Review - USA-SPEC PA11-HON2 in a 2006 Acura TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question regarding this. I have read up about it but couldn't find any direct information answering my question.

I know the CD changer controls will correspond to the playlists you have set and if you don't have any set up, they will default to their own playlists. Does that mean that "all songs" will be the first playlist or something?

In other words, let's say I want to play all songs, how do I do that? And what if I want to play a certain album? Is that when I take the iPod out and find it myself? Then when I hit the first song, I can skip through the other songs in that album?

I'm a bt confused with that aspect of it. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just looked at the DICE and they don't make one for the 2007 TSX. That's too bad. I know I'm not going to be buying my car for a few months (if I pick the TSX) but it would be nice to have the DICE because it allows for more control of the iPod than the USA Spec does.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:40 AM
3rd Gear

This thing rocks. 15 minutes to install here. Sounds great!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
2nd Gear

So just to make sure, I've read through this entire thread, and several others, but I'm not sure if all my answers concerning my make and model TSX are correct...so here goes:

I have a 2005 TSX with Navigation.

I currently subscribe to XM Radio and would like to maintain use of that.

I currently use my 6 disk in dash CD changer and would like to continue using that.

I definitely want to continue using my Navigation.

It seems that the US Spec solution specified in this thread will allow me to add IPOD integration, while maintaining ALL of the above? If that is not correct, what would I lose? It seems I basically can use CD 1-5 to play CDs loaded into my changer, and I use CD 6 to listen to the Ipod...
Old 01-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Advanced

Ground Loop Isolator?

Does this unit require a Ground Loop Isolator when the RCA inputs are used with external audio device powered by the car's cigarette lighter? I would think that the USA SPEC unit would have this built in, and I don't see any specific complaints about engine whine with the RCA inputs, but I don't see any specific denials of engine noise as well.

This unit looks sweet - I am sick of my IceLink not letting me manually control my iPod, along with other small but annoying issues. I currently FM modulate my XM receiver and would definitely love having a better quality input to my car system.

The initial review on the DICE were not that favorable... has anyone compared it to the USA SPEC?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:56 AM
10th Gear

Question Help! Can't find aux input cable! - 2004 TSX

I have followed this thread carefully as a proud owner of a 2004 non-Nav TSX. Went out and purchased the USA SPEC PA11-HON2y and can't wait to hook up my iPod Nano.

Here's my problem.

I have successfully pulled out the CD storage tray but cannot find any auxiliary cable anywhere!!!!! Is this cable hidden somewhere? I'm wondering whether this has anything to do with the fact that my TSX is a Canadian version? Or maybe I'm just blind.

Any help on EXACTLY where the aux. input cable is located would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Palmster, that's because you don't have an aux cable! On the 2004 non-navi, there is no cable going to the port you need in stock form. This port is utilized by Acura for navi voice and XM functionality, and you have neither currently.

Just use a mirror to look up and locate a white socket under the radio and plug in your usa spec port there. You don't need to plug anything in the y-adapter piece.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:29 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Reach
The Palmster, that's because you don't have an aux cable! On the 2004 non-navi, there is no cable going to the port you need in stock form. This port is utilized by Acura for navi voice and XM functionality, and you have neither currently.

Just use a mirror to look up and locate a white socket under the radio and plug in your usa spec port there. You don't need to plug anything in the y-adapter piece.
Are you saying that I can actually reach the radio's auxiliary port without having to removing anything other than the CD holder? That seems like a pretty small space but I will try.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes, all you need to do is remove that 1 storage pocket, nothing else. Use a mirror to look up, at the back near the center is the white port you need to plug it into. Even with big hands, you'll have no problem finding it and getting it in there. There is also room to stuff the usa spec unit in at the very back, as I've said before, just make sure you get all the wires out of the way. Where you route the ipod cable is up to you.

This is a pic of it plugged in (big blue wire is for something else, you won't have that)
Old 01-18-2007, 05:26 PM
10th Gear

Thank you very much, Reach. You were extremely helpful. The USA Spec PA11 is installed and working great!

