Routing new speaker wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 10:32 AM
RickRoush03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Routing new speaker wire

Hello, i am a newbie to this forum, but not to hondas/acura's. Had honda's through highschool and college. Parents are on like their millionth honda and acura, they love'em. Just picked up a 2002 Acura TL Type S, had 112k now has 117k.

My question is this, i bought an entire system, alpine hu, 5.25 polm momo comoponet for all the doors, 10" sub and box, and a kicker 700.5 amp to run the whole thing. I am rewiring the car for the speakers. How in the heck do you get the wire from inside the door into the passanger compartment. I started with the RF door and am stuck, there is like no room behind the dash, and following the black groumut from the door to the car, i cant see where is ends up behind the dash. Anyone have any brilliant ideas about rewiring the car, really don't want to take apart the entire interior like i have seen on the board?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd try fishing something through the grommet first and see if u can't hear or see where it's coming out..

Originally Posted by RickRoush03
Hello, i am a newbie to this forum, but not to hondas/acura's. Had honda's through highschool and college. Parents are on like their millionth honda and acura, they love'em. Just picked up a 2002 Acura TL Type S, had 112k now has 117k.

My question is this, i bought an entire system, alpine hu, 5.25 polm momo comoponet for all the doors, 10" sub and box, and a kicker 700.5 amp to run the whole thing. I am rewiring the car for the speakers. How in the heck do you get the wire from inside the door into the passanger compartment. I started with the RF door and am stuck, there is like no room behind the dash, and following the black groumut from the door to the car, i cant see where is ends up behind the dash. Anyone have any brilliant ideas about rewiring the car, really don't want to take apart the entire interior like i have seen on the board?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 AM
6th Gear

Well I can confirm that trying to route new wire to the passenger side of a CL is a nightmare. I was able to get a large zip tie through the rubber boot from the door side but once in the car the zip tie gets lost behind a double wall of sheet metal with no access that I can see. I tried drilling where I thought I would see the zip tie and no go there either. Has ANYBODY ever really accomplished this feat? I can find no evidence via web searches. Thanks ....
Old 10-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RickRoush03
Anyone have any brilliant ideas about rewiring the car, really don't want to take apart the entire interior like i have seen on the board?
You could take it to a professional and pay them to do it.

Originally Posted by cmchenry
Has ANYBODY ever really accomplished this feat? I can find no evidence via web searches. Thanks ....
I have. I ran my speaker and window module wires into the doors without a problem. It's all about having the right tools and knowing what you are doing.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Steven Kephart
You could take it to a professional and pay them to do it.

I have. I ran my speaker and window module wires into the doors without a problem. It's all about having the right tools and knowing what you are doing.
Really helpful thanks.

Looking for input from DIYers, not smug pro installers.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Nicely done new guy..

Unfortunately I've never ran speaker wires through the CL doors and so I'm no help at all.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Hopefully someone has answers on this, i soon would like to upgrade my system myself.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I haven't run speaker wire in a 2nd gen CL, but from my experience with a 1st gen, just get a ~3' long snake or coat hanger (snakes are better, but coat hangers work in a pinch) and feed that through. Start from the inside of the car, and work your way outwards. Tape the wire onto the end of the snake inside the door, and pull it back through. It's really not that hard. You're probably going to cut your hands a bit, but that's the fun of working up inside a dashboard. It's time consuming, but just sit there and do it. Yes it sucks, but it's either that or pay someone a ton of money to do it... Your choice...
Old 10-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hahaha when i ran my speaker wire to doors i took off my doors made it so much easier looked funny as hell doing so in a sub division
Old 10-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by on1wheel01
Hahaha when i ran my speaker wire to doors i took off my doors made it so much easier looked funny as hell doing so in a sub division
I did the same thing... Made life much much much easier...
Old 10-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cmchenry
Really helpful thanks.

Looking for input from DIYers, not smug pro installers.

Hey, you asked for evidence whether it's been done and I gave it to you. There is no need to be a prick. I'm sorry I didn't give you the answer you were looking for. There is no secret solution that can be spelled out on the forums that will make it easy. That's why you had trouble finding input from DIYers. It's going to take some effort on your part and if you aren't willing to take the time to figure it out yourself, then the only solution is to pay someone to do it. I doubt you will find someone to do it for you for free.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

ok ok let's keep it reasonable.

We're all on the same team here so play nice..

Steven, I think all he's asking for is tricks/tips or specialized tools from anyone that has successfully ran wires through a door.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Your just looking to run the wire to the other side right? down by the gas pedal you'll see there is a hole going from drivers side to passenger side. take a wire coat hanger bend it out until it is straight tie the wires to it and push it through the hole but dont shove it dont want to damage anything down there i did that when setting up my neons
Old 12-28-2009, 07:44 AM
6th Gear

I never checked back on this thread after getting the initial non-helpful reply but thanks all that tried to help. Ironically I did end up taking Steven's advice but it only cost me $50 at local Denver Car Toys. I was doing a complete high end audio installation and $50 was well worth it to get beyond this obstacle. I asked the installer how tough it was and he said "not easy" on the passenger side, as I suspected. The door is not the problem, it is once you get through the boot into the cabin. the snake has to be pushed much higher and deeper into the dash area than I was trying to go. Anyway, just wanted to offer the follow up. Thanks all ... even you Steven.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,465 Likes on 3,059 Posts
running wires through our doors is a pain, just gotta take your time, and do a lot of contortioning to get underneath the dash
Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
I just did this in my 3G TL and it was NOT easy...although my issue was getting the speaker wire past the plug on the door side not the firewall side. Made it work though so so far so good.