Replacing Stock Bose system 101.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004 | 10:33 PM
Pro

Replacing Stock Bose system 101.....

Ok, I just want to know a few answers. There are so many different threads it is hard to keep up with them all.

What is a good decent deck to replace the factory one with. I would like it to do cd/mp3/dvd/wma/ all those.

Is it possible to have basically two decks one that I can put the dvd in and another with a motorized screen to watch it with?

Is that cheaper then an all-in-one dvd/cd unit with a included motorized screen?

I assume that all of the ones I will choose from also will allow a changer to be hooked up.

I was thinking about a kenwood specifically because I use sirius radio and they have them built in. Although I am not stuck on them. I have been hearing good things about Pioneer, Clarion and Alpine also.

For speakers it seems to be between: Polk, Focus, Infinity. That is what I see to be the most popular.

Any comments?

Amps..... don't have a clue!!! I heard that Alpine amps make things very clear....but I don't know much else.

and then the subs... I was originally thinking of the Infinity that has the amp attached to it so I would not have to worry about taking up trunk room when I need it. That way I can remove it, plus I assume the infinity one is tuned perfectly for the infinity sub. It seems that there are alot of options for subs so that alot of room is not taken up.

Thanks for reading this and your responses.
Old 06-15-2004 | 10:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters
Is it possible to have basically two decks one that I can put the dvd in and another with a motorized screen to watch it with?
Yes, Pioneer has a setup like this. 2 DIN units.

Is that cheaper then an all-in-one dvd/cd unit with a included motorized screen?.
Not necessarily. Haven't looked at DVD HU prices recently, but I would think all-in-one would be the better route.

I assume that all of the ones I will choose from also will allow a changer to be hooked up.
Pretty much every HU except for the cheapest have a proprietary bus connection for their own brand of changer. There are also add-on FM changers, but its not a great option IMO.

I was thinking about a kenwood specifically because I use sirius radio and they have them built in. Although I am not stuck on them. I have been hearing good things about Pioneer, Clarion and Alpine also.
All good units IMO. I'm partial to Pioneer Premier and Alpine.

Subs... I was originally thinking of the Infinity that has the amp attached to it so I would not have to worry about taking up trunk room when I need it. That way I can remove it, plus I assume the infinity one is tuned perfectly for the infinity sub. It seems that there are alot of options for subs so that alot of room is not taken up.
This is not usually the case. The best sound will usually be achieved by mixing brands to acheive the best match for your vehicle. This doesn't mean you shouldn't buy all the same brand (hell, I'm installing all Kappa right now)...just don't feel you have to buy all the same brand to have it sound good.
Old 06-15-2004 | 10:49 PM
Pro

This is not usually the case. The best sound will usually be achieved by mixing brands to acheive the best match for your vehicle. This doesn't mean you shouldn't buy all the same brand (hell, I'm installing all Kappa right now)...just don't feel you have to buy all the same brand to have it sound good.

What I meant by the Infinity sub is that the amp is ATTATCHET to the sub box....all as one unit.

Thanks for the other answers they help.
Old 06-16-2004 | 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

the infiniti sub you are talking about is the basslink right... personally i would got with a all in one headunit like the eclipse avx-2494 or the kenwood ddx-7015 (double din units with the screen on the front...)... as for door speakers i would say diamond audio... but i would strongly suggest that you go to the store and audition as many speakers as possible to find out what sounds good to you.. just because another person loves a particular brand does not mean it will sound good to you... shoot i know a bunch of people who will swear that mb quarts are the best speakers made but when i listen to them all i hear is screechy highs... as for amps... i would try to stay with a decent name (PG, Alpine, jl audio, diamond audio, soundstream, xtant, zapco, memphis, etc..)... as for subs i would go with probably one good 12 in a sealed enclosure so it would not take up much room..