RMB8 kicker installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up RMB8 kicker installed!!

First of all, I'd like to thank Dr.Cookie for his "invention" of this mod. Secondly, I'd like to give mad props to SilverKnight (CL forum) for helping me out on the amp installation. SilverKnight is probably one of the most thorough, super duper detail (sometimes too anal) installer I've ever met. You should open a shop and make millions!!

Back to the RMB8 sub. With a 1/2" spacer, it fits PPPPPERFECTLY in the stock location. The sub is 175watts..i'm not sure how much stock sub is rated but damn, there is NO bass on the stock comparing to this Kicker. It sounds soooo nice...there is definate "boom boom" and vibrate your seat is a tad...man it's perfect for vocal/pop songs. I've also been driving around with a JL 12w3 in a custom box in the trunk while waiting for the Kicker. The JL is too boomy and gives me headache after 10 mins of driving...JL probably great for hip hop/super loud music but soft rocks/pop, it doesn't sound quite right for me (again, it's me...you might think differently). I'm currently pushing this Kicker with Alpine T-502 amp. that I got cheap from a local guy.

With the Polk DX6 (and all resistor/term mod from SB) on all four doors and with the Kicker RMB8 sub, I'm very happy now. Total mod for this audio system from stock is around $320. This kicker is so pretty looking...too bad can't see it with the stock sub grill installed...
Old 07-30-2002, 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey dude, glad that you like the sub. The sub does not hit as hard as the one a sealed box but it provides enough bass for the enjoyment.

I actually had the Kicker sub hit the bottom a few times to see how far the limit was.

Anyway, don't forget to seal up the two holes beneath the center break light. I did it a few months ago and the bass actually sounds better.

Enjoy your new upgrade !!!

Cheers !!!
Old 07-30-2002, 11:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by drcookie

Anyway, don't forget to seal up the two holes beneath the center break light. I did it a few months ago and the bass actually sounds better.

Enjoy your new upgrade !!!

Cheers !!!
Sealed with dynamat extreme Thx again!!
Old 07-31-2002, 11:23 AM
Racer

How long did it take you to do the install?
total time?
Old 07-31-2002, 05:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: reply

Originally posted by fred3113
How long did it take you to do the install?
total time?
Well, the amount of time is relative from one person to another...I was kind of careful with wiring and taking things/ putting them back so I really took my time. The speaker install isn't tough at all..basically, open the trunk, unscrew the two bulbs, unhook the factory sub wire. Then inside the car, take out the metal loop that is being held by the 12mm bolt. Pull the child seat loop cover off then the sub grill itself. Take out the four 8mm screws that hold the sub and pull the sub out. Put the 1/2 MDF spacer in and put the new kicker RMB8 in...bolt everything down and put the grill back along with everything you have taken out before...put the two brake bulbs back in. That should be around 30 mins MAX (minus the however long it takes you to fabricate that spacer). The guy I am selling the second RMB8 to won't have to worry about making a spacer because I will make one for him since a friend of mine has a tool to make it in 5 secs

As for the amp, it will take a little longer since you will have to run the power wire, take out the back seat and tap into the stock sub low-level output line and remote line. I won't go into this since tons of posts (instruction) on how to do this is available already if you just do a simple search. But time wise, it should take about an hour or so. So the whole thing should take you around 1 1/2 hrs if you're anal like myself
Old 08-01-2002, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Do you still have the second Sub up for sale?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2002, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Kent, probably not...I promised a guy that I would keep the sub for him...but if he bails, I'll probably will keep this one as a spare for myself now since the sub is sooo nice and cheap When I'm done with this TL, I can always pull the sub out and use it as mid-bass for my next project. These speaker are nice..u have to see it, hear it to believe
Old 08-02-2002, 12:59 AM
Advanced

Kent,

I actually have 2 new in box Kicker RMB8 for sale. I bought them to go in the doors because I couldn't find what I really wanted, which was the Illusion Audio ND-8s. I got lucky and found a pair of ND-8s on ebay last week and now I have what I originally wanted. I am looking for about $80 a piece or $150 for both plus shipping. I originally bought them from SoundDomain about 3 months ago and I still have the receipt for them. Email me if you are interested.

