Question on Using TSX Speakers for BT Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008 | 01:00 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Question on Using TSX Speakers for BT Kit

I have searched, but most people have used various harnesses to install their bluetooth kit, as well as an external speaker. I tried a Drive & Talk harness for my Raytel Tellphone 5000vi in my '05 TSX nav, and it would intermittently cut out my left tweeter and left front door speaker. The Parrot Quick Connect harness appears to tap into the same plug at the amp, so I assume the results would be the same. Since power (ignition and ACC) is being pulled via the amp, the BT kit wouldn't power up unless I turned the radio on. I ran with an external, low wattage speaker for a bit, but there were times that I had trouble hearing it because of the limited amount of areas I could mount it.

So, I figured I'd just hardwire all of the connections myself. I ran all my power connections to the fuse box, and grounded the kit to the chassis. I was going to run a line to pin A-14 of the harness that plugs into the head unit so that I could utilize the radio's mute function... I just have to figure out the polarity of the mute trigger on my kit.

My question is, if I'd like to hear my calls via my right front speaker, do I have to splice into the speaker lines preamp, or can I just splice into the wires that run directly into the speaker itself? I'm not sure if the signal from the BT kit is enough to power the door speaker.

I'm a car stereo/speaker noob (but very comfortable working on the rest of the car), so please forgive my ignorance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-02-2008 | 02:07 PM
10th Gear

Amadeus,

I just posted this, but I thought you might be able to help-- any idea about the excess wires? will i need them with the harness? Also, do you know how to take out the stereo?:

I just received the Parrot CK3100 in the mail yesterday, and after lots of help from RYANHOOK and JAXFLTSX, I know mostly how I will physically get the Parrot installed (running the mic, the easy stuff). Although, if someone could let me know how to take out the stereo, I would appreciate it--- don't see any any exposed screws or clips or anything.

ANYWAY, I opened the box and HOLY SH!T... What did I get myself into? I am kinda tech savvy, but when it comes to wiring, yea right. I installed a USASPEC Ipod thing in my car, which was really really easy--- literally plug into the back of the head unit and it worked... So for the parrot, I did spend the 50 bucks on the wire harness, but something tells me i'm going to need to do more than just plug it into the back of the stereo (which as I mentioned before, I'm not quite sure how to get out). Theres all sorts of extra wires that need to be pluged into the mute and ignition and crazy stuff like that--- Does anyone have pix of the actual install process--- Or, if anyone has installed with the harness--- is it going to be as easy to just plug in as my Ipod adapter was? Theres all sorts of extra wires that don't go into the preassembled clips that seem like they must have to plug into somewhere...

Thanks for any help I can get!

Oh btw, 2005 TSX 6MT no-nav
Old 07-02-2008 | 11:53 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Hey Wade,

Since you purchased a Parrot kit, I would absolutely go with a Quick Connect harness for a plug and play solution. This will give you the mute function, and based on the pinouts, run the call audio through all 4 speakers (versus just the front passenger speaker for other mute harnesses). The wiring isn't too difficult provided you're comfortable soldering wires together --- I wouldn't use T-taps, especially since you'll probably have to tap into the pre-amp signals. The harness will run you about $150 + shipping (expensive, yes), but the area around the amp in the TSX is a little tight and will take a little patience.

If you do decide to wire everything yourself, this is the approach I would take to make things "straighforward":
1) Wire the permanent and switched +12V wires straight to the fusebox using "Add-a-Circuit" adapaters.
2) Wire the ground wire to the chassis. I use one of the bolts in the driver's right kick panel. You'll see it after you remove the panel.
3) Wire the + and - channel outputs to the harness that plugs into the amp. I'll try to find a post with the schematics for the TSX. When you take the storage bin out (which you did to install the USA Spec), the amp is located directly below. You'll see a light blue plug.
4) Purchase a Bosch relay and wire the switched power and mute wire to it. You should purchase a relay with a terminal 87a (NC or normally closed). The mute wire drops to 0 when the kit "activates"... you must use a relay because the the headunit requires a +12v signal to trigger the radio to mute.
5) Wire the output from the relay to pin #14 in the plug that goes into the headunit... this would be your USA Spec plug.
6) Now you see why it's easier to use the Quick Connect harness? lol
Old 07-03-2008 | 09:59 AM
10th Gear

Great! Thanks for the write up... Are you saying I have to sodder wires AFTER buying the harness though?? Maybe I should leave this to experts... I don't really trust my own electrician work as far as splicing or soderring or anything like that... plugging stuff in is fine with me though! Kinda sucks that the wiring will cost me more than the kit itself! blah... wish someone was selling one on ebay!
Old 07-03-2008 | 04:28 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Haha... no. I reread what I wrote, and I ran my 2 passages together. I'm saying, make sure to get the harness so you DON'T have to worry about splicing anything Quick Connect makes the harnesses specifically for the Parrot kits, so it's pure plug and play (a la USA Spec).

If you decide to try to wire it yourself, it's not too difficult as long as your comfortable doing that kind of work in your car.

Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by wadeawfu
Great! Thanks for the write up... Are you saying I have to sodder wires AFTER buying the harness though?? Maybe I should leave this to experts... I don't really trust my own electrician work as far as splicing or soderring or anything like that... plugging stuff in is fine with me though! Kinda sucks that the wiring will cost me more than the kit itself! blah... wish someone was selling one on ebay!

Last edited by amadeus303; 07-03-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-06-2008 | 03:53 PM
Instructor

Buy a car stereo with blue tooth in it I bought a Pioneer 980bt and never would I buy one of those things. This stereo has more features for the phone than anything else but it is still a great deck, 5v preamps and 13 band EQ plus a ton more. Not many people stick with stock so if your gonna spend money get as much as you can for your money. I know you bought it already but this is my take on it. I thought about one of those things when they first came out but opted to put money in an all in one.