm feeding them 2 channels of my RF P450.4 bridged to each speaker (rated 225w rms at 4 ohms). And yes, they'll play juicebox, which is argued to be between 37 and 39hz.
Cool.

Why? Do you think that speaker manufacturers only have inferior speakers to select from for their product lines? Sure, mine isn't an off-the-shelf set. But the speakers and crossovers were still designed by a speaker manufacturer.

There are plenty of 2-way speaker sets available known to have great midbass response. The one's I'm most familiar with are Diamond Audio Hex Pro's and JL Audio's ZR series. And considering the midrange in my set was designed as a competitor for them, the Seas Lotus should have pretty good midbass as well.

why spent 300+ on the hex or the jl's when i can piece together a sls 6 and matching full range for less?

Putting a pair of components in the door is usually the way to go in most situations, but when you have a 4000w sub stage, a pair of 6.5's isn't enough.

As far as bang for buck and value goes, i've found that piecing together raw drivers from madisound, usspeaker, or parts express has always been a better option when it comes to drivers.

I personally got tired of inefficient comp sets that didn't get loud until you threw gobs of power at them.

Before i got the b&c 10 and the horns i had a pair of sls 8's and tang bang w3's in the dash and while they were loud and sounded amazing, they weren't enough and got drowned out by the xcons.

Before that, i spent 500 on a pair of id xs 69's and fed them 300 each from a jl 600/4

did they sound good? hell yes...best comp set i've ever used

did they get loud? yes. did they get loud enough for my application? no.

before that was a pair of jbl 660gti's being fed 350 from an arc audio mini..

Same situation as above...

before that was 2 sets of id ctx 65's with 90 per from the arc audio mini.

SAME SITUATION
Old 08-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Instructor

why spent 300+ on the hex or the jl's when i can piece together a sls 6 and matching full range for less?
Because that's what they are; pieced together. You are going to have comb filtering, level, phase, and frequency issues unless you really know how to match the speakers together properly. And that requires a lot of time, knowledge, and expensive equipment to do.

Putting a pair of components in the door is usually the way to go in most situations, but when you have a 4000w sub stage, a pair of 6.5's isn't enough.
It will be enough to get to levels that will cause hearing damage. Maybe your hearing has been so damaged that you can't hear the problems within the pieced together system. Your post suggests this to be true. Or maybe you don't know what a really good set of speakers are supposed to sound like, so mediocrity is sufficient. That's why I recommend people audition high end properly set up stereos, especially high end home stereos, to get a reference point and know what to strive for.

As far as bang for buck and value goes, i've found that piecing together raw drivers from madisound, usspeaker, or parts express has always been a better option when it comes to drivers.
Nobody is talking about bang for buck and value. We are talking about the ideal way to get the best sound between a 2 way and 3 way. The fact remains; ideally you want to use as few speakers as possible. To use more creates compromises. The question is whether those compromises are worth it to the user.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Drifting

oh, the insults
Old 08-10-2010, 02:06 AM
Instructor

Not insults, observations. Heck, I used to praise my first stereo's as sounding good too until I listened to a reference system and realized their flaws.