Question for Elduderino - Pioneer AVIC-N1

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question for Elduderino - Pioneer AVIC-N1

Hey Elduderinio,

I read the audio/video section pretty much everyday, so I've seen a lot of your posts and replies. I gotta lot of respect for you man. You know a lot!

Anyway, I'm planning to put the Pioneer AVIC-N1 deck in my car. Here are my current plans. The deck is on the way to my house and will be here on Monday.

I want to put the deck in the storage bin location. I ordered the Acura OEM Mp3 player attachment kit, so that I don't have to get any custom work done. I already have the SNHOND3 AUX cable, so I plan to just hook up the output of the Pioneer deck RCA to the input of the SNHOND3.

Picture of the mounting location along with the OEM mp3 deck.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/tsx.html

What are your opinions on this setup?

Do you think the mp3 attachment kit will work for me?

I heard the Pioneer deck is pretty heavy, so do you tink I will have issues with this kit supporting the deck?

Do you think the screen will be able to open all the way?

I am going to get the system professionally installed. I have done some of my own wiring in the past, but I am very worried about locating and splicing into the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). Is this difficult to locate and splice into?

I appreciate your feedback and I also welcome other peoples' opinions.

Thanks...Kenny
Old 08-19-2004, 08:20 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
High praise from another Ken : ) Thanks -and thank the person who told me about your post.

I haven't installed an AVIC-1 and I haven't seen the attachment kit in person. However, I suspect that the kit will probably support it OK. OE brackets are usually more sturdy than the aftermarket dash kits that hold most CD players in place.

There were some photos on this site by a guy that installed an AVIC-1 in a wooden panel. The biggest concerns I have are about opening the screen - I think he had to nose that unit out pretty far.

http://web.njit.edu/~mxl4729/other/tsx/ is where he posted his photos... just looked again (under headunit screen) and I am not a fan of having to nose it out that far. The Dash overhang is awfully tough to get past, methinks. The other problem is viewing angle on an LCD - you get grayscale inversion that makes the LCD hard to read if you don't get it to the coorect viewing angle.

I think the best option ergonomically, IF the OE bracket doesn't do what you'd like it to, is to remove the NOT AN ASHTRAY as well, and in the space created when you yard out the factory amp, aim the AVIC-1 up at like a 45-degree angle (Note: make sure the disc drive will work at that angle first).

This would be totally custom, probably a sheet metal bracket with a bondo/paint fascia...

Sorry, gotta run, meeting a friend for dinner...
Old 08-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about this housing, will it open all the way with the OEM attachment kit?
Old 08-19-2004, 11:16 PM
VP Electricity

I am more worried about the top rear edge of the monitor hitting the overhang above the mounting location.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Instructor

There are no problems with the LCD display no matter what angle you look at it, unless you lean it all the way forward obviously. The Snhond3 is useless with the AVIC-N1 all you need is a regular rca wire to connect it to the av in slot. However, when using the AV to run the ipod, there will be no background display, which doesnt really bother me cause I always have the screen set to the navi mode anyway. If you want to be able to view the backgrounds you will need to order a part from pioneer, so that you can hook the wire up to the aux in and not the AV in. I do not think the screen is going to be able to open all the way with the mp3 attachment kit, as mine barely has enough room to open up, and i have a custom kit that is mounted as far forward as possible. I could be wrong but, from my experience I think you might have a problem with the mp3 kit.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Instructor

I also have not been able to find the VSS wire yet, but i am waiting to hear from alldata to see if they have any new info on the TSX because it is still rather new.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Thanks for the replies!

Elduderino:

That is a pretty interesting idea you had elduderino. I am to take it into one of the high end stereo shops in town and see what they think. They did show me pictures of a Pioneer N1 install they did on a TSX and it looked good. What they did though was just cut a hole in the current storage bin and mount the deck there. They did the job when the car first came out, and before they knew there was an mp3 attachment kit available. When I asked them if the screen opened then they said that it was able to open and being to see it was not an issue. It made me wonder though, because when I asked to see a pic of the screen while it was open, then they did not have one. They said the guy came and picked it up and was in a rush, so they barely had time to take photos. Sounded a little funny to me. I'm thinking about asking them to guarantee that they will be able to mount the deck so I can see the screen.