I do have to say, however, that the volume is just a tad lower than the volume on a CD in the in dash player. I import my music at MP3 Encoder at the highest setting (192 kbps). Not sure if this makes any difference.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Chris

Yes, all you need to do is remove that 1 storage pocket, nothing else. Use a mirror to look up, at the back near the center is the white port you need to plug it into. Even with big hands, you'll have no problem finding it and getting it in there. There is also room to stuff the usa spec unit in at the very back, as I've said before, just make sure you get all the wires out of the way. Where you route the ipod cable is up to you.

This is a pic of it plugged in (big blue wire is for something else, you won't have that)
Reach, All the info had been so helpful!! At this point, where would you advise me to buy the equipment for a 05 navi????
Old 01-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Our board vendor "elduderino" can get them for you at a very good price, unfortunatly he's been idle for a few weeks.

You can get these off any number of websites. The logjam electronics website, Crutchfield, eBay... pretty much just google the model number and pick whatever is the best price you can get.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Our board vendor "elduderino" can get them for you at a very good price, unfortunatly he's been idle for a few weeks.

You can get these off any number of websites. The logjam electronics website, Crutchfield, eBay... pretty much just google the model number and pick whatever is the best price you can get.
I bought it yesterday on ebay for $124.95 with free shipping!!! check out autoware302!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Hey I just bought a bunch of stuff from his eBay store for the new Highlander.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Rebourne

Just a question of reassurance. I have an 04 Navi TSX. And, I'm looking to get this USA-Spec, but which model do I need that has everything included and for me to be able to have it work with the Navi. Would it be USA-SPEC PA11-HON2y that includes the "Y" adapter, would that be all?

I've noticed the vendor hasn't been online for a while and I want one, now.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

You need a PA11-HON2Y. In fact, the 'y' one may be the only one they are still making now.

Just buy one off a website for fast service.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Rebourne

You need a PA11-HON2Y. In fact, the 'y' one may be the only one they are still making now.

Just buy one off a website for fast service.

Ok, thanks....I just wanted to make sure. I'll probably will end up buying one from eBay like the one Jwood has listed. I'll give it till the end of the month. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:59 PM
10th Gear

You could buy it from www.mp3yourcar.com. The Neo iOnAux is, in fact, the USA Spec PA11-HON2y. Although their advertised price is $199, they will match the lowest price available on the web. Just call their 1-800 number. Excellent customer service!
Old 02-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Advanced

I bought mine last week from EnfigCarStereo.com and saw my credit card was charged. It should have arrived here overnight but I never received anything. I called a few days later and found out it was not in stock and they would be receiving a shipment in mid February. The reason I bought the unit from Enfig was because it was in stock (as it said nothing to contradict that on the web site). I was pissed, but as it turned out, it came in yesterday and I received it today.

I just finished installing it and it took about 2 hours. This was mainly because drilling the hole took some time but mostly because I couldn't get the damn compartment back into place. It slipped out easily, so easily in fact that I was wondering why everyone said it was so difficult. I was able to begin drilling the hole (and did so carefully as I couldn't unhook the wire attached to the compartment -- is it even possible?) Soon, though, the battery in the drill started to die, so I needed to grab the spare and go at it. Eventually, the hole was finished and I began the cleanup.

Once I finished that, I went to slip the compartment back into place. This took me FOREVER, since I wasn't sure if I was angling it wrong or if the USA Spec unit itself was blocking the compartment from getting back into place. Looking back, it was probably a little of both, but I did get it done. It also took extra time because I was being REALLY careful not to scratch anything since the car is so damn new.

All in all, I'm happy with it. I got a chance to play with it a bit and there was no running together between the XM and the iPod playback. I can't wait till I have some time to take a nice drive with it.

Funny thing I noticed, though. In direct mode, using the steering wheel to change the song increments the meaningless track number (which only goes up to 99 and then back to 01). Changing songs via the iPod does change the song, but not the number. Weird.

Last edited by BriLam; 02-02-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:47 AM
Racer

The Plamster, so is it true the Neo Prolink (http://www.neocaraudio.com/product_i...oducts_id=1002) and the USA-SPEC (www.usaspec.com/ipod.html) the same, just in different packaging???
Old 02-03-2007, 08:09 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mav3556
The Plamster, so is it true the Neo Prolink (http://www.neocaraudio.com/product_i...oducts_id=1002) and the USA-SPEC (www.usaspec.com/ipod.html) the same, just in different packaging???
They are exactly the same unit. In fact, when I ordered from www.mp3yourcar.com, the packaging was the USA-SPEC packaging. I guess they've decided to just admit that these are one and the same unit.

