Replace the Head unit with an aftermarket unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:21 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replace the Head unit with an aftermarket unit

Hey guys , i always want to upgrade my sound in my TSX , but i think now i really have to do it since my 6CD changer crap out, the point is..... nobody have the Install Kit for this car , is not available only the wire harness is available, this is from my research, I been in so many audio places and all of them they need to do custom work and they get so expensive , anybody have any idea where i can find a kit so i can replace the head unit ? Or any other way i can do it myself ?

Last edited by Vidus; 01-15-2008 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your main option is to install a DIN sized HU in the storage pocket just below the radio and use that as your radio. You can't remove the whole TSX HU, as it also controls the HVAC in the car, and you wouldn't want to use that.

If you have lots of money to spend, in the thousands, a good custom installer can fabricate a 2DIN screen on top of where the stock HU display is, and then you can run a cable to a hideaway brain somewhere else and have that be your HU. Good Luck.

Of course, a read through the FAQs posted at the top of this forum or some searches would have also revealed this information. Please make sure to read all the stuff we've already got here first!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Racer

i have an aftermarket head unit in my car. i bought the tsx mp3 attachment kit which replaces the storage bin below the stock headunit. if you have navi or blue tooth, you'll lose the voice for that. until someone figures out how to wire up the blue tooth and navi voice to an aftermarket deck, you're stuck without sound for your navi and blue tooth.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:40 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Reach
Your main option is to install a DIN sized HU in the storage pocket just below the radio and use that as your radio. You can't remove the whole TSX HU, as it also controls the HVAC in the car, and you wouldn't want to use that.

If you have lots of money to spend, in the thousands, a good custom installer can fabricate a 2DIN screen on top of where the stock HU display is, and then you can run a cable to a hideaway brain somewhere else and have that be your HU. Good Luck.

Of course, a read through the FAQs posted at the top of this forum or some searches would have also revealed this information. Please make sure to read all the stuff we've already got here first!
Well that is an option but still it is no kit to install a receiver in that pocket , the wire harness is available but i can not find no kit to fit it in that pocket, mine is w/o navigation and the AC controls they look pretty separate. and i don't want to spend that much money to replace and custom everything......
Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by zidenx
i have an aftermarket head unit in my car. i bought the tsx mp3 attachment kit which replaces the storage bin below the stock headunit. if you have navi or blue tooth, you'll lose the voice for that. until someone figures out how to wire up the blue tooth and navi voice to an aftermarket deck, you're stuck without sound for your navi and blue tooth.
Oh.... where did you get that from ? that will be what i need , the whole unit replace seems to be a big task and way expensive. Thank you
Old 01-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Racer

well i don't remember the part number, but i got it off of oemacuraparts.com.

here's a link to another member that has the mp3 kit.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...11#post5671011

another link

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=attachment
Old 01-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Dude, its very easy to keep navi voice / bluetooth. Just run the HU output into the TSX HU, and run that signal to your amp. You'll maintain 100% functionality of both your afermarket and stock systems, and you can amplify it all to hell and back and make a competition system if you really want to.

There is nothing limiting you but your imagination here. Everything you need is available in terms of kits and harnesses, with the 1 limitation of what I posted above: you cannot simply remove the stock system. You just have to work with it creatively.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Racer

hmmm.. can you explain to me how i would run the headunit output into the tsx headunit? and if i do this, would i have to use the stock harness and use mercmans adapter again?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

zindenx: you've got it exactly. Use a USA SPEC to bring the output of the HU into the TSX HU, and you leave the TSX HU on CD-C all the time. Thus, you'll be listening to the output of the aftermarket HU, but the TSX will feel free to interrupt you with voice commands bluetooth and every other reason it likes to talk to you.

Of course, from there you would use mercman's harness to output that signal to a capable amplifier, and your choice of speakers to really make it bump.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Racer

well there might be a problem though, i'm running my system active off of my head unit. i have 6 rca cables running from my head unit for the tweets, mids and sub.

now how would i go about this?
Old 01-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

just use 1 set of RCAs from your HU to a USA SPEC which plugs into the TSX HU. From there use a mercman's harness which will give you 4 RCAs (left / right; each front / rear) to your amp(s).
Old 01-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Racer

yeah i know that, but i'm running my system active. so if i'm only running a pair of rca cables to the usa spec i wouldn't be able to control all the other channels. my tweets, mids and sub are being controlled separately and each has it's own channel on my amp.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator

See, you're confusing things just a little here. "each has its own channel on my amp" I assume you mean on your HU? Because if you do have a separate amp, you could just run an active crossover and get the same results. In fact, that is what you should ideally be doing, as an active crossover can also do things like filter and boost line strength. If you're just controlling things from your HU, then it isn't anything that you couldn't do from the TSX's HU instead.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Racer

yes, each speaker has it's own channel on my amp. they are indivisually powered off of my 4 channel amp. tweeters get their own channels and mids get there own channels. then i have a mono amp powering my sub. i'm just running a front stage and a sub in the back. i'm running my system active off my headunit. my headunit has a built in active crossover. so the filters and slopes are being controlled from my headunit which the tsx headunit can not do.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Senior Moderator

The whole point of this conversation was just to say that YES, you can keep your bluetooth and voice guided navigation with an aftermarket setup. If you choose not to, due to your own equipment and choices, thats your call. zidenx, with an aftermarket active crossover like a piece from Audio Control, you can maintain your current setup, have better more adjustible crossovers, and have navi voice + bluetooth. I realize its a couple more dollars, but it can be done.

Capiche?