You had an idea to mount it at a 45 degree angle. I'm worried that the wiring in the back of the unit will rub and get bent. What do you think?

Also, I would like to keep my "Not an Ashtray". I have the valentine 1 radar with concealed display and I plug it in there, and have the conceal displayed attached to the end of the 12v DC adapter.

I was also thinking as a last resort, if I did mount it using the mp3 attachment kit and I can't see the screen well enough. I would just mount a 7" monitor in my visor. This would be way cool, especially when I use the navigation. I would not be able to use touch screen controls on the visor monitor, but I guess you can't have it all...lol...

Well...I have a lot of thinking to do, damn...!! Whatever route I go, I will post pictures!
Old 08-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by Abrams
There are no problems with the LCD display no matter what angle you look at it, unless you lean it all the way forward obviously. The Snhond3 is useless with the AVIC-N1 all you need is a regular rca wire to connect it to the av in slot. However, when using the AV to run the ipod, there will be no background display, which doesnt really bother me cause I always have the screen set to the navi mode anyway. If you want to be able to view the backgrounds you will need to order a part from pioneer, so that you can hook the wire up to the aux in and not the AV in. I do not think the screen is going to be able to open all the way with the mp3 attachment kit, as mine barely has enough room to open up, and i have a custom kit that is mounted as far forward as possible. I could be wrong but, from my experience I think you might have a problem with the mp3 kit.
Hey Abrams,

So you're the one with the N1? I've looked at your site a lot...Your carz tight man...

I'm confused on why you said the SNHONDA3 would be useless. I would just hook my audio output from the N1 to the input of the SNHONDA3. The SNHONDA3 plugs directly into the factory deck and provides sound to the AUX input. Could you please clarify?

Also, so you said you mounted the deck all the way to the front. I do know that the Pioneer screen on that deck will push outwards about 3/4 inch. Do you have your N1 display set that when it opens it pops out the extra 3/4 inch? I was playing with it in the store and noticed this.

Also...please take a look at http://www.handa-accessories.com/tsx.html

Click on the acutal picture of the mp3 player and you will see a zoomed in view of the kit. It looks like the top edge of the kit is not as deep as the Storage bin sits. it looks like it is angled up more like 1/2" or so. I hoping this will help me will the screen clearance. I'm still not sure though. I might have to just buy the kit and see. It's risky, but if it works, it will look clean!

Also, what do you think about my idea from above with mounting a 7" screen in my visor?

I understand about what you're saying with the Pioneer cable and not be able to see backgrounds. YOu mean the RB10 cable that plugs directly into the IP BUS Aux input. You must have yours hooked up through the IP Bus A/V input. Fortunely, I already have that cable from an older pioneer deck that i have.

I haven't looked for the VSS wire, but when I get mine installed, I will ask the installer where it is located. I would like to know myself so I can see how deep into my car they are going. My car only has 1700 miles, so I don't want them going too deep. Does Navi still work without the VSS wire hooked up?

Thanks a lot for replies man....I just gotta keep thinking...! You guys are helping a lot though!
Old 08-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Hey Abrams,

Do you know if the rear video output on the pioneer deck will also allow me to view the navigation screen?

I'm worried that I were to get a monitor mounted in my visor, that I would only be able to watch video, and not be able to see the navigation.

I think the rear output is ment primarily for the "tri-zone" feature which allows people in the back seat to watch video on a seperate monitor, while the driver is still using the Navi.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Instructor

ok i will try to answer as many questions as i can very quick so if i miss anything let me know

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Hey Abrams,

Also, what do you think about my idea from above with mounting a 7" screen in my visor?
this will not work for nav because the deck has a high rez screen so u can read the maps. the output on the nav is composite which is not high rez and you will not be able to read anything. I have added extra screen screens to other cars and reading maps is impossible.

