Replacing the factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001 | 05:23 AM
6th Gear

Replacing the factory alarm

Has anybody replaced the factory alarm in their CL/CL Type S.

I'm thinking of doing this and would like to hear the sort of obstacles (if any) others had faced.

TIA,

Brian
Old 03-25-2001 | 10:37 PM
Cruisin'

I'm curious as to why you wish to replace the factory alarm. Are there some features that you want that the factory alarm lacks?
Old 03-26-2001 | 12:53 AM
6th Gear

I'm fully aware of the arugment, "...if a theif really wants to steal the car, he/she will find a way".

For me, the factory alarm does nothing to actually inhibit the theft of my car. I want to replace it with a unit that has an imobilizer and also a proximity sensor.

I'm just not sure how much work it would be to disable the stock system. It may be as simple as pulling a fuse.

Brian
Old 03-26-2001 | 02:05 AM
Cruisin'

I just checked the owner's manual and couldn't find a listing for the alarm system fuse.

The manual states the alarm only responds when the doors, hood, or trunk are opened. There are no sensors for proximity, broken glass, or motion inside the car.

The ignition does have an immobilizer if the correct key is not used. I would guess, but I do know for sure, that this would prevent the car from starting if the car was hot wired.

Could you install another alarm and have both function at the same time?

------------------
Black 2001 CL-S Nav, delivered 2/29/00
No mods.
Old 03-26-2001 | 07:13 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

Depending on the installer, they can get a new car alarm to co-exist with the stock car alarm and that is how a new alarm should be added.

------------------
2001 CL-S Satin Silver/Ebnoy
Spoiler, moonroof visor, 20% Tint, V1
Mobil 1 Oil/Oil Filter and PIAA 19170/19173
X-Pel/Upgrade Cup Holder
Clifford Solaris Remote Start Car Alarm

On its way: WS Apexi Coilover/AEM CAI/Comptech Sway Bar
Old 03-29-2001 | 02:13 AM
Ricky Bobby

I just got done putting in my alarm in my car this week. I just put in auto start and everything else. We are now even working on the video carmers on it now. There is not much to work about the factory system. It is pretty easy. If you get someone to do it that know what they are doing it is easy. Talk to SE (street effects). It sure seems like he knows what he is doing by his work.

------------------
2001 Type S NO Nav
White/Parchment/spoiler
20%metalized tint all around, 50% metalized tint on winshield, built in K40 front/rear radar, 12" Excursion Sub/amp, Comptech filter/headers

2000 Corvette
2000 Silverado
1999 Mercedes Benz SL500
1997 Mercedes Benz S500
1997 Porsche 911 turbo
1996 Accord EX V6

[This message has been edited by rp_carbiz (edited 03-29-2001).]
Old 03-29-2001 | 03:21 AM
Banned

Disabling the factory alarm is simple when hooking up an aftermarket alarm. There is an output on the aftermarket alarm that will connect to the stock alarm to bypass it.
Old 03-29-2001 | 01:52 PM
Racer

When you disable the factory alarm do you lose the ability to use the memory feature for the seats? Thanks
Old 04-04-2001 | 03:37 AM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by q2killer:
When you disable the factory alarm do you lose the ability to use the memory feature for the seats? Thanks</font>
As "2Sxy4YoMama" said above, the better solution is to make the existing alarm work in tandem with your more sophisticated addition.

Your Acura key fob could still make the seats remember your settings, but it would set off your new alarm when you unlocked the car doors with it.

Your new alarm's replacement key fob should have a much more robust anti-code-copying system and can be programmed to disarm the existing alarm, unlock the doors and a lot of other tricks if you want; but (probably) not be able to incorporate the seat memory feature without some major expense, brain power commitment, and computer hackage including soldering. -Kinda risky for most installers.

To me, the added protection of a quality alarm system seems like a fair trade for having to press the memory button on the door for the few times I have to set the seats for myself.

Old 04-17-2001 | 02:59 AM
Instructor

I always thought that you can just add sensors and relays and that type of thing to the factory alarm, thus saving tons of money and keeping the factory alarm in-tact. Also avoiding a lot of warranty concerns.

