Question concerning Alpine HDD deck

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Pimp Master T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question concerning Alpine HDD deck

Thinking of installing a new Alpine HDD deck in the TSX, just wondering if it would isntall just like a regular MP3 player would. The unit can be found here:
http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/...y=20&p_main=10.
Just wondering where it does have it's own amp, would it just be a straight AUX input to the factory deck? Thanks for any input.

T
Old 11-23-2004, 11:55 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
From the Crutchfield website (selling the MSRP $1K unit for $369 at present):

The HDA-5460 can be controlled by an Alpine Ai-NET head unit or manually controlled when connected to a non-Ai-NET head unit. A switch, located on the bottom of the HDD player, can be set to the desired operation. When connected to an Ai-NET receiver, you need only connect the Ai-NET cable and power/ground wires. The HDD is turned on/off by the receiver. When used as a stand alone unit, you will need to connect the RCA audio outputs and the power/ground wires. The HDD turns on with a press of any of the main buttons or levers, and turns off by holding in the power button for at least two seconds...

Important Note: The HDA-5460 has no tuner, tape mechanism, CD drive or amplifier, and has no volume control. For proper operation, it must be connected to a head unit capable of inputting the HDD's audio signal (via Ai-NET or aux input).

So plugging this into an SHOND or Blitz oughta work just fine.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:59 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
also..from crutchfield:

"can be installed in a double-DIN dash opening, or custom-mounted in a remote location"

Watch out...because it look like it would fit in a single din. You would have to go straight custom to get this intalled.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:02 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by Tsx536
also..from crutchfield:

"can be installed in a double-DIN dash opening, or custom-mounted in a remote location"

Watch out...because it look like it would fit in a single din. You would have to go straight custom to get this intalled.
Uh, actually, not - it IS a single DIN chassis. They are simply trying to make sure you have enough room for the other HU this is going to feed into (for Crutchfield, usually an Alpine). It is a single DIN, they are just trying to avoid selling it to customers who only have a single DIN slot and no OE radio with AUX in (The TSX config is pretty rare)
Old 11-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Pimp Master T

Originally Posted by elduderino

The HDA-5460 can be controlled by an Alpine Ai-NET head unit or manually controlled when connected to a non-Ai-NET head unit. A switch, located on the bottom of the HDD player, can be set to the desired operation. When connected to an Ai-NET receiver, you need only connect the Ai-NET cable and power/ground wires. The HDD is turned on/off by the receiver. When used as a stand alone unit, you will need to connect the RCA audio outputs and the power/ground wires. The HDD turns on with a press of any of the main buttons or levers, and turns off by holding in the power button for at least two seconds...

Important Note: The HDA-5460 has no tuner, tape mechanism, CD drive or amplifier, and has no volume control. For proper operation, it must be connected to a head unit capable of inputting the HDD's audio signal (via Ai-NET or aux input).

Exactly, I was going to mount in in the little cubby hole used for the factory MP3 player. So basically, I will need to do is add something (SHOND) so the factory 6 disk can accept RCA inputs.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Pimp Master T

Do you think it is worth it or should I just get an IPod??
Old 11-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Pimp Master T

So is there not a stock AUX input on the stock system?? What is with the AUX button?
Old 11-23-2004, 01:42 PM
VP Electricity

See SHOND threads...AUX is accessible with adapter...
Old 11-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Pimp Master T

See SHOND threads...AUX is accessible with adapter...
Ok, thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Pimp Master T

Do you have a web link for the Blitz? Thanks

T
Old 11-23-2004, 02:56 PM
VP Electricity

The Blitzsafe.com site says it's not yet available for TSX but the threads say different... I don't have one for that product myself. I would check posts by Humperdood as I think he bought one...
Old 11-23-2004, 03:48 PM
VP Electricity

Oh, and I would prefer the iPod and an ICElink if you are an iPod fan...
Old 11-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

l
Old 11-23-2004, 04:07 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Good to know..it's single din....it looks pretty interesting. It looked single din to me in the picture, but now I get what they are trying to say.

The only thing I would be worried about is how to load songs onto the deck.
I think you load via USB. You would have to have a laptop though in order to load songs onto it. Not sure how convienent that would be.

The portability of the Ipod is kind of nice too. You just gotta figure out if you want something you can bring around. Also take into account the $70-90 for the OEM kit.

I would prefer icelink & Ipod myself. I'm a fan of the portability of the Ipod.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:42 PM
VP Electricity

This does not load that way... it has a removeable hard disc drive...

HDD Control (Hard Disc Drive)

BioLight Display
DJ Music Mix (Music Genre DJ Interface)
Detachable HDD (16GB)
MP3/WMA/WAV Playback Capability
Mobile Multimedia Driver Software
Music Visualizer
Quick Search Function
Stand Alone Play
Stores approximately 3,000 songs
Old 11-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Oh okay...Looks pretty cool man...It's still not as portable as an Ipod though.