I looked into using the mp3 player mount or the storage pocket but did not for a couple reasons.
1. with both mounts the screen pivot point was to far back and the angle was unreadable.

2. it did not fit in ether i would have had to heavily mod them and i thought it was less work to start from scratch.

3. i was able to secure the headunit better with what i made. it used metal straps from the mount i made and extended all the way down to the floor . i then screwed the straps to the metal supports on the sides of the consol.

i still need to update so many of the photos on my sight http://web.njit.edu/~mxl4729/other/tsx/
but this all takes time and i am working on many other projects

as for the vss wire you do not need it. the only time it is used is if u go into a tunnel and lose your gps signal. the vss wire keeps on feeding the nav unit pulses proportional to the speed that the car is moving at. this way the car keeps moving on the map other wise the car stops moving on the map and then starts again when it come out of the tunnel.

i have access to alldata but that info is not up yet and it is not that important that i have made time to call them yet.
i have been told that i could find it on the passenger side under at the computer and that it was one of the white blue wires. i got down there will a oscilloscope and probed all the blue and white wires and none were the vss wire.

i have many more pics to post but do not have the time right now.

i am sure i forgot things so ask if i missed things
Old 08-21-2004, 01:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
tsx536, if you truly want the avic n1 to fit flush, best spot is right where the air vent, above the cd player, is at. just have to do some bondo/fiberglass work to make it looks flush and re route the air vent towards the bottom. i've seen it on integra, also i was planing to do that but car got jacked!
Old 08-21-2004, 04:14 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

ok i will try to answer as many questions as i can very quick so if i miss anything let me know

this will not work for nav because the deck has a high rez screen so u can read the maps. the output on the nav is composite which is not high rez and you will not be able to read anything. I have added extra screen screens to other cars and reading maps is impossible.

I looked into using the mp3 player mount or the storage pocket but did not for a couple reasons.
1. with both mounts the screen pivot point was to far back and the angle was unreadable.

2. it did not fit in ether i would have had to heavily mod them and i thought it was less work to start from scratch.

3. i was able to secure the headunit better with what i made. it used metal straps from the mount i made and extended all the way down to the floor . i then screwed the straps to the metal supports on the sides of the consol.

i still need to update so many of the photos on my sight http://web.njit.edu/~mxl4729/other/tsx/
but this all takes time and i am working on many other projects

as for the vss wire you do not need it. the only time it is used is if u go into a tunnel and lose your gps signal. the vss wire keeps on feeding the nav unit pulses proportional to the speed that the car is moving at. this way the car keeps moving on the map other wise the car stops moving on the map and then starts again when it come out of the tunnel.

i have access to alldata but that info is not up yet and it is not that important that i have made time to call them yet.
i have been told that i could find it on the passenger side under at the computer and that it was one of the white blue wires. i got down there will a oscilloscope and probed all the blue and white wires and none were the vss wire.

i have many more pics to post but do not have the time right now.

i am sure i forgot things so ask if i missed things
Do you think that you could send me a sideview picture of your monitor? Is there any clearance between the back of the monitor and the AC controls? Are you able to push the buttons still without closing the monitor?

So how much research did you do with looking into the mp3 attachment kit?
I was really counting on going with that install so that I would not have to get too much custom work done. Did it seem like the viewing angle was really that bad?

thanks for your input...I did not think about how a external screen could not get a clear enough picture because of the composite video. That definitely makes sense.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:17 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
tsx536, if you truly want the avic n1 to fit flush, best spot is right where the air vent, above the cd player, is at. just have to do some bondo/fiberglass work to make it looks flush and re route the air vent towards the bottom. i've seen it on integra, also i was planing to do that but car got jacked!
That's a good idea, but I was really hoping to keep a more stock look. Getting my AC vents moved is a little more than I want to do. I will keep thinking though. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Instructor

You have access to the teperature control that increases/decreases the temp on the driver and passenger side, but the screen covers all the buttons in the middle. However there is a button on the unit that folds the screen down for about 10 seconds so you can set the temp or turn the defrost on etc... the screen then automatically repositions itself to the set angle.

