Replace Stock Sub?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004 | 02:53 PM
Racer

Replace Stock Sub?

I want to replace my stock sub, i have an 02 TL , does anyone have any suggestions for an amp that is good and will be plug and play, I also want something that is inexpensive as well ? TIA
Old 08-01-2004 | 04:43 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by CubanLinx
I want to replace my stock sub, i have an 02 TL , does anyone have any suggestions for an amp that is good and will be plug and play, I also want something that is inexpensive as well ? TIA

i wasn't too sure from the thread, are you intending on putting a new sub in the stock location or are you asking about what subs we prefer in general for a new aftermarket setup? because replacing the stock sub can be done, but an aftermarket one will sound better. let us know.
Old 08-02-2004 | 07:40 PM
Racer

I want to replace the stock sub with a new sub
Old 08-02-2004 | 08:21 PM
Boomer SOONER

there isnt many subs that will fit in that location....I believe Pioneer makes a low profile sub that people have used...you really wont get much better responce with a free air sub from that location/setup. In other words, you should get a sub with a box and a new amp if you want an improvement worth your time and money.
Old 08-03-2004 | 09:19 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by OU Sig
there isnt many subs that will fit in that location....I believe Pioneer makes a low profile sub that people have used...you really wont get much better responce with a free air sub from that location/setup. In other words, you should get a sub with a box and a new amp if you want an improvement worth your time and money.
i wholeheartedly agree. if you put another sub in there you have to remember that the stock bose enclosure probably is not big enough to meet the minimum cubic feet requirements for any aftermarket sub. and as mentioned, freeair subs usually sound like poop.

as much as it's nice to just keep everything stock, you will be alot happier with something new. but if you still really want to go with the old then i know there are writeups online here. i could have sworn i had seen one or two.

either way you will have to run lines for a new amp. the stock amp cannot support a better sub by much and by no means should you wire an aftermarket amp to the stock amp power wires. it simply cannot handle the current draw, and aside from blowing fuses you run the risk of melting wires and doing alot of damage. you might allready know this but i just want to make sure i say it. good luck and let us know if you need help!

SSTS