MISC: "Scam"- navigation video interface devices NOT NEEDED.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 02:56 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
"Scam"- navigation video interface devices NOT NEEDED.

I've seen mention of several people talking about using video interface units like Navtool, AVelectronics, TVandNav2Go, Naviks etc.

I just wanted to let members know that some of our Acuras already have native video interface support. Although there may be no factory auxiliary video inputs, it doesn't mean it can't do it.

Unfortunately, I do not know which navi models have them for sure, but I know at least the 06-08 TSX DVD units do. We have been able to simply wire in a aux video plug into one of the empty connectors in the DVD unit for reverse camera applications. I'm pretty sure this was influenced by Honda Accord forums who have the same units with factory back up cam support. So clearly the capability ranges across the manufactured system, it's just not advertised or supported on other models.

Currently, I have my 07 tsx navi unit wired up to allow video input from 3 sources via a toggle switch.
-back up cam when in reverse
-front cam with switch
-aux video player with switch
Simple to do, and didn't buy any extra video interface.

The companies will suggest you need it, as they did with me, but the case is, Hondas/Acuras haven't needed them for years if my 07 had the capability already!

Just a heads up, don't waste your money unless you can't fabricate a wire harness yourself... And even then, a member on a TSX forum sells them for really cheap, $10-20 iirc.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:51 PM
2013 sh-awd adv

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aragrev7
I've seen mention of several people talking about using video interface units like Navtool, AVelectronics, TVandNav2Go, Naviks etc.

I just wanted to let members know that some of our Acuras already have native video interface support. Although there may be no factory auxiliary video inputs, it doesn't mean it can't do it.

Unfortunately, I do not know which navi models have them for sure, but I know at least the 06-08 TSX DVD units do. We have been able to simply wire in a aux video plug into one of the empty connectors in the DVD unit for reverse camera applications. I'm pretty sure this was influenced by Honda Accord forums who have the same units with factory back up cam support. So clearly the capability ranges across the manufactured system, it's just not advertised or supported on other models.

so lets see it...

Currently, I have my 07 tsx navi unit wired up to allow video input from 3 sources via a toggle switch.
-back up cam when in reverse
-front cam with switch
-aux video player with switch
Simple to do, and didn't buy any extra video interface.

The companies will suggest you need it, as they did with me, but the case is, Hondas/Acuras haven't needed them for years if my 07 had the capability already!

Just a heads up, don't waste your money unless you can't fabricate a wire harness yourself... And even then, a member on a TSX forum sells them for really cheap, $10-20 iirc.
so lets see it...
AVelectronics was cheap and easy. worked for 8 years in my car with no issues. http://www.nealgravatt.com/acura/index.htm

where is your DIY?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ngravatt
so lets see it... AVelectronics was cheap and easy. worked for 8 years in my car with no issues. 2002 Acura TL where is your DIY?
Oh, they absolutely work! They just duplicate what you already have from factory. Unfortunately my DIY is on the "other" TSX forum with my Build Thread. Let me see what I can do in the next day to bring it over. Have some papers due tonight and tomorrow! You can google "Martin acurahondatech" and you might get the the guy who can even make them "professionally" for you.
He's the one who let me in on the secret!

Last edited by aragrev7; 02-17-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:09 AM
Advanced

Here it is:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...a-install.html

Shows how to build the harness which is ONLY wiring to feed an aux video signal into the navi system. Not "interface" needed. Same/similar system on other Acura/Honda models.
The input is switched on with a 12v source. So you just tap into the reverse lighting power, or the acc/cig lighter power (on a switch). Either way, when power is sent into that 6pin port on the systems with DVD units, you get video!
I have back up cam, front cam, & aux video.

Sorry if you may have spent extra on a fancy switch
Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 PM
2013 sh-awd adv

Here it is:

Shows how to build the harness which is ONLY wiring to feed an aux video signal into the navi system. Not "interface" needed. Same/similar system on other Acura/Honda models.
The input is switched on with a 12v source. So you just tap into the reverse lighting power, or the acc/cig lighter power (on a switch). Either way, when power is sent into that 6pin port on the systems with DVD units, you get video!
I have back up cam, front cam, & aux video.

nice guide. im looking at the navtool right now for my 2013 TL. so im trying to figure out what will work best. thanks for sharing.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 PM
2013 sh-awd adv

Here it is:

that avelectronic switcher was a little more than $100 at the time and had two inputs. the actual switch i rigged up from radio shack was about $3. i didnt spend a lot then, so i hope to keep the cost down, but i want to do it right.

i like the NavTool "switch". just holding down the cancel button for 3 seconds, but i wonder how well it holds up. Anyone out there know??

i also completely replaced my audio system in 2002 TL and hope to use the factory system this time so i dont have to rig the steering wheel controls and the system voice. i still plan to add a sub to my factory system, but that appears to be pretty simple and another topic.

thanks again.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:36 AM
Advanced

Anything you need, wiring harnesses etc, hit up Martin @ acurahondatech1@gmail.com. He can build it up.
The following users liked this post:
ngravatt (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 06:16 PM
2013 sh-awd adv

Anything you need, wiring harnesses etc, hit up Martin @ acurahondatech1@gmail.com. He can build it up.
thanks again.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, I just joined Acurazine. I'm looking to install a rear view camera in my 2004 TL. I believe in your posting you said there's a member that make harnesses instead of the input for $20. I believe you have that member named as iirc. Is that right, and how would I contact him?

Thanks,

BigBrax
Old 02-21-2014, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigBrax
Hello, I just joined Acurazine. I'm looking to install a rear view camera in my 2004 TL. I believe in your posting you said there's a member that make harnesses instead of the input for $20. I believe you have that member named as iirc. Is that right, and how would I contact him? Thanks, BigBrax
"iirc" = if I recall correctly.
Member is CGP-TSX, but the thread shows how to make one really easily. You might have to PM him thru TSXclub.
The following users liked this post:
007MastaPieceTL (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome post. I just received a Naviks Interface but unfortunately before I found this info. I saw how the harness and jumper was made, but no further info on how you added the front cam and extra video input to the one female RCA that uses the rear cam/reverse setup. Can you pleases share? I think I will send back my Interface with only two inputs and just make this myself..