By the way, the speakers do look really nice and seem really well built. I wanted the Illusions because all of my other speakers are Illusions and might be better in the upper midbass region than the Kickers.

David
Old 08-16-2002, 02:30 PM
Padway

randomwalk101: you mentioned you were previously using a JL12W3... I'm not sure if you have the experience to make this judgement, but how do you think the RMB8's would compare to a JL 10 w3?
Old 08-17-2002, 02:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Angry

Originally posted by kent_99TL
Do you still have the second Sub up for sale?

Thanks
On second thought..the sub/space is available. I struck a deal with a guy (name withheld to protect the guilty) but he flaked on me. Another user also shown interested...and like the first one promised to send the money and quietly disappear. I understand the economy is taking a sh*t but why all the promises when you can't keep them when I'm on this side keeping my promise and pouring my time/effort in fabricating a spacer for him (for free). If you don't want it, just say you don't want it or I change my mind...rather than keep me waiting and giving me excuses like "Paypal won't let me send money blah blah". I've been using paypal for 3 years and never had any problem...and after 1 1/2 months, no problem can't be solved that long!!

Sorry for the rant..anyways, the sub (with a free spacer) is still available for anyone who's interested. Price will be $80 plus s/h. That's less than what I paid for when I bought it at www.sounddomain.com for $169 plus s/h. The sub is brand new (I only use one).
Old 08-17-2002, 02:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Padway
randomwalk101: you mentioned you were previously using a JL12W3... I'm not sure if you have the experience to make this judgement, but how do you think the RMB8's would compare to a JL 10 w3?
The JL12w3 definately has a lot more punch than the Kicker RMB8 (250watts compares to 175 watts). Plus, the JL12w3 was in a enclosed box so it'll beat a lot deeper. A friend of mine has JL10w3 and it beats just as hard as the JL12w3 but his sound system is TOTALLY modified (he must have spent thousands on his as to I only spend around $300 for all four Polk DX6 and RMB8 and alpine amp)....so needless to say his is better.
Anyways, the RMB8 will not beat as hard. It is perfect for "normal" music listening enviroment especially with soft rocks, pop, classical etc...but if you're into hip hop and want to crank it all the way up, RMB8 is NOT for you. In that case, you want the JL10w3 or so... In a close box, the bass will be a lot deeper than free air. Again, this is standard...but do take a lot of trunk space and about 50 lbs heavier. You just simply can't have the best of both worlds...gotta pick one closest to your taste
Old 08-17-2002, 01:01 PM
Intermediate

randomwalk,
How big is the spacer ?
Old 08-17-2002, 05:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by zotl
randomwalk,
How big is the spacer ?
I made the spacer awhile ago so I don't remember the exact dimension. I used DrCookie's dimension and it fits perfectly. I believe 9x11" w/ a 7.25" hole...don't quote me on anything though...do a search for his post to be sure.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:35 PM
Advanced

Randomwalk101:

Sorry but I must disagree with you. You can have the best of both worlds.

I have the Illusion Audio ND8s (which I finally found so I have the RMB8s for sale) that I am going to use in the front doors. They are 8" subwoofers that are about the same depth as the RMB8. Morel is another company that makes shallow subwoofers that are also freeair. The RMB8 was made more for midbass applications. If you were to get an actual subwoofer, you could have the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, the ND8s were hard to find and expensive. The Morels are pretty expensive although some have had good luck with their home drivers that can be found at www.madisound.com.

David
Old 08-20-2002, 12:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm quite happy with the Kicker. It is not a true sub but I think it make up quite nicely for the lack of bass in the stock sub. I've never listened to the ND8 so I have no idea...although I'm curious to hear what it sounds like comparing to the RMB8.
BTW, Illusion Audio is out of business...it'd be quite a miracle to find the ND8 nowadays. How do you end up with a set? Also, why are you installing it in the front door??? Don't you want your mid-range to work there??

