Sat. Radio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003 | 06:13 PM
Instructor

Sat. Radio Questions

HI, I have a few questions about installing satellite radio.

1.How do you remove the storage bin?
2.If the bin just pops out will I be able to reach where I need to plug the SNHOND3 in?
3.Is the bin solid? Will I need to drill a hole?
4.If I were to purchase the SNHOND3 and the XM ROADY is that all I need?
5.Does the ant. need to be mounted on the rear deck? I am just wondering if it could be mounted on the dash. I know it sounds ugly but I am just trying to leave options opened for myself.

I don't have the Navigation system.
I have read almost every post about this and even Pm'ed someone. Unfortunately I am impatient so to that person I PM'ed please understand.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 09-26-2003 | 09:31 PM
Advanced

Re: Sat. Radio Questions

1.How do you remove the storage bin?
Push on the insides of the bin and just pull out. It helps to cross your hands so that your right hand is pushing on the left inside and vice versa. Just keep pulling. Don't pull on the door.

2.If the bin just pops out will I be able to reach where I need to plug the SNHOND3 in?
Yes.

3.Is the bin solid? Will I need to drill a hole?
You will need to drill a hole.

4.If I were to purchase the SNHOND3 and the XM ROADY is that all I need?
It depends on what you want to do. If you don't have the Navi, then yes, this will give you XM radio through your radio's AUX input.

5.Does the ant. need to be mounted on the rear deck? I am just wondering if it could be mounted on the dash. I know it sounds ugly but I am just trying to leave options opened for myself.
I mounted mine on my back deck, next to the speakers, using double stick 3M tape. I don't have any problem with reception...

Check out the links in my sig.
Old 09-26-2003 | 09:48 PM
4th Gear

Hello Sheik28,
I am going thru the same scenario that you are planning to do.

1. To remove the storage bin, first put the car in neutral (AT). Then put both your fists into the bin and make a tight fist to grip both left and right interior sides. Gently pull straight out. My bin came out rather easily.
2. There is a wire attached to the rear of the bin which you will have to deal with. Acura recommends removing the lamp and taping up the connector. Also remove the clamp from the rear of the bin.
3. The bin is solid except for the small hole for the lamp. You will need to drill appropriate hole(s) for the cabling to the Roady.
4. I purchased the SNHOND3 adaptor and hooked it up. One of the connectors on the adaptor plugs into the bottom of the radio. This is accessable once you have the bin out of the way. It does work, but the sound level is low as noted in other postings. You will need to get DC power from the "ashtray" power receptacle. I have not yet done this step. Removal of the "ashtray bin" is somewhat tricky. I have copies of a document that I got from the Acura dealer here that shows how to remove the ashtray bin. This is part of the directions for installing the optional tape deck. Ask your salesperson or someone in Parts to get a copy for you. It is very helpful.
5. You can mount the antenna on the dash if you wish. I am going to mount mine on the rear deck and run the wires thru the center tunnel up to the front. That is a chore also.

I am anxiously awaiting for someone to let me know who is stocking the Roady. I have been experimenting with my Sky unit.
If you know a source for the Roady, please let me know.
Old 09-26-2003 | 10:48 PM
Instructor

Thanks to both of you!! And if I do cvome across the Roady for sale I will be sure to post it!!
Old 09-27-2003 | 01:38 AM
Senior ATCer

I picked up my Roady last week at Circuit City. They seem to be the only one that has the Roady right now. I don't work for CC just passing on info. The Roady has a neat feature that lets you adjust the audio level up and down. I was able to get the level very near to the CD level using this feature. The Roady antenna is magnetized (sp?) and sticks to the package shelf pretty well. It won't stick to the dash. I ran my power from the power recepticle in the console under the armrest and ran the wire under the left side of the console up to and under the dash. I had problems with getting the bin back into the dash because the audio wire to the SHOND3 was too thick. I ended up drilling a hole in the back of the bin instead of the bottom so the the bin could be reinstalled. If you have more patience than me you might be able to get the bin in with a hole on the bottom.
Old 09-27-2003 | 06:40 AM
Instructor

Thanks Bama! And thanks for the reply in PM also.
Old 09-27-2003 | 12:58 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by BamaTSX
I ran my power from the power recepticle in the console under the armrest and ran the wire under the left side of the console up to and under the dash.
This is probably a dumb question but, is running a power line necessary? Or, does the roady get it's juice through the radio plug?
Old 09-27-2003 | 10:28 PM
Senior ATCer

The Roady gets it's power from a power adapter.
Old 09-28-2003 | 10:46 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

Not interested in a Commercial free Sirius system?
Old 09-28-2003 | 11:53 AM
Senior ATCer

Before I bought the Roady I went to the XM and Sirius enthusiast web sites. I wanted to read about the pros and cons of each Company. The Sirius people seemed to complain a lot about repeat playlists. The XM people complained about occasional loss of signal. I checked out what was available from both companies and listened to the samples on the websites. XM to me had a more eclectic line up. So I choose XM. If it doesn't pan out I can always sell the Roady and go with Sirius.
Old 09-28-2003 | 08:13 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by MrChad
Not interested in a Commercial free Sirius system?
Yes I am. It was just that the roady was what I had seen someone (Bama) do. I actuallly forgot about your set up MrChad. I probably didn't even think of your set up because it was done to your Accord and your wife(gf?)'s car.

I know that sirius is commercial free. There was an article in the New York Times, I think it was last week comparing the two.

My main concern wasthe wiring, not the particular system.

Although the Roady display seems to match the rest of the dash perfectly though, I will definately check out Sirius' stuff now.
Old 09-28-2003 | 11:01 PM
Senior ATCer

Actually I think it was Packrat that started the whole Sat Radio topic. He has a nice Sirius setup as I recall.
Old 10-02-2003 | 12:12 AM
Advanced

... Sirius with a Kenwood H2A looks AWESOME - almost like it was meant to be in that little bin.
Old 10-02-2003 | 06:33 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by MJ-bos
... Sirius with a Kenwood H2A looks AWESOME - almost like it was meant to be in that little bin.
Do you have it installed? Can you post some pics? Can that be hooked up without the docking station? Does it still look good even though those red buttons would look better in a BMW or Audi?
Old 10-02-2003 | 09:35 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by sheik28
Do you have it installed? Can you post some pics? Can that be hooked up without the docking station? Does it still look good even though those red buttons would look better in a BMW or Audi?
I have pictures of this - follow the link in my sig, where it says "Sat radio installation"...
Old 10-02-2003 | 04:03 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by mojo
I have pictures of this - follow the link in my sig, where it says "Sat radio installation"...
Yes you do!!! I forgot and as soon as I saw your post I realized that that was where the question arose in my head about the red lights with the TSX.