Even the way I have it set up with it mounted all the way forward, I still have to increase the angle so it leans forward more. And when I disconnect the battery or reset the unit, I have to make sure to be ready to hit the button a few times or else the screen pushes against the AC controls.

"I have the SNHOND3 AUX cable, so I plan to just hook up the output of the Pioneer deck RCA to the input of the SNHOND3."

The SNHOND3 cable is only for the stock deck, once you put an aftermarket headunit in all you need is an rca wire that splits for a headphone jack.

I will post pics for you as soon as i can.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:15 AM
Advanced

You have access to the teperature control that increases/decreases the temp on the driver and passenger side, but the screen covers all the buttons in the middle. However there is a button on the unit that folds the screen down for about 10 seconds so you can set the temp or turn the defrost on etc... the screen then automatically repositions itself to the set angle.

Even the way I have it set up with it mounted all the way forward, I still have to increase the angle so it leans forward more. And when I disconnect the battery or reset the unit, I have to make sure to be ready to hit the button a few times or else the screen pushes against the AC controls.

"I have the SNHOND3 AUX cable, so I plan to just hook up the output of the Pioneer deck RCA to the input of the SNHOND3."

The SNHOND3 cable is only for the stock deck, once you put an aftermarket headunit in all you need is an rca wire that splits for a headphone jack.

I will post pics for you as soon as i can.
So without using the Soundgate SNHOND3....you basically wired all of the speakers into the AVICN1. So the Stock deck is useless???? Please clarify
Old 09-27-2004, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Correct, the stock deck is useless, and I cut the power to it so it does not even turn on anymore. The SNHOND 3 is made so that you can hook up an auxilary such as a cd changer or mp3 player to the STOCK stereo. If you put an aftermarket stereo that is going to run your system, then all you need to do is connect a "Y" audio cable. You can find whatever you need here

http://web.belkin.com/mp3/matrix/index.asp?cid=1&lid=1

but you can probably find a cable like that at most audio stores.

However my friend has told me that by purchasing the Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector, and hooking the "Y" cable into that you will get better sound because it connect through the docking connection on the bottom of the ipod, as supposed to running the "Y" cable right into the top earphone jack on the ipod.

I just ordered the Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector, so I will let you know how big of a difference it makes.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:43 AM
VP Electricity

Correct, the stock deck is useless, and I cut the power to it so it does not even turn on anymore. The SNHOND 3 is made so that you can hook up an auxilary such as a cd changer or mp3 player to the STOCK stereo. If you put an aftermarket stereo that is going to run your system, then all you need to do is connect a "Y" audio cable.
Actually, a "Y" cable is not the best way to connect two sources... you can have problems.

Soundgate also makes a switcher, as does PAC, that allows two sources to switch while isolating the other.

How's your FM reception now that you cut the stock deck? I wonder if you are powering the FM Antenna Amp "coil" any longer?
Old 09-27-2004, 10:00 AM
Instructor

Fm Raido Is Just Fine Buddy
Old 09-27-2004, 10:12 AM
VP Electricity

Hmmm... according to the factory wiring diagram, the "Antenna Power Wire" which acts just like a Remote On wire out of the deck, sends 12V to the FM Amp, which is in the Passenger C pillar. This location is why the class D amps seems to mess with the reception... but anyway, if you're not powering that wire, your amp ain't turning on... if you grab that wire at the factory audio amp location and power it, I bet your FM reception gets better. You could grab it at the pillar, but that's probably a lot of work...

FYI, Fm radio will come in to some degree with no antenna at all, so getting some reception without the amp on isn't unusual.