Question for you remote starts ppl

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008 | 11:12 PM
Team Owner

Question for you remote starts ppl

I was at best buy today checking out those new alarms that came out that look hella wierd but anyways im thinking on getting one, well best buy has it for 409 installed with remote start, now doesnt remote start screw up your starter because it sure did on my friends car.

SO give me your opinon you remote start users yes or no does it screw anything up??
Old 11-12-2008 | 11:15 PM
Meridian

I didn't find a need for an aftermarket alarm system. OEM is fine for my needs. And I dont like the huge remotes that come with it, the OEM keyfob is big enough.
Old 11-12-2008 | 11:17 PM
Team Owner

I need to get one because the panic is nothing! i park outside for right now and need the alarm because what is about to be done to my car.
Old 11-12-2008 | 11:27 PM
Meridian

ahh i see. I garage my car nightly and I usually commute it to school everyday. So I feel pretty safe with just my OEM alarm.
Old 11-13-2008 | 03:07 AM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

how would it mess up your starter? do you even think about the question before you ask it? honestly, why would there be hundreds of manufacturers of remote starters if there was such a huge problem that it ruined your car if you used it? obviously your friends' install was shitty or he had a shitty starter to begin with. it's not like the remote starter magically turns your starter and takes life outta it.. it taps the existing wiring and is exactly like cranking your car..
Old 11-13-2008 | 06:44 AM
Racer

the viper units have an anti grind feature witch prevents this from happening. what does that price include,model number, do you remember?

there are different r/s units that have security as well. gimme some info, so they dont rip you off or if they dont quote enough, than thats just as bad.
Old 11-13-2008 | 08:22 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

I have had the same remote start system in my last two cars and havent had a problem with starter...i dnt use it much unless i wanna show off.....naw but i do use it in the winter..i dont let it idle long since i know thats bad for the engine...i turn it on about a minute before i walk out the house and thats it...
Old 11-13-2008 | 08:37 AM
Team Owner

how would it mess up your starter? do you even think about the question before you ask it? honestly, why would there be hundreds of manufacturers of remote starters if there was such a huge problem that it ruined your car if you used it? obviously your friends' install was shitty or he had a shitty starter to begin with. it's not like the remote starter magically turns your starter and takes life outta it.. it taps the existing wiring and is exactly like cranking your car..

Listen here bro i was asking a damn question no one ask you to reply i heard from actually different people that it could affect it so....i thought this was a form u dont gotta respond!
Old 11-13-2008 | 08:40 AM
Team Owner

Ice 2 fire 11 the one i was checking out was that new Viper 5701 at best buy for 409 installed. Thanks for your help since other people always gotta put there in.
Old 11-13-2008 | 08:41 AM
Making offspring in

Ive got the viper alarm system and i love it. I have trunk release, remote start and lock unlock. I am trying to find out what i need to have the windows roll up and down with it and door poppers. Thats the main reason I say get aftermarket because of the possibilities
Old 11-13-2008 | 09:39 AM
Pro

I have a remote starter and it hasnt had any problems. I dont see why it would, all it does is crank the engine for you. Unless it was not installed right and over cranked it for some reason. Or I guess if your friend grinded the engine when putting the key in the ignition by going past just the ON position.
Old 11-13-2008 | 09:47 AM
Team Owner

hmmm maybe he has viper too.

Yea i want my windows to roll up and down too thats why i want it im going to best buy today again to see what i need so the windows can do that
Old 11-13-2008 | 10:18 AM
Racer

O got the viper and its no problem good range too.
Old 11-13-2008 | 10:19 AM
School or Mods???

it had no negative affect in my bro's car...01 cl...
he had it on his previous cars without problem...
it's really good for the cold winter and hot summer...
Old 11-13-2008 | 10:22 AM
Racer

some best buys prices vary due to market area. but just keep in mind youll need a bypass module of some sorts:

556u universal 50$ youll lose an extra key with this one. $30 to install

xk05 is a more asian specific module that learns your keys chip and stores it until you remote start the car. you dont lose a key. $80 for the module and $30 install

also the new pkall wich is $130ish if i remember right. does the same as the xk05 but might be a little more reliable. $30 install

they will also need to run the factory alarm disarm into your door to the alarm module wich can be a pain in the ass and will cost more. without this your factory alarm will go off when you remote start it and its still locked. and if they do make sure they run it through the factory grommet and not rig it up somehow.

make sure they look your wires up and have somone who knows what there doing take care of you. theres alot if great installers in this company but we also have idiots as well that can fuck some shit up.

if they just sale you the alarm and dont mention any of this, ask to speak to an isntaller and if he doesnt mention any of it, run. because theyll get in there and learn the hard way wich will do nothing but waste your time and possibly mess your car up.

