running speaker wire into front door.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008 | 02:01 PM
www.grounded4life.org

running speaker wire into front door.

im upgrading my front n rear speakers to components. can someone tell me how to run the speaker wire to the front door i heard its really hard to run it throught the front boot. thanx...
Old 01-30-2008 | 10:06 AM
www.grounded4life.org

Bump
Old 01-30-2008 | 10:35 AM
Advanced

I just used the stock wire in my install, so I can't really help you with running new wire. The FAQs section might be useful. What I did was buy the honda speaker clips, attached them to my speakers, then just clipped into the stock wire and spliced it on the other end.
Old 01-30-2008 | 12:16 PM
www.grounded4life.org

Originally Posted by jay427
I just used the stock wire in my install, so I can't really help you with running new wire. The FAQs section might be useful. What I did was buy the honda speaker clips, attached them to my speakers, then just clipped into the stock wire and spliced it on the other end.

thats what the guy that did all my other stereo stuff said to do but will it effect the sound quality....
Old 01-30-2008 | 12:46 PM
Advanced

I'm not sure really how much it will effect sound quality. I agree with you that there will be some sort of difference, but are you really going to notice it? If you're doing competitions, then by all means, rip the car apart, but if not, it might be easier to go this way. I did it in my TSX and it sounds mint. There are people here though that can help you run this cable though, I'm sure of it. Best of luck!!
Old 01-30-2008 | 12:50 PM
Instructor

I sprayed the end of my aftermarket speaker wires with PAM, and that helped tremendously in getting it to feed through the rubber boot in the door jam. It reduced a lot of the friction between the aftermarket speaker wire and the insulation jackets of the other wires in the rubber boot.
Old 01-30-2008 | 01:33 PM
www.grounded4life.org

Originally Posted by si1point6
I sprayed the end of my aftermarket speaker wires with PAM, and that helped tremendously in getting it to feed through the rubber boot in the door jam. It reduced a lot of the friction between the aftermarket speaker wire and the insulation jackets of the other wires in the rubber boot.

How did you run the aftermarket wires throught the boot. did you snake a close hanger throught the boot and then tape the aftermarket wires to it and pull it back through the boot.
Old 01-30-2008 | 02:19 PM
Instructor

I did not have to resort to using a wire hanger. The Monster Cable I used comes with a a protective jacket over the two speaker wires and looks something like this:

The jacket is stiff enough that I was able to run it through the boot with the help of the pam spray. To ease installation, you can unseat the rubber boot from the door and the cabin (be very careful not to tear it) so that you help the jacketed wires through with some neddle nose pliers. Unseating the boot also helps give a straighter path for the jacketed wire to run though from door to cabin (or cabin to door, depending on which way you run the cable).

Also, the front driver's door is much easier to do than the front passenger door. The hole that the speaker wire runs though from the front passenger's rubber boot into the cabin is buried deep in the underside of the dash. I think it took me about 30 min to finally get a grasp of the wire I ran through. There seems to be some obstruction right after that hole on the dash side that prevented the cable from feeding easily into the passenger foot well.
Old 01-30-2008 | 02:55 PM
www.grounded4life.org

Originally Posted by si1point6
I did not have to resort to using a wire hanger. The Monster Cable I used comes with a a protective jacket over the two speaker wires and looks something like this:

The jacket is stiff enough that I was able to run it through the boot with the help of the pam spray. To ease installation, you can unseat the rubber boot from the door and the cabin (be very careful not to tear it) so that you help the jacketed wires through with some neddle nose pliers. Unseating the boot also helps give a straighter path for the jacketed wire to run though from door to cabin (or cabin to door, depending on which way you run the cable).

Also, the front driver's door is much easier to do than the front passenger door. The hole that the speaker wire runs though from the front passenger's rubber boot into the cabin is buried deep in the underside of the dash. I think it took me about 30 min to finally get a grasp of the wire I ran through. There seems to be some obstruction right after that hole on the dash side that prevented the cable from feeding easily into the passenger foot well.

ok thanx ill try later and try and find the boot.
Old 12-10-2008 | 07:48 PM
10th Gear

Do you have to use connectors to connect the aftermarket speaker wires from the speakers to the deck or is there a alternate way to do it that will sound better?
Old 12-10-2008 | 08:04 PM
Drifting

you can use connectors, and they sound just fine... That's what I did in my front doors. However, on my rear components (rear deck), I soldered the speaker wire directly to the speaker... it's up to you, but for me it was the fact that I would probably take the door panel off, and now I have 2 places I can split the wires to pull the panel, where as the rear deck speakers are pretty permanent...