BTW, when I commented that their customer service was excellent, I really meant it. I had some issues, in addition to asking them to match a lower web price, which they resolved in the most amicable manner possible. I would buy from this site again in an instant...maybe when I upgrade to a TL!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:57 PM
New to Modding Cars

will this work with 2004 TSX Non-navigation?

If so, can somone give me more information on it. Like what all do I need to install it. Do I need a second adapter or converter?

Are those two auxillary audio inputs? Can those be used for audio input, for example, if i have a PS2I can just feed the audio cables into there and have the sound play through my speakers?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by KapVu; 02-06-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:25 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by KapVu
will this work with 2004 TSX Non-navigation?

If so, can somone give me more information on it. Like what all do I need to install it. Do I need a second adapter or converter?

Are those two auxillary audio inputs? Can those be used for audio input, for example, if i have a PS2I can just feed the audio cables into there and have the sound play through my speakers?

Thanks for any help.
Absolutely. I am presently using it on a 2004 TSX non-navigation. You simply pull-out the CD holder tray (see specific instructions earlier in this post). Once the tray is out, you use a mirror to find the Aux. input which is located at the bottom of the radio so point your mirror upwards. Once you find the Aux. input, you plug your adapter in and then you decide where you want the ipod cable to go. I drilled a 5/8 hole at the bottom of the CD holder and thread the ipod cable through. My ipod simply sits in the CD holder.

As for the aux. input on the adapter, it simply allows you to plug in left/right audio cables so I guess that your PS2 would work fine. The only issue is how and where to thread the cables. You could always drill a bigger hole in the CD holder to allow more cables to be fed through.

I strongly recommend this unit.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:41 PM
New to Modding Cars

Originally Posted by The Palmster
Absolutely. I am presently using it on a 2004 TSX non-navigation. You simply pull-out the CD holder tray (see specific instructions earlier in this post). Once the tray is out, you use a mirror to find the Aux. input which is located at the bottom of the radio so point your mirror upwards. Once you find the Aux. input, you plug your adapter in and then you decide where you want the ipod cable to go. I drilled a 5/8 hole at the bottom of the CD holder and thread the ipod cable through. My ipod simply sits in the CD holder.

As for the aux. input on the adapter, it simply allows you to plug in left/right audio cables so I guess that your PS2 would work fine. The only issue is how and where to thread the cables. You could always drill a bigger hole in the CD holder to allow more cables to be fed through.

I strongly recommend this unit.
Wow Palmster, thank you for all the info. I just have one question, since i'm too lazy go see look myself, but are the auxillary inputs in the radio are those the white and red inputs or a different type of input? By this I mean, can i just plug my PS2 audio directly into that instead of using the usaspec device. Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:48 PM
New to Modding Cars

Also is there a difference between the USA-SPEC PA11-HON2 and the USA-SPEC PA11-HON2Y version?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:35 AM
10th Gear

Wow Palmster, thank you for all the info. I just have one question, since i'm too lazy go see look myself, but are the auxillary inputs in the radio are those the white and red inputs or a different type of input? By this I mean, can i just plug my PS2 audio directly into that instead of using the usaspec device. Thanks again.
No. The auxilliary input from the radio is a white box with about 16 connections. This is why it is important that you purchase the correct ipod adapter for your car. It is the adapter itself which gives you the ability to plug in the red/white audio inputs.

Here are some pics of the TSX - Navigation version which were posted earlier in this thread. You can see the connections quite well in these pics thanks to djpinoy!

Originally Posted by djpinoy

Also is there a difference between the USA-SPEC PA11-HON2 and the USA-SPEC PA11-HON2Y version?
I have the PA11-HON2Y version. Apparently, this is the updated version. Not sure what the differences are.

Last edited by The Palmster; 02-07-2007 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

the 'y' stands for 'y-adapter', which is built in to that model. All TSXs EXCEPT 04 non-navi need the Y. 04 non-navi can use either one.