Thanks Eld...I was having a slow day this morning...I was a little lazy to read earlier....
Old 11-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

That thing looks awesome. I'm definitely tempted.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Still here

Now it would be even nicer if you could upgrade the drive to a new 120G unit. Just use a image program to copy over the important Alpine files.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:21 AM
VP Electricity

Yeah, but is this unit or the Kenwood Music Keg or the Rockford OmniFi things making any money? Are they being bought? How many times are you willing to download files?

I think Alpine decided that the iPod is the file carrier to bet on, and made that interface... this unit is on sale for over $500 off... it's probably disco'd, and I have $5 that says that Alpine won't replace it for 2005...
Old 11-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Pimp Master T

Yeah, but is this unit or the Kenwood Music Keg or the Rockford OmniFi things making any money? Are they being bought? How many times are you willing to download files?

I think Alpine decided that the iPod is the file carrier to bet on, and made that interface... this unit is on sale for over $500 off... it's probably disco'd, and I have $5 that says that Alpine won't replace it for 2005...
I just find it look cleaner all installed, just like another CD deck. Don't like having the Ipod all sticking out, plus you would have to find a place to mount it and the screen on the Ipod looks shitty. Plus i have multiple MP3 players (just not with the capacity of an IPod) so I don't need another portable.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:39 AM
Pimp Master T

Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
That thing looks awesome. I'm definitely tempted.
Ebay has multiple items at good prices, http://search.ebay.ca/Alpine-HDA-546...ordsperpageZ50
Old 11-24-2004, 11:10 AM
Future Seminole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ipod is way better due to the simplicity of its interface. try scrolling through your entire music collection one song at a time...
Old 11-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Pimp Master T

Originally Posted by acuratsx03
ipod is way better due to the simplicity of its interface. try scrolling through your entire music collection one song at a time...
Well as far as I know, the Alpine organizes you music collection the same way as the IPod, into libraries:

The HDA-5460 comes with its own software for easy downloading, creating and editing playlists. A Quick Search function makes it easy to find and play songs, and DJ Playback selects and announces songs in 10 categories. Also the music visualizer graphics and sharp bright BioLite display make the graphics easy to view even in daylight.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:39 PM
VP Electricity

UI is a tricky thing. For some, PCs and Macs have functionally similar user interfaces. For others, they feel comfortable with one and totally uncomfortable with the other.

In WSJ reviews, Walter Mossberg has repeatedly picked the iPod over less costly and more fully-featured units due to the way the user interface works. Whether there are cascaded folders or not, the UI can be great or suck. I run into awful UI's all the time (especially created by firmware engineers with no UI experience at all who wonder why Windows ever replaced the DOS command line) and convincing engineers that these must be changed is painful.

But try writing a manual for a product, and you discover how much sense the UI makes...
Old 11-24-2004, 02:04 PM
2004 TSX

A buddy has this

http://www.ssiamerica.com/

It does take up some space though, as you have to mount the unit some where accessible(trunk? maybe in our cars)...And the wired remote can be mounted DIN size..

http://www.ssiamerica.com/products/n...-with-in-d.jpg

but 120 gig version is only $400 right from them..
Old 11-30-2004, 08:48 AM
Stardog Champion

One issue with the ipod, according to Apple, is that you can't leave it in your car in hot weather. I am absolutely not going to carry a stupid ipod around with me in the mall, in restaurants, etc. I suppose if I were a girl and had a purse it would be OK. At least the Alpine unit seems to be designed to withstand the rigors of being installed in a car.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I"ve heard the same thing...but is this actually true?

Are all of the Icelink owners taking it out of there car a lot?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:14 PM
VP Electricity

Well, it IS a portable MP3 player...
Old 11-30-2004, 01:34 PM
2004 TSX

Also, I think it depends on how hot your car actually gets. Where I live, you don't really leave anything in the car that you care about, cel phone, sunglasses, mp3 player, etc, all get taken out of my car each day, like while I'm at work. But at work the car sits in an open lot. So it's a judgement call really...5% tint only does so much...
Old 01-02-2005, 02:01 AM
yup.

BUMPing this thread, picked up one for $297 shipped (use PA380 for 10% off.)

I took apart the HDD cartridge, and it uses a standard Toshiba 16GB laptop hard drive, which can be physically replaced. Haven't taken a look at the contents on the Toshiba drive yet, but I'm sure it has some stuff on there that needs to be carried over to the new drive.

Will post more after the install.

(I have been using a creative nomad zen xtra 60GB -> 80GB with the SHOND adapter, and was looking for something a little less floppy to use in the car.)