------------------
1997 ACURA 3.0 CL PREMIUM

Apex-i cat-back Exhaust, AEM Intake, Clear Bumper Lenses, 18" ADR Cyrax rims, Ground Control Coilovers, Wings West Chin Spoiler, Acura Rear spoiler, Piaa Fog Lights, Tinted Windows, Boston Acoustics tweets, mids and subs.
Old 04-17-2001 | 05:01 AM
Banned

You most certainly can add sensors and such to the factory alarm.
Old 05-11-2001 | 12:36 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StreetEffectz:
You most certainly can add sensors and such to the factory alarm.</font>
Can we add some device that'll automatically close our windows and sunroof when we activate the alarm? I left my car out of the garage with the sunroof open last night, luckily it didn't rain.
Old 05-13-2001 | 12:51 AM
Instructor

I know that many aftermarket alarm mfrs. offer options for controlling the moonroof and windows and more.
Old 05-13-2001 | 04:47 AM
SILVER

I have a Clifford Avant Guard 4, which for convenience, has auto start, window roll up/down, and 3 venting positions, door locks, trunk pop, 16 function remote, but the real reason I got it is because of the security. It has a starter kill, ignition circuit break, tilt sensor, two stage motion sensor, wireless immobilizer on the fuel pump, battery back-up siren, and two-button coded valet switch. Even the most basic clifford, has better security than most
alarms. I recommend them to anyone

------------------
mods include:
Xtant 6.5" components front and rear
xta603x
2 xtant 12" X series subs
plexi box front and rear with 2way mirror, sliding amp rack
clifford avant guard 4 alarm:AEM CAI and pulleys
Comptech headers on the way
Old 05-16-2001 | 02:25 PM
Firestarter

I have a Clifford Concept 200. I have had Clifford alarms previously and I am very happy with them. They are highly rated among installers. My only concern with them is that so few places install them. Clifford was also bought out by the maker of the Viper alarm which concerns me since i really liked Clifford's designs.

------------------
Silver CL-S
Old 06-03-2001 | 10:44 PM
Cruisin'

I am curious about the factory alarm also.
I was told that in addition to the simple lights and horn flashing, the keys contain a chip for the immobilizer. Reading further in the manual, it states that if you have another immobilizer key (from your spare CL, TL or RL) on the same keyring, that you might have trouble starting the car due to the RF interference (this would require you to use a PLASTIC or LEATHER fob which doesn't transmit the necessary bit pulse).
I suppose the chip manufacturer is either a Dallas made Proximity or one of the Schlumberger/Corby system touch chips, which is a system we use at work for access to our mainframes.
And yes, there is no battery power reqired persay..they just work. Now..does the immobilzer on the CL kill the starter and the fuel pump/ignition computer? or does it do more or less....The tech at the garage that does the electronics wasn't in when I called, but I will try to ask them tomorrow when I take it back for warranty service.
(yeah I know..only had it since Wed., but it came that way..)

signed, with curious interest,
Notta

------------------
Aegean Pearl Blue
Type S w/ Navi
Old 06-04-2001 | 04:41 AM
Instructor

Yes, the key does contain a chip that tells the car that it is the right key... go ahead, try to get the key copied at your local hardware store... it wont start the car, and if you unlock the doors with it it will set the alarm off. Now, I talked to an Alpine represenative, and asked him about our alarms in our cars, seeing how Alpine makes all of our alarms and keyless systems, I asked him if our fobs would work with one of their mass market alarms... being that he was just some a-hole that sat around and answered phones not even knowing what the company made, he said he'd have to get back to me. But seeing how they are the same company, and if you pull one of our fobs apart along side an Alpine alarm fob, they look rather similiar inside... I would say there is some way, if you pulled the whole factory alarm out and replaced it with an alpine aftermarket alarm, you'd still be able to use the factory fob, or even added an alpine alarm to the factory alarm you could still use the acura fob. i'll let you know if I find anything interesting out.

------------------
1997 ACURA 3.0 CL PREMIUM

Apex-i cat-back Exhaust, AEM Intake, Clear Bumper Lenses, 18" ADR Cyrax rims, Ground Control Coilovers, Wings West Chin Spoiler, Acura Rear spoiler, Piaa Fog Lights, Tinted Windows, Boston Acoustics tweets, mids and subs.