other than that the 5701 is a great unit its brand new and some have been known to have glitches but thats moslty with the new keypads. but great unit overall.

pm me if you have any more questions.
Old 11-13-2008 | 11:06 AM
spaz

i have yet to get an alarm system for my car but when i do and i will be getting remote start with it i'll be mostly getting it for when i go camping with friends.
its so nice to hop into your car, use the remote start and crank up the heat as you fall asleep and then have the alarm turn your car back off a couple minutes later for you.
gotta love it.
Old 11-13-2008 | 11:10 AM
Intermediate

yea i got the viper 791 with remote start..i use the auto start every morning for the past year and a half and its still works fine....go with the viper 5701
Old 11-13-2008 | 12:56 PM
12volt Technician

Maybe if its installed by an idiot. as long as your crank time and tach signal are correct you will not have any starter problems. i install them every day. as for over crank most starters have an anti grind relay that works like a starter kill relay. or at least a negative trigger for it. but really just dont crank it when it started. turn the key two clicks and thats it. i have remotes starts in all 4 of my vehicles and none of them have an anti grind, even the one my mom drives, so i say get it in before it snows

Compustar Pro all the way. Viper/Clifford/Hornet/Python they are all the same. Compustar is the shit. Biased opinion
Old 11-13-2008 | 06:03 PM
Pro

I've had my Clifford RSX 3.5 alarm with remote start for about 5 years now. Everytime I have start my car, I use remote start and never had any problems with it. I rarely ever just crank the car normally. As some of the other posters mentioned, you might need a bypass module and will need to give up one of your keys (I used my valet key). This was the route I took.

At the time too, I also got auto-roll up as well. The windows go up when I hit the lock button and it eliminates the problem when you drive people and they don't roll up their windows. I think the module that was put in was two DEI666 or something like that (two because each module only controls two windows). I didn't want auto-down windows cause I really see no point to them. Anyways, your alarm is only as good as your installer. I personally wouldn't have someone at bestbuys install an alarm for me, but I'm not trying to say that they don't know what they are doing. I personally would have a professional alarm installer do the work.
Old 11-13-2008 | 06:15 PM
deal with it

i've had mine on for 3 years in december, and nothing has ever gone wrong with it, i have a clifford 3.5 matrix. I paid 450 intsalled, and if it wasn't for the bypass needed for remote start i would've paid 400 flat
Old 11-14-2008 | 06:44 PM
6MT Someday..

Ive got a Viper variant (DEI) remote start on my car. It works fine. Like others said, get a reputable brand and you should be fine.
Old 11-17-2008 | 12:30 AM
Instructor

I love remote start . I have viper 791xv(2-way keypad) with remote start,alarm, 530t(rolls up and down the window plus one touch(x2)), pop the trunk, and Viper led light on the front windshield. The retail for everything with install at Best Buy was around $1500.I love Best Buy. If you do have a problem with the alarm. Dei has a lifetime warranty on there alarms which is a plus And best buy will work on it if you have a problem with the alarm since bby has lifetime workmanship warranty too.
Old 11-17-2008 | 12:34 AM
Team Owner

1500 installed damn crazy i could get my ATLP and other stuff with 1500 LOL!!
Old 11-17-2008 | 01:13 AM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

Originally Posted by 8800honda
I love remote start . I have viper 791xv(2-way keypad) with remote start,alarm, 530t(rolls up and down the window plus one touch(x2)), pop the trunk, and Viper led light on the front windshield. The retail for everything with install at Best Buy was around $1500.I love Best Buy. If you do have a problem with the alarm. Dei has a lifetime warranty on there alarms which is a plus And best buy will work on it if you have a problem with the alarm since bby has lifetime workmanship warranty too.
1500, you got ripped off. I have the 791 with remote start/trunk pop, and window roll up. I paid about 200 for alarm, 40 for window module, and 120 for intall. If i wanted to do a window roll down would be another 40 for a module. I ordered alarm online, had a guy i kno install and paid alot less then what best buy wants. I would never have my car worked on at best buy.
Old 11-17-2008 | 01:15 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by harminder247
1500, you got ripped off. I have the 791 with remote start/trunk pop, and window roll up. I paid about 200 for alarm, 40 for window module, and 120 for intall. If i wanted to do a window roll down would be another 40 for a module. I ordered alarm online, had a guy i kno install and paid alot less then what best buy wants. I would never have my car worked on at best buy.