Originally posted by SuperDave
Randomwalk101:

Sorry but I must disagree with you. You can have the best of both worlds.

I have the Illusion Audio ND8s (which I finally found so I have the RMB8s for sale) that I am going to use in the front doors. They are 8" subwoofers that are about the same depth as the RMB8. Morel is another company that makes shallow subwoofers that are also freeair. The RMB8 was made more for midbass applications. If you were to get an actual subwoofer, you could have the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, the ND8s were hard to find and expensive. The Morels are pretty expensive although some have had good luck with their home drivers that can be found at www.madisound.com.

David
Old 08-20-2002, 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Interestingly, I did some quick search on subwoofer and the majority of the subwoofers response to frequency around 25-300 Hertz which is what the RMB8 responses to (30-300). I guess this is why it is working well as a subwoofer when it is intended as midbass sub.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Most of the 8" subs have refrequency response from 30Hz and up. Only a few have frequency response from 25Hz and up.

I believe Kicker has done a good job on RMB8 eventhough it is cataogorized as a mid bass sub.

Price wise (per sub), RMB8 is the cheapest free air sub that can be put on the TL-S stock location without too much modification and it also produces good quality bass. The only down side is it does not hit as hard as the sub is a sealed box but what do you expect from a sub that only has 2.25" mounting depth ?

If I happen to bump into ND8 or Morel with a good price, I might give it a try to see how it sounds compare to RMB8.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers
Old 08-20-2002, 01:57 PM
wpf
Cruisin'

sub woofer amp

Pardon my ignorance but do you need to install an amp with the RMB8?

If so what is recommended

thanks
Old 08-20-2002, 08:34 PM
Advanced

A discussion on the RMB8 versus the ND8 came up on the EliteCarAudio board and a person from Kicker said that it wouldn't go as low, as loud because it was meant to be more efficient in the midbass region. However, that doesn't mean it isn't able to go down that low. I would also have to agree that it is definitely the best value for an 8" freeair. However, I haven't heard it myself, just going off of what I have read and heard from others.

David
Old 08-20-2002, 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

SuperDave, I thought you have a pair of RMB8 and ND8? May be you can put them in just to test/compare the sound quality since none of us over here has one.

wpf, you need an aftermarket amp to move the sub. The Kicker is rated at 175watts so to getter the purest sound quality, you might want to pick up an amp that can move 200watts or so. Stock amp is around the size of a cigarrette package and it fits perfectly in the corner of my trashcan.
Old 08-21-2002, 02:26 PM
wpf
Cruisin'

amp suggestions?

Thanks for the info Randomwalk

Can any one recommend an amp for the Kicker that doesn't bust the bank?
Old 08-21-2002, 06:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

I use Rockford Fosgate 200M. It puts out 200 watts @ 2ohm mono. I got it for $199. It depends on which sub you are driving. Higher wattage sub will require more powerful amp. If you are using RMB8, then 100-200w amp should be sufficient enough. Try find the amp that you could adjust the low pass frequency.

Just my $0.02

Cheers
Old 08-21-2002, 10:12 PM
Advanced

Randomwalk101,

That sounds like a good idea. I will try to have them installed this weekend but I am not sure I will be done with the install by then. I am planning on selling one of the subs to wpf so I might not have a pair if I don't get the system finished this weekend.

However, as long as I have one, I can at least do some tests. I will let you know what I come up with.

David
Old 08-21-2002, 10:54 PM
Advanced

A lot of people on various car audio forums have been using the JBL BP1200.1 amp for some of the larger subs. I would definitely recommend looking at the JBL BP600.1 as it can be had for $190 at Etronics. I have ordered from them before and the service was fine although they don't have the best reputation.

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=jblbp6001

David