MISC: Is it safe to play 2 sources of Audio thru the same speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it safe to play 2 sources of Audio thru the same speakers?

I tried a google search but could not get a definitive answer, I found out it is possible.

But is it safe?

With the speakers receiving an amplified signal from both sources?

Its not like I will PURPOSELY play both sources at High Volume at the same time. I plan on turning off one of the sources when the other is in use. But what if I accidently forget to turn one off when I turn on the other?

Im thinking as long as the volume of both sources isn't high enough to be overworking the speakers it should be fine. Right? Does that make sense? Or does it not matter?

If a speaker is receiving a signal from one source (lets say 60 RMS) and then it suddenly received a signal from another source (say 20 RMS) is that speaker now receiving 80 RMS?

If so, then I guess as long as the speakers used can handle the max peak input it is receiving, it should be fine. Right? Should I be considering anything else?

My Plan:

Im going to install new speakers, as im doing that, can I connect the stock speaker wires (using the honda speaker adapters) as well as, new wire that I will run to the trunk and connect to my 4 Channel amp, which will be connected to my SRI-6 Line driver with an AUX input, which will be receiving audio signal via its AUX input ONLY (Not connected to Headunit)

So I will use the 4 Channel amp only when im listening to music through the SRI's Auxilary input (Headunit is off in this scenario).
I can then switch to the speaker level input which will have nothing connected to it to turn it off. It comes with a remote to switch between the two inputs.

When I use my Head unit to play AM/FM radio, a CD, or listen to the GPS's voice it will also play out of the speakers that will still be connected through the stock wiring. (SRI will be off in this scenario)

Does this sound feasible?
Old 05-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Just saw this post and I hope you did not try this. Never ever connect the outputs of two audio amps together especially if one is high powered and the other is not. To put it simple, in order for an amp to drive a speaker efficiently the amp must have a very low (under 1 ohm) output impedance. Must amps are even lower than this. If both amps are on they will both be trying to source current into the load they see. In your case the factory amp will lose.
Lastly, the HU being off does not shut down the factory amp, it’s on whenever the ACC is on.
Jeff
Old 06-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input Mercman. Luckily, I decided against it in the end.