Why wouldnt you get your car worked on at best buy? I want my windows to go up and down plus remote start and trunk pop. What alarm you have python, viper?
Old 11-17-2008 | 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by 03TL_typeS
Why wouldnt you get your car worked on at best buy? I want my windows to go up and down plus remote start and trunk pop. What alarm you have python, viper?
Best buy is a rip off for install. I have my spots around town to pay a third of what they charge and know i can go back if i have problems. I ahve a viper. Been about 4 years and havent had one problem. Your not too far either .
Old 11-17-2008 | 02:23 AM
Instructor

I like my alarm so it was worth it. BBY installer are MECP Certified. Plus DEI Is only covered by a limited lifetime warranty when installed by an authorized Directed retailer.
Old 11-17-2008 | 03:01 AM
Pro

1500 bucks for an alarm and remote start = ripoff either way you look at it. But if you like it i guess its almost as cool as an ATLP
Old 11-17-2008 | 06:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Listen here bro i was asking a damn question no one ask you to reply i heard from actually different people that it could affect it so....i thought this was a form u dont gotta respond!
Actually you DID ask for a response.

And i quote

"Question for you remote starts ppl"
I was at best buy today checking out those new alarms that came out that look hella wierd but anyways im thinking on getting one, well best buy has it for 409 installed with remote start, now doesnt remote start screw up your starter because it sure did on my friends car.

SO give me your opinon you remote start users yes or no does it screw anything up??
Now like he and others said, Remote starter Does NOT screw up any thing on your car unless it wias installed by a complete buffoon. And even then i doubt it would. Starter grind, thats not the remote starts problem, thats the person putting the key in and turning it too far (if it doesnt have the anti grind hooked up.
Old 11-17-2008 | 09:54 AM
Racer

as long as the tach is hooked up, your ok. when you trigger the r/s the brain uses a tach signal to know when the car is started. this signal will also shut down the system if the tach breaks its threshhold - over or under revs. its almost safe to say its safer than you starting the car with a key. new dei r/s have a new virtual tach that watches fluctuations in current.

i have had r/s on all my vehicles and have installed hundreds and have never had a vehicle come back from a starter issue, let alone come back at all. actually one came back but thats because the guy didnt know how to use it.

bottom line is if the unit is installed correctly you will not have a problem unless you get a cold solder joint or the unit itself wigs out. and this holds true with dei's warranty wiether it be their lifetime product warranty or thier one year insurance reimbursment ifyour car is stolen mess. and yes it has to be installed by a directed dealer and a few connections MUST be connected or no warranty.

as far as cost, i believe in getting what you pay for. getting your homy at a local mom and pop shop isnt my cup of tea, not saying that they cant do it or have the skills. bestbuy has a lifetime warranty on the installation itself and you have a lifetime warranty on the dei unit itself, you cant go wrong. 1500 is a little iffy but, ex. if you do not wire the window mods correctly you can really mess some stuff up, there are data lines that run to each switch from the drivers switch and thru the bcm. you can fry a switch with thier miny relays or you can fry a transistor on the bcm. id pay the extra money to have a knowledgable, certified, experienced installer just drive my car, let alone install anything into it. but getting bent over for it i dont believe is right, but to each his own.
Old 11-17-2008 | 10:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by harminder247
you payed almost full price for the install, the same that best buy charges. rip off? you saved your money buying things form an online source. no problem with that, but some people choose not to do this. do you have a valid warranty on the unit itself, what happens if you move, is this same shop everywhere? not bash'n but some people have different opinions.
Old 11-17-2008 | 11:00 AM
T-Swzy

i got a python installed for 320 bucks, works like a charm. i leave the seat warmer and heat on whenever i exit at night. in the morning i flip it on and 10 mins later i go out and it's nice and toasty and the fluids are running and the block isnt ice cold anymore
Old 11-17-2008 | 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ice2fire11
you payed almost full price for the install, the same that best buy charges. rip off? you saved your money buying things form an online source. no problem with that, but some people choose not to do this. do you have a valid warranty on the unit itself, what happens if you move, is this same shop everywhere? not bash'n but some people have different opinions.
Well you think too far ahead. Best buy can close, its a risk anywhere you get it installed. I had my cousins friend who live not to far from me do the install. I can drop by whenever and get it taken out. He also went ahead and showed me how so its not difficult. My cousins alarm did go out. He took out the brain module and sent it to dei and they replaced it. Warranty is no issue either way. As far as installations, spend alot more if you want. I wouldnt leave my car at any old shop. I goto ones i can trust and know will get the work done. Theres only two audio shops i goto and leave my car at, prices are good, service is good, and met them thorough a friend. I mostly goto my cousins buddy since he does the best jobs and shows me how. Everyones entitled to their own opinion. If you like best buy and dont mind spending more by all means go but i personally would never.