And yes KapVu, the above explanation was a little odd, but yes, you can just plug your PS2 audio inputs into the red/white rca aux inputs on the usa spec, and utilize it for both iPod and PS2. I am doing exactly that in my car.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Intermediate

Just got the PA11-HON2Y installed during the weekend in the cold weather. Everything works perfectly and I could change volume and songs with my steering wheels. It worked like a charm. I routed the cables to the glove box so entirely no drill and tools were used. I will post finished picture later. (too cold to continue further.) Thanks everyone here especially REACH.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Cruisin'

Anyone had this issue before? when going to my CD-C input. the cd"6", the 6 keeps on flashing. It works and all but my songs keep changing on me after playing like 10 secs. It worked fine before and just started doing this 2 days ago.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

I finally installed this unit in my new ASM 06 TSX this weekend and it works perfectly!! The only issue i have is i had trouble making room behind the unit and the bottom two clips won't fully snap back in because of the location i have the white box at. So when the weather gets warmer i will take it out again and move it around until it fits together. I drilled a hole in the pocket for the cable to come through and i just keep the ipod nicely tucked in there on an angle and its good to go. The steering wheel controls are awesome and the XM still works great too! Thanks Reach for the advice on this little unit. It was my first mod to my new TSX
Old 02-18-2007, 09:58 PM
-Mike

So, i have a question on this.

1) Is there only 1 AUX in a 05 NAVI?

2) If i use this, to use the RCA jacks (not going to use this for an ipod) will i be able to add a DVD player so i can watch and hear movies in the future?

thanks,

mike
Old 02-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by yungwunn911
So, i have a question on this.

1) Is there only 1 AUX in a 05 NAVI?

2) If i use this, to use the RCA jacks (not going to use this for an ipod) will i be able to add a DVD player so i can watch and hear movies in the future?

thanks,

mike
To my knowledge yes, you can use it for a DVD player. On the back of the packaging, it says, RCA's input with an arrow to DVD player or satellite receiver. So yes, it will work. AS for the AUX port in an 05, i'm not sure. My 04 didn't have one that i knew of....
Old 02-18-2007, 10:15 PM
-Mike

Can I use the RCA jacks for the mP3 player ANND the dvd at the same time?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

With a splitter, sure.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Cruisin'

I'd like to order the USA-SPEC ipod integration. Do you know how much these go for? Is the Acura dealership going to hose me? I'm in Orange/LA County.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tx,
Old 02-22-2007, 05:01 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by The Palmster
They are exactly the same unit. In fact, when I ordered from www.mp3yourcar.com, the packaging was the USA-SPEC packaging. I guess they've decided to just admit that these are one and the same unit.

BTW, when I commented that their customer service was excellent, I really meant it. I had some issues, in addition to asking them to match a lower web price, which they resolved in the most amicable manner possible. I would buy from this site again in an instant...maybe when I upgrade to a TL!
There are many other sites but you will not be able to purchase the unit at the Acura dealership. Most of the dealers will not even install it for you.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Intermediate

I ordered mine off eBay for $119. The installation wasn't difficult at all and took me about 20 minutes including the preliminary masking tape task. There are many threads that discuss about this and here are the 2 most important tips before you pull the storage unit out.

1. mask tape the surrounding area
2. use a mirror to view where the plug is located. (Thanks, REACH)

Other than these, simply pull the storage out and connect the wire to the HON-PA11y and find a place for the cables.

Good luck.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Advanced

Just another positive review for the USA-SPEC. I am car-stereo challenged but I had no difficulty installing it. Believe it or not, the thing I had the most trouble with was pulling the existing plug from the bottom of the factory unit. It was really tight. I just installed it last night, so I haven't used it a lot but it does seem to work as advertised. Many thanks to all who posted instructions here on AZ. I never would have tried it otherwise.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:04 PM
10th Gear

ok i was reading most of the thread, and i want to clear something up.

will this work with the 04 w/navi?
are the install procedures the same?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:07 PM
10th Gear

oh and where is the best place to buy it at? any suggestions on who i should buy it from? ebay/net?

Quick Reply: Review - USA-SPEC PA11-HON2 in a 2